• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    I'm going to be getting my CDL here in the next couple of months, and from there will be looking into job options as a professional driver. Any hints, tips, or advice for a trucking noob?

Useful endorsements?

robbran144

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    southside/greenwood
    dont do it....find a decent (sp) company get a year or so of over the road experience,then find you a good local company like roadway or old dominion,ccx,id get every endorsement you can pass....Ive only been driving a commercial vehicle for 13 years so im sure theres other people with more experience on here.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    Yeah, I'm enrolling at the local technical school for CDL classes. I don't really want to do over the road...but if thats the way to go, thats what I'll do. I was hoping to get a local job right out of school, but everyone is telling me that's pretty unlikely.

WILSON

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Top, left-hand corne
    If that's what you want to do, MyGlockRocks19, more power to you!

I'd serve the grunt time with Bulkmatic, Yellow, Roadway, or Schneider to get some miles in. With 100 or 200-k logged, maybe switch to UPS or parking lots for awhile, then start applying at Union Carbide / Praxair for "the good money" (I might be able to help with that part if I'm still around ;)).

JMHO

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    I doubt you'll be able to score a local job fresh out of school. You'll most likely have to run OTR for a few years before you can get in a local job. Of course, there is always a delivery job like Coke/Pepsi, delivering to gas stations/convenience stores, that sort of thing. I've heard that the Coke/Pepsi delivery work sucks, and I know that delivering to a convenience store is no fun either. Those kinds of jobs require a lot of labor, even in line haul you still have to load and unload your own trailer.

If you want to get into trucking as cheaply as possible, find an OTR company that will train you for free. Schneider, TMC, etc. The only catch is that you will sign an agreement that you will work for them for a year otherwise you will owe them for the training.

Truck Driving Message Board - ClassADrivers

edit: Honestly, there are some who just can't do it (be a driver) and then there are some who can do nothing but. I drove for a few years, have been from coast to coast and border to border, and left when my dad had health issues. I have a good job now, but I still think about being on the road.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    Pretty good advice here, brohedron.

Not much out there as far as local jobs for noobs.
    If you don't care about never being home, or living like a gypsy, go OTR.
    Probably have to go OTR for a year, then try local runs if you want to be home.

Get all endorsements you can.

You most likely ain't gonna get rich.

Good luck.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Hit it on the spot in several things:
    1. Go with a company that will pay for your training. I did it with Carter Express and it really paid off, literally. You just have to sign up with that company for 6 months, put up with some garbage due to being a newb, but after that, you are in.
    2. Don't expect to be getting local or short runs on a constant basis as a newb. I got EXTREMELY luckey when I had an only Indiana parts delivery situation open up after I did alot of OTR and it was only due to the driver getting cancer and I being in the right time right place, cashed in EVERY favor I had at the company and still barely got it. If you have a family right now, you may not see them for a week or so at a time.
    3. Even though you may get a company "sponsor" when in CDL school, the pay will still stink for about 2-3 months. You have to do the school (some companies offer a token wage while you are in school, a HUGE plus considering the no-pay situation that can arise if you tackle it yourself), on top of being paid VERY little when riding/driving with a trainer. Save up big time for potential bills and be prepared to pay ALOT of out of pocket.

All in all, even though companies are claiming they are hiring right now, it is almost battle-royale for runs right now. Several of my friends are still driving (I got out, did something more lucrative for me at the time) and are down to NOTHING per week. Entering in now, companies are less likely to give you circuit routes and you may spend time waiting for a run (almost being stranded is what they are telling me now). A really good friend claims he did a run to Nevada and had to wait for a week unpaid until they gave him something to get back. It isn't a pretty picture right now but when things improve, there are TONS of opportunities for drivers. Also, a company can lock you into a really ****-poor contract right now b/c they are in a buyer's market for help. When things improve, you would find yourself going with another company to get out of the bad pay that your signed up for during the recession.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I still have the Class a and endorsments from 15 years ago. I drove Haz Mat for a few years while going to college.

If the company pays for school, then they cannot afford to pay you as much when you start, they have to earn a little back, it is simple economics, they are not trying to screw you.

The local soda and beer runs may be a good bet early on, they have high turnover (i.e. lots of openings for a new driver) but you're going to earn your wages doing some heavy lifting.

Best of luck, keep at it, sounds like you're making good choices, and that will always pay dividends in the long run. There are a few here that still haven't learned that lesson.

Merry Christmas

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I don't really want to do over the road...but if thats the way to go, thats what I'll do.
    Ya as others have said, as a rookie, you aren't getting a local job. Those are for guys that are ready to come in off the road(like me). I'll go ahead and tell you, I've got half a million miles out there, and I hate every minute of it. The first few years were okay, but I'm absolutely burned out on it now. There isn't any money out there right now, my settlements (I own my truck) are $4,000-$6,000 a week less than they were 16 months ago and miles are dropping off now too. I can barely afford to make my payments and maintain the truck, taxes are just not getting paid this year......I don't mean to sound like doom and gloom, but trying to get into trucking right now is going to be VERY frustrating and not at all profitable. Let's look at some numbers. A rookie just out of school, if he can even find a job, is going to earn on the high side, .26 cents per mile (we'll round up to .30cents). The first roughly 5 weeks out, you'll be with a trainer and probably only make $350 per week. So, your first 5 weeks out= $1750. Then after that, if you are lucky enough to get 3000 miles a week (you won't), that's only $900 before taxes. Then you've got to subtract the cost of living out on the road, that get's very expensive too, eating at least one, but probably all of your meals in the truck stops, internet connection, DVDs, ...........

koenig clone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    fairmount
    Don't give up on a local job. I got out of school and drove over the road for werner for 5 weeks. The absolute worst 5 weeks of my life. There is a reason their turnover is so high. I came home and wrote down the name of every company i saw in a truck on the road. I called all and put in applications to all of them. I had 3 job offers within a week. I took a position with a very large dairy delivering milk. I am compensated for every hour i'm there and i still have time to coach all my sons teams. Don't give up, turn over every rock. you'll find it.

Top Bottom