• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PLANEMECH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    All right different manufactures aside. The question is I have been looking at and can decide next purchase. Should it be an AR15 or an AK-74. What are the Pros and Cons. Those that have both which do you like best. Usually I am not so indescive. Please help. :dunno:

strut70

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    columbus
    I guess my personal preference would be a ar...there are so many things you can do to them to personalize them to your liking.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What type of shooting do you do most?
    How far away do you typically engage targets?
    What is your budget?
    What is your ammo budget?
    Do you like to tinker with your guns?
    What do your range buddies use?
    Do you want to take a carbine class with it?

Answers to those questions should help guide your choice.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    the AR platform hands downs.

better ergonomics, better safety, better cheek weld, better accuracy, etc

the only thing the AK has imho is cheaper ammo

PLANEMECH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Just for fun, plinking and for SHTF when the zombies attack (lol). Budget is about a $800 to $900. Want a 16.5 inch barrel in an AR if it wins. I do tinker with my guns (that's the aircraft mechanic in me.) Ammo both types can be found cheap so no issue here. Just wondering which do guys like best and most fun to shoot. Range I use is around 200 yards. Wish I could buy both but can't.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    An intensely personal decision that you are asking us to help you with. I gravitate toward the AR given the two choices you are contemplating.

However, my choice is the Mini14. All the reliability of the ak and the 5.56 Nato round.

I have lots of AR's. I use them for target shooting. They are great for that. Every month I buy more Ruger factory mags for my Mini14. That is my preference.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    It's hard to advise on your next purchase without knowing what you currently have, but assuming you don't have either, I don't see a dilemma. Get the AR. Do it!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Just for fun, plinking and for SHTF when the zombies attack (lol). Budget is about a $800 to $900. Want a 16.5 inch barrel in an AR if it wins. I do tinker with my guns (that's the aircraft mechanic in me.) Ammo both types can be found cheap so no issue here. Just wondering which do guys like best and most fun to shoot. Range I use is around 200 yards. Wish I could buy both but can't.

AR

hrdwarhax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2011
    Marion Co. Castleton
    well I am going to be devils advocate and say ak. russian engineering. like mosins. they can take a beating. ive seen people do pushups on ak's that would never be tried on an ar. again as said above. it is very personal, like boxers or breifs, or brady bunch and partraige family. you need to think of the tradeoffs.

ak-eats lbs of mud with no problems, pretty accurate, big bullet (depending on wat you chose. (cons)- can rattle a bit, not a tack driver a mile out. has some recoil.

Ar-can shoot a hair off a flea at 800 yrds, devistating round at the velocity.limitless attachments. fun to "slice the pie" . lightweight. teliscopic stock. nifty little carrying handle.little kick (compared to 7.62x32)(cons)- plastic..... yea, not as big a bullet but darn fine in its own right, dont get to look like a funny terrorist.

forgot to add. cabelas has ak ammo for 20rds for about $4. stock up now, buy ak later :)

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    AR all the way. I love me some AKM's, I really do, but the AR platform is so modernized with more and cheaper options than the AK to sample and sell. Build and tune it right and you are good to go, add whatever legos you want.

hoosier_sully

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Valparaiso
    My vote goes for the AK 74. As far as recoil goes between an AR in 223 or an AK in 5.45 they are about equal. In regards to accuracy it just needs to be MOT. (minute of torso) I'll save the precision stuff for the scoped bolt gun. In my opinion the only advantage that the AR has over the AK is better sights. Install a tech sight on the AK and they are even. Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    AR without a doubt is the superior platform.

However if you are on a tight budget, the AK-74 platform can preform adequately for your intended purpose.

bender574

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Middlebury
    I here that the Ak-47 is such a tuff gun. You can drag them thur the mud and run them over with your car. I would never drag any gun thru the mud or run one over with a car. So for me it will always be AR-15. I don't have one yet. When I go on vacation to North Dakota my buddy lets me barrown his AR-15 to bring with for good old fashion fun in Mekinock,ND. I hope you choose the American Rifle..

DeOppressoLiber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2011
    In position.
    The debate between AR's and AK's will rage on until we innovate something that is better than both.
    Since what you've mentioned that you desire in a rifle did not include swimming through mud holes or the need to go ten years without cleaning it, I will point toward the AR. You can always modify it to suit your needs.
    This may put some things into a lighter perspective for you:
    Humorous Comparison of an AK47, an AR15 and a Mosin

PLANEMECH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Well it seams there are favorites among us. If I get an AK it will be 5.45 due to more accurate and ballistically lethal close to 5.56. No don't plan on going diving into any mud pits but have heard AR's can be picky with ammo but the AR is a pretty rifle and of course when was a kid they were cool since the Army used them. This decision may come down to a coin toss. Thanks for all input will let you know how the coin falls.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    One could argue here all friggn day Ar Ak ar ak. Both rifles are significantly different, im more accurate with my sgl w/ or without optics more than most of the guys out at my range with thier AR, but my quick follow up shots are tighter with the center drivin AR, but im not going to clown either rifle because they are both effective, The Op must decide if he wants the sweetness of an apple or crave the taste for fruity grapes, each are equaly tempting but different in flavor.
    If you like both, what style of rifle first fits within your budget

Daniel defense or olympic
    Wasr or arsenal

Ammo also, how much ya plink, cost, and target distants are also factors to consider when choosing this rifle.

Options, are you lookin to add allot of accessories to enhance your rifle, an ar in my opinon is a little more diverse within this area, more accessories, etc an ak has bells and whistles, real mean ones but limited compaired to the ar platform.

choose carefully and certainly dont base your judgement on bias responses from an AK lover or a lover of the AR. Reasearch properly and find the rifle thats the best fit for your personal aesthetic.

Plop!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom