• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kimber24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    I have a question about flyin with a gun in your luggage. I have a conceal carry license in Indiana but I don't know if that applies to Florida. We are goin to Florida and I don't want to go there without my gun. It goes with me everywhere. Is there any way I can legally take my gun, ammo and holster onto the plan and bring them to Florida?

T/SF34/A

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Transportation Security Administration and check the website of the carrier you intend to fly as they may have a more strict policy.
    In short, yes, however you need to lock it up and check it in your luggage under the plane. Don't forget to declare it when you check in for your flight.

Hajisc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   1
    Oct 11, 2012
    Westville,In.
    You can take gun and holster but not ammo.
    You have to put your gun in your checked luggage not carry on in a locked case.
    You have declare at checking and show the weapon is unloaded and locked up. They issue a signed copy of approval to captain and one to file and one goes with case.
    I do it all the ti
    E on southwest and never had a problem.
    Go on the airlines website and it lists all directions.
    Good luck and have fun, I believe Florida has a reciprocal agreement with Indiana.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    You can take gun and holster but not ammo.
    Incorrect - you can take up to 11 pounds of ammunition. Cite your source that says otherwise, my information comes from tsa.gov.

You have to put your gun in your checked luggage not carry on in a locked case.
    Correct, and do not use a TSA lock regardless of what the TSA tells you. If anybody wants to inspect your firearm - make them ask you for the key/combination.

You have declare at checking and show the weapon is unloaded and locked up. They issue a signed copy of approval to captain and one to file and one goes with case.
    They've never actually 'checked' my firearm and have always taken my word for it but don't be surprised if the TSA double-checks.

I do it all the timE on southwest and never had a problem.
    I've done it enough times to have an idea of how it works, along with reading the TSA guidelines and the rules of the particular airline I'm flying.

Go on the airlines website and it lists all directions.
    Indeed.

Good luck and have fun, I believe Florida has a reciprocal agreement with Indiana.
    They do, but make sure concealed is really concealed and not 'concealed'.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Incorrect - you can take up to 11 pounds of ammunition. Cite your source that says otherwise, my information comes from tsa.gov.

Correct, and do not use a TSA lock regardless of what the TSA tells you. If anybody wants to inspect your firearm - make them ask you for the key/combination.

They've never actually 'checked' my firearm and have always taken my word for it but don't be surprised if the TSA double-checks.

I've done it enough times to have an idea of how it works, along with reading the TSA guidelines and the rules of the particular airline I'm flying.

Indeed.

They do, but make sure concealed is really concealed and not 'concealed'.

:+1: on all points.

I have flown to Florida with more than 1 firearm plus ammunition. Florida does honor the Indiana LTCH, but they are very particular about it being concealed down here.

Carefully read the TSA pages so you are sure you are in compliance. I even printed a copy and had it with me and another copy with the weapons in case TSA gave me trouble (they didn't give me trouble either direction).

I also typed up a description of exactly what I was transporting and kept 1 copy with me and another in the luggage.

And of course, familiarize yourself with the Florida statutes. This page from handgun law.us is a good reference.
    http://handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ensure that you read the TSA regs and your airlines rules on transport.

I use a Pelican case for my pistols (bright yellow) and have been very happy with it.

LEARN FROM ME and ensure that you check your range bag for loose ammo before you fly!

Dr Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    I'd also suggest that you tether your locked hard case to your checked baggage ( usually by the collapsable (sp?) handle ) on the inside and then locking the bag itself with a TSA lock. Also a good idea to keep ammo in original packaging.
    IANAL
    Check TSA rules etc.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I'd also suggest that you tether your locked hard case to your checked baggage ( usually by the collapsable (sp?) handle ) on the inside and then locking the bag itself with a TSA lock. Also a good idea to keep ammo in original packaging.
    IANAL
    Check TSA rules etc.

This all sounds good except the bold part. Never use a TSA provided lock. Make them ask you for a key.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    This all sounds good except the bold part. Never use a TSA provided lock. Make them ask you for a key.
    When I last flew, I locked (using a cable lock) a small lockbox into my softside suitcase, the lockbox had a combination and a key-backup. I used a TSA lock on the outside of the case, so they could check the rest of my stuff as per norm, but if they wanted to check the pistol, they had to call me to come open the case.

Alas, I failed to consider leaving enough time and a backup option. The TSA goon who demanded my key gave me the ultimatum of "You can give me the key or the combination, or you can have the bag back." I had come to the airport in one of shuttle vans and had no vehicle there in which to lock my pistol, and I didn't have time to demand a supervisor or I'd have missed my plane. I did make multiple reports to TSA after this happened, ensuring that the goon would at least hear about it, and since then, I've told the story a few times and ensured that I always had a backup plan... a vehicle to store it in if need be *AND* enough time to address the problem. I also carry copies of the relevant rules with me, both of the TSA and the airline itself.

Fool me once, shame on you. You ain't gonna get a chance to fool me twice.

Blessings,
    Bill

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    The only gun you can fly with is the A-10.

I've never had trouble flying multiple airlines to multiple states.

I know it was mentioned before, but it is worth repeating that you should print the relevant carry law of the state you will visit and rules of the airline and TSA.

Dr Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Checked Baggage

Checked baggage is luggage you check in at the ticket counter or curbside. It will not be accessible during your flight. When locking your checked bags, please use a TSA Accepted & Recognized Lock. TSA is mandated by Federal law to screen 100% of checked baggage. Bags may need to be opened during this process. If your baggage needs to be opened and inspected, TSA may have to break unrecognized locks to access your bags. TSA will not reimburse passengers for unrecognized locks broken as a result of the security screening process.

This is why I use a TSA lock on the luggage, but not on the hard case that the pistol is in, inside the suitcase.

I have even had the TSA lock taken off and not replaced but never had a problem with missing guns/ammo.

Just my experience.

Top Bottom