Can you help this local Iraqi War veteran with medical expenses?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hey everybody,

SSG Mike Nelson has had problems with PTSD and his pancreas which are causing medical costs to really add up these days.

He is from Fort Wayne, and there will be a local benefit to raise funds for his care on Sunday, 13 November 2011, at Calhoun Street Soups, Salads, And Spirits, 1915 South Calhoun Street in Fort Wayne from 1:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m.

Please take a look at the Facebook event for the benefit to see all the details about it, to learn more about SSG Nelson, and to find out how you can help.

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=265680380143872

There will be a raffle for some guns and other things, and you can buy tickets online! The link to where you can donate online is hard to find on the Facebook page, so here's a link to that.

https://secure.piryx.com/donate/d4KVcUND/Mike-Nelson-Benefit/

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    not knocking the fundraiser or anything, but i know many people i served w/ suffering from PTSD, as well as other service related issues. ANY injury both physical and mental that can be attributed to military service is 100 percent paid for in full by the VA. i dont understand why their needs to be a fundraiser?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    not knocking the fundraiser or anything, but i know many people i served w/ suffering from PTSD, as well as other service related issues. ANY injury both physical and mental that can be attributed to military service is 100 percent paid for in full by the VA. i dont understand why their needs to be a fundraiser?

I wonder the same thing every time I see these kind of requests. Also the ones about paying for wounded and killed service men's kids college. I was under the assumption that was taken care of. I, of course could be, and probably am wrong here, set me straight?!

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Do you have a non-Facebook link about him? I click and it asks me to login. I don't have an account there.

Is there a web page to look at raffle items and/or buy tickets

Sure! Here ya go.

You can buy tickets or make donations here:

Rifle Raffle
    • Bushmaster AR-15
    • Ruger 10/22
    • Stoeger Air Rifle

Rifle Raffle Tickets
    • 1 for $20
    • 3 for $50

All firearms won or purchased will be transferred at no cost by INGO's very own 21st Century Firearms. (All Local, State, and Federal laws apply)

There is also a 50/50 cash drawing, door prizes, and a silent auction. I don't have a comprehensive list of the items in the silent auction, but here are some items I see mentioned on the "wall" of the Facebook event.

Some Silent Auction Items
    • iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    • Laptop
    • Movies
    • 98 Tippmann Custom Platinum
    • Muzzleloader

Some Silent Auction Donors Thanked on the Facebook Page
    • Autumn Ridge and Cherry Hill Golf
    • PB Sports
    • Ultrazone
    • Quaker Steak and Lube
    • Absolute Tan
    • Carmike Cinema
    • KDZ Kustoms
    • GI Joes
    • Mark Fore Sales

Cash Raffle Tickets
    • 1 Ticket for $1
    • 6 Tickets for $5

You do NOT need to be present to win the 50/50 raffle or the rifle raffle.

If you prefer to donate or purchase tickets by check, make checks payable to:
    Disabled American Veterans
    Chapter 40
    4856 Dwight Dr.
    Fort Wayne, IN 46835

Be sure to put "Mike Nelson" on the memo line of the check.

why isnt tricare taking care of these expenses?

Has he even been in contact with the VA???

I'm not sure of the details. I don't even know this guy, but I saw the event on Facebook and decided to share it; what is posted on the Facebook page is literally all I know. My guess is that they claim the pancreatitis isn't related to his military service. I'll see what I can find out, though.

Thank you for posting this. I was on that 2003 deployment. (I was with Battlion) I did not know how bad its been for him. I will try to help out.

Thanks for your service and your willingness to help out! :patriot:

Mayday671

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Monroeville

I organized this event and Mike was in the process of completing the VA packet. However he became sick and in a Medically induced coma before the paperwork was finished. That was over two months ago so the VA hasn't been able to help him at this moment, not to mention the VA does not move fast. He also has a legitimate lawsuit with his previous employer but isn't healthy enough to pursue that or have the money to approach that yet. We have received help from the DAV and this event was organized to bring many of us veterans back together for a reunion and to donate some money to a brother of ours. Not to mention it is a great opportunity to win a rifle.

Mayday671

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Monroeville
    Sure! Here ya go.

You can buy tickets or make donations here:

Rifle Raffle
    • Bushmaster AR-15
    • Ruger 10/22
    • Stoeger Air Rifle

Rifle Raffle Tickets
    • 1 for $20
    • 3 for $50

All firearms won or purchased will be transferred at no cost by INGO's very own 21st Century Firearms. (All Local, State, and Federal laws apply)

There is also a 50/50 cash drawing, door prizes, and a silent auction. I don't have a comprehensive list of the items in the silent auction, but here are some items I see mentioned on the "wall" of the Facebook event.

Some Silent Auction Items
    • iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    • Laptop
    • Movies
    • 98 Tippmann Custom Platinum
    • Muzzleloader

Some Silent Auction Donors Thanked on the Facebook Page
    • Autumn Ridge and Cherry Hill Golf
    • PB Sports
    • Ultrazone
    • Quaker Steak and Lube
    • Absolute Tan
    • Carmike Cinema
    • KDZ Kustoms
    • GI Joes
    • Mark Fore Sales

Cash Raffle Tickets
    • 1 Ticket for $1
    • 6 Tickets for $5

You do NOT need to be present to win the 50/50 raffle or the rifle raffle.

If you prefer to donate or purchase tickets by check, make checks payable to:
    Disabled American Veterans
    Chapter 40
    4856 Dwight Dr.
    Fort Wayne, IN 46835

Be sure to put "Mike Nelson" on the memo line of the check.

I'm not sure of the details. I don't even know this guy, but I saw the event on Facebook and decided to share it; what is posted on the Facebook page is literally all I know. My guess is that they claim the pancreatitis isn't related to his military service. I'll see what I can find out, though.

Thanks for your service and your willingness to help out! :patriot:

Here are pictures of the 3 firearms being raffled.

2011-10-25_16-36-16_439.jpg

2011-10-25_16-37-47_335.jpg

2011-10-24_18-12-59_758.jpg

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I organized this event and Mike was in the process of completing the VA packet. However he became sick and in a Medically induced coma before the paperwork was finished. That was over two months ago so the VA hasn't been able to help him at this moment, not to mention the VA does not move fast. He also has a legitimate lawsuit with his previous employer but isn't healthy enough to pursue that or have the money to approach that yet. We have received help from the DAV and this event was organized to bring many of us veterans back together for a reunion and to donate some money to a brother of ours. Not to mention it is a great opportunity to win a rifle.

The real kick in the b*lls is that the pancreas problems are probably from that bottled water that had crap floating in it. Hope he gets the VA paperwork done. If there is any help needed, I have a guy that works in the Federal Building with the VA. PM me if you need his number. All his office does is try to get Veteran claims through as quickly as possible.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    If you're not sure about buying a ticket online, you can always just show up at the event!

1:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m.

Calhoun Street Soups, Salads, And Spirits
    1915 South Calhoun
    Fort Wayne, IN

And I just found out that SSG Nelson will be available for video chat via Skype.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Bump! The more support we can get to help out this guy, the better!

This is a nice way to give back this Veterans Day. Toss a few bucks in for a raffle ticket. It's less than you spend on a big lunch at McDonald's anyway, plus you have an opportunity to win some sweet stuff while you're at it.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    This is today, RIGHT NOW!!

Come support a local veteran!

Address below.

If you're not sure about buying a ticket online, you can always just show up at the event!

1:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m.

Calhoun Street Soups, Salads, And Spirits
    1915 South Calhoun
    Fort Wayne, IN

And I just found out that SSG Nelson will be available for video chat via Skype.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Brother, i you ONLY knew !!

The V.A. has somme damned good people working in it, but it is run by money-motivated mertha-flockers who care about a PENNY more than the real, hurting disabled Vet. For instance, I have 90% disability from Viet Nam. Cataracts, 5 stents, a pace-maker, rotting feet, bad dreams, Agent Orange has killed me. Only the hate I have in PTSD is keeping me going. I get scheduled appointments in Indy, Marion, or Fort Wayne, only to find that the doctors are not there today to do the surgery. They say they informed me. But that is not a cancellation. Yet I can't claim mileage reimbursement because i did not meet w/ a doctor. I even called the morning of the appointment. When I do get reimbursed for travel, there is a mandatory "applied deductible" of $6, for NO REASON except that they can do it. It's dialed into the computer. There is no reg. or explanation. $6 is nearly 2-gallons of gas, or 3-4 White Castles. The V.A. is furking the disabled Vet simply because they CAN. He has no recourse. Where else can he go? So don't wonder why a disabled Vet could use a little help. They are your brothers.

Top Bottom