• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I don't know that I'd remotely be a 'fanboi', but I had absolute proof he made a difference in peoples' lives. I don't think about this much any longer, but as soon as I see his name it always jumps front and center in my brain.

Like many military stories, alcohol was involved. A group of us were drinking/drunk in the barracks and the "Mr. Rogers was a USMC sniper" story came up. This was well before everyone had a computer, let alone one in your pocket, but opinions were shared about if he was a killer, if he was tattoo'd etc. One guy, joking, said he heard Mr. Rogers was a fa..ot and I *think* he was going to say he was a child molester but he never finished the sentence because he very very suddenly had an extremely emotional fellow soldier in his face yelling at him. This rapidly transitioned to the 'jokester' having a knife to his neck and the words "take it back or I'll slit your fu... throat" from the distraught soldier. He readily agreed to take it back. We seperated them (carefully) and I don't know I've ever seen someone more upset over what we thought was such a non-issue.

So the distraught soldier was a hispanic guy from LA. He'd grown up in a crime ridden area with no positive reinforcement or love in his family household, but Mr. Rogers was there for him each day. A guy who cared about him, even if through a TV screen. Someone who gave stories about how to live better and comfort to a kid who didn't have much of that. He was shaking angry crying, and none of us had any idea of what to say as he just laid it all out in a heart felt broken way. He was absolutely sure that Mr. Rogers kept him from giving in to the neighborhood, and while he was obviously a bit rough he was a good soldier and a good friend. It was such a raw display of human emotion and want and finding comfort where you can that it still tightens my throat some 25+ years later.

I don't think many people get the opportunity to make that sort of impact.
    Say what you will. I have no doubt that he was more of a positive influence for many.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    First off you spelled fan boy wrong.. yes I know the difference but please don’t add to trashing of English.. but anyway grew up on Mr Rodgers also. He had his purpose it’s too bad some folks have drag down everything.. is this what our culture has turned too??
    Yes I already know the answer but my point is what are you doing to make it better..? Are you part of problem or part of the solution??

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I guess we're not talking about the woman in the brown jacket walking by in the window.;)

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I was too. I watched it every morning before school. I was heart broken when Mr Greenjeans pasted way. Sadly I was too old for Mr Rogers, but he was a good man. He helped a lot of kids grow up in to decent people. RIP Fred.

Sorry about the double tag, I can not figure out how to straighten that out.

Top Bottom