• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    To remain polite, I'll say my State Farm agent isn't exactly on the ball and I wouldn't mind changing. However, what predicates this decision is that I recently bought a fairly large (and at least for me, expensive) TV that I'm attempting to get a rider on to cover against accidental damage since it's a 120lb sheet of plate glass just waiting to get smashed and I'm paranoid. After spending 2 days trying to get this question answered by my agent, including them quoting coverage (how is an excellent question), they can't do it.

So... Can any other company do it? If I jump, it will be for renters, auto (5 vehicles), and an odd ball like above here and there.

Eons ago I had this sort of coverage on laptops that were about the same value as the TV and it was no big deal.

If you can do this, hit me in the PMs.

edit: Turns out they WILL cover it, but their communication just sucks... Still interested in talking to some other folks.

Last edited:

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Call a local independent agency. State Farm only offers SF insurance. An independent can shop around for a carrier that covers such things. Not sure what town you are in or I might be able to refer you to someone.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I switched state farm agents. So glad i did.

That's absolutely an option for me, but SF also just magically doubled pretty much all of my rates after the first year I was with them so I have no real reason to stay. I figured in all of INGO somebody wheels in insurance so I'd start here first.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It has been a long time since I've worked in insurance, but I'll share what I remember.

IF you want special coverage on an item you will need proof of value. So, if you're buying a $7k TV be sure to keep the receipt. Second, the coverage is usually to cover over their basic$X. So, let's say SF will pay normally $2.5k for a TV, in my example you would be buying $4.5k more in coverage.

So your agent should tell you that it costs, as an example, $2 / $100 / year in coverage. In my above example $4,500 / 100 = 45. Then that times $2 = $90 / year overage. It may be $1 / 100 or $5 / 100 or whatever. Each company is different.

You really want to itemize any jewelry or guns. Those are the FIRST thing a thief will go for. Guns are easily sold and jewelry is easy to carry out.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Doug

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    It has been a long time since I've worked in insurance, but I'll share what I remember.

IF you want special coverage on an item you will need proof of value. So, if you're buying a $7k TV be sure to keep the receipt. Second, the coverage is usually to cover over their basic$X. So, let's say SF will pay normally $2.5k for a TV, in my example you would be buying $4.5k more in coverage.

So your agent should tell you that it costs, as an example, $2 / $100 / year in coverage. In my above example $4,500 / 100 = 45. Then that times $2 = $90 / year overage. It may be $1 / 100 or $5 / 100 or whatever. Each company is different.

You really want to itemize any jewelry or guns. Those are the FIRST thing a thief will go for. Guns are easily sold and jewelry is easy to carry out.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Doug

I appreciate the insight!

I sent them the receipt and what they sent me a rider that covers it against everything my renters does plus accidental damage, anywhere in the world (moving it from this place to another place is half of my fear) for $105/yr on a $2600 TV. The chain of communication to get to that was frustrating, but we did eventually get there. ;)

No jewelry. Firearms are through Lockton (which this year appears to be underwritten by Lloyd's).

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yep, independent agent is the best route in my opinion. Sounds like you got your specific question figured out though with your current agent.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    That's absolutely an option for me, but SF also just magically doubled pretty much all of my rates after the first year I was with them so I have no real reason to stay. I figured in all of INGO somebody wheels in insurance so I'd start here first.

This is why I switched to Allstate, couldn't have been a better move. Saved significantly. I use Tim Doud out of Plymouth, that's the only one I can recommend

Top Bottom