• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    here is the best one i can think of. I have a cz .22 bolt gun. "for the money" a savage .22 bolt rifle will do just as well but it isn't as pretty but the function is on par with the cz. that is a personal example.

Last edited:

sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    Probably a justification for buying a piece of junk that you didn't really want...

"I wanted the "xyz" brand widget, but I got the "abc" brand widget because it was the best one FOR THE MONEY"...sounds like you settled on a POS and aren't happy about it, IMHO.

Be happy with what you can afford and move on. If you can't afford what you really want, save longer. Don't try to justify it. No one cares. If I see a guy with a $200 scope shooting next to a guy with a $2000 scope, I really don't give a rip. I may ask them if I could look at it or how they like it. Not going to judge a guy for what he does or doesn't spend on something. I really don't care, nor do I care if he thinks he got the best scope he could for $200...

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Plinking ammo, It's not the best ammo, but, for most of my practice, it does the job and for the money, it can be a good deal. Vortex spotting scopes, there are better optics out there, but, for the money, they are hard to beat.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Generally, a way of indicating "diminishing returns" would kick in, and the person believes they got good value for the money.

I agree with others who have stated, personally, money comes into almost every decision I make, around goods/services, etc. I also know what I am willing to accept, what features are important to me, etc.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Kind of like when someone says the "best lb for lb fighter"... Does it mean they can beat a heavier weight fighter? Probably not, but kind of a best in class designation.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm Ok with 'For the money'. It's just a qualifier to a bit of information. For instance, a Dan Wesson Valor is considered to be a very good gun. But, if you saw one for sale for $3500, you would not say that it's a good gun for that much money. If you remove all qualifiers, then there's less basis for comparison. Value and quality are hard to put your finger on. Value is a personal decision and quality (if it even can be defined) is more of a result than criteria. Another example, I recently bought a new Fiat Spider. To me, the car is a fantastic value given how much I enjoy it. And, the quality is top notch considering how well it performs the job I bought it for. But, to the owner of a Ferrari, it's a cheap car that would frustrate the heck out of them because it only has 160hp vs. their Ferrari's 500+. Same car, two completely different valuations and perceptions of quality. You can say the same thing regarding Bersa Thunder 380s vs. Walther PPKs. Or RIA 1911s vs Dan Wesson 1911s. Or, Dan Wesson 1911s vs. Wilson Combat 1911s.

So, I'm good with 'for the money' for no other reason than it's ability to add context to a measure.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Best "for the money" means to me a product that has reached the price/performance point that to get even better performance requires a large ADDITIONAL expenditure to get even a very small incremental increase in performance.

For example, when I bought my performance touring motorcycle new in 2008 for $14,200 which had more than enough performance for me, to get the next step up in performance would've cost me over $24,000.
    I still have that bike, and it was the best "for the money" at the time. ;)

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    When most people use those phrases they are trying to sell something...sow's ear/silk purse comparisons. The one that I find often used now and pointless is the phrase 'going forward'. As in 'our policy going forward'...as opposed to what? Inventing time travel and changing the past? Of course you are going forward...stop wasting time and oxygen stating the obvious...it doesn't make you sound smart except to people who aren't.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    'Having said that...' or 'That having said...'. Please explain the lexicon for this.

Example: (when discussing persistence and personal drive toward attaining a goal) "I earned my Rifleman patch the hard way, and then requalified to earn my Winterseed patch the same way. Having said that, I've left the Appleseed program and no longer direct people toward it."

In other words, "Here is prefatory information I want you to know before I say what I want to say to address the subject at hand."

ETA: I had a question PMd to me about the example above. "...the hard way..." only refers to it not coming quickly and/or easily like it did for some. They say "leave your ego at the door", which wasn't a problem, but perhaps in retrospect, my attitude could have been more teachable. My apologies for any confusion I may have created with that spur-of-the-moment example.

Does that help?

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:
    Top Bottom