• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sanguine Samurai

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Indiana
    I have noticed lately there are a number of people who are caliber specific. Rather, people who purchase a gun because they already have a gun in the same caliber, so both will use the same ammo. I personally do not think this is practical. I think it is logical to diversify firearm calibers in my current/future collection. In the event a major S. were to H.T.F.. I feel it will be more of a "take what you can get" type situation as far as ammo is concerned. I would like to here other's thoughts on the subject from both sides of the table please. Am I wrong and there is something I am missing? Or am I on the right track?

As of now I have both a .40 and 9mm pistol(s). In the future I hope to purchase a tactical carbine or two (probably .556/.223 and/or a 7.62) and a shotgun. Are there any other common calibers on which I should focus my attention?

Thanks ahead of time for the insight!

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    There are generally two schools of thought on this. One is as you stated, where in a SHTF scenario you have multiple guns in diverse calibers and could use whatever you find. The other side of the argument says that with only 2-3 or 3-4 different calibers, it makes it easier to stock up (hoard) since the money is only being spent for those two or three calibers. If you go with the second school of thought, it is probably a good idea to think about reloading and have some components (dies, primers, etc.) stocked away for those calibers as well.

As for the most common calibers, it certainly sounds like you are starting off right. The most common (popular) ones either are or have been calibers used by police or military weapons at one time. For pistol, it would be 9mm, .40S&W, 38SP, 45ACP. For rifle, it would be 5.56 (or alternately .233), .308, 30-06. Again, those are or have been military calibers.

Don't forget, a .22LR rifle or handgun can be extremely fun and help you to work on marksmanship fundementals, and the best part is you can be out shooting for hours and spend less than $20 for a bulk pack of .22LR (I can remember when I could have said for under $10).

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    I have noticed lately there are a number of people who are caliber specific. Rather, people who purchase a gun because they already have a gun in the same caliber, so both will use the same ammo. I personally do not think this is practical. I think it is logical to diversify firearm calibers in my current/future collection. In the event a major S. were to H.T.F.. I feel it will be more of a "take what you can get" type situation as far as ammo is concerned. I would like to here other's thoughts on the subject from both sides of the table please. Am I wrong and there is something I am missing? Or am I on the right track?

As of now I have both a .40 and 9mm pistol(s). In the future I hope to purchase a tactical carbine or two (probably .556/.223 and/or a 7.62) and a shotgun. Are there any other common calibers on which I should focus my attention?

Thanks ahead of time for the insight!

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Unless you have unlimited funds and unlimited time to practice. Do you really know how long it takes to become highly proficient with just one weapon?

I used to buy whatever the "flavor of the month" was on the the cover of the latest gun magazine, just so I could show off to all my shooting buddies. (don't tell me no one else has done it!)

What I came to realize is I had 30 or 40 different guns in 20 different calibers and I wasn't very good with any of them.

All those different guns and types of ammo, who wants to carry all that crap in a SHTF scenario?

What I have done is to consolidate. Sold most everything off and got down to one basic battlerifle, one type of handgun, and one type of shotgun that is right for me. By concentrating my efforts on mastering these first I have improved immensely.

You know what they say " Beware the man who has only one gun, because he knows how to use it"
    :twocents:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Sorry OP, I'm in the other camp as well. It is far more cost effective to have fewer, but good quality firearms/calibers. This isn't stamp collecting. Proficiency counts and you can't get there with a large quantity of firearms.

Just a thought. Your entire justification is for SHTF scenarios. I understand conceptually that you want to be able to find any ammo and be able to use it. That makes some sense if you are on the road. But how will you carry all of those firearms to use the random calibers you will find? If instead you are holed-up at home, why do you need numerous calibers?

If you have the money and interest, feel free to collect anything and everything. But don't downplay the logic of the consolidation/proficiency route.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    What I came to realize is I had 30 or 40 different guns in 20 different calibers and I wasn't very good with any of them. . .

What I have done is to consolidate. Sold most everything off and got down to one basic battlerifle, one type of handgun, and one type of shotgun that is right for me. By concentrating my efforts on mastering these first I have improved immensely.

You know what they say " Beware the man who has only one gun, because he knows how to use it"
    :twocents:

I think there is plenty of logic there, but it is also very limiting. Still I don't totally disagree with this type of thought. In fact I practice a modified version of it.

• I still buy pretty much any gun that trips my trigger, but my trigger finger is pretty selective. I don't own a 40S&W, or 38special, 44mag, etc. My pistols come in 3 calibers 380, 9mm and 45acp. I do own a few collectables in other calibers, but those are rare collector guns that don't get shot.
    • 3 basic calibers allow for 3 different size pistols for carry, depending on attire.
    • 2 of the calibers are suitable for defense & target shooting, 2 are suitable for competition should I desire that. None are particularly suited for hunting.
    • My pistols generally operate very much the same way. If they have a safety is clicks down with my thumb, like a 1911. If they don't they operate like a Glock. I sold off the pistols with 'up & away' or other safeties so now I grab a handgun, sweep down the safety and fire, if there is no safety then the thumb sweep is still a natural motion and take no extra time.
    • With rifles I have a different take, I'll allow for different calibers for different purposes and see plenty of logic in that. But I also have nearly identical rifles that come in multiple calibers. So in the AR platform I've got pistol calibers duplicated from above, plus 22 for light plinking, 223/5.56 for full power plinking, and then in serious calibers 6.5 Grendel, 7.62x38 and 458 Socom. All 3 of those are viable for hunting various large game in many states.
    • I have other rifles in other calibers suitable for hunting & sport shooting, I have other rifles in some of the above calibers for similar reasons. Sometimes you just need something bigger, or more powerful.
    • Shotguns are all 12 gauge except for 1 in 20 which is my home defense gun. Some for upland game, some for turkey, etc. Gun configuration varies, but operation of the weapons are generally similar.

Oh, and if SHTF and Zombies are roaming the lands, then I'll cook up some Tollhouse cookies, brew up some black coffee, light a cigar and make my stand at home.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Everyone should have a .45!

I try to keep my primary weapon calibers down, though I still have an assortment. But there's nothing wrong with having diversity, and there's nothing wrong with trying to consolidate calibers either. It's whatever makes you feel good about what you're doing.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Doesn't have to be a SHTF scenario to make owning multiple calibers practical. There are rumors from the ammo companies that there may be another round of ammo shortages heading our way. If you have carry guns in multiple calibers, it makes it much easier to find ammo for at least one of your guns. If 9mm is hard to come by, you may be able to find .38, .45 or .40. If .45 is hard to come by, perhaps you can find one of the others.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Doesn't have to be a SHTF scenario to make owning multiple calibers practical. There are rumors from the ammo companies that there may be another round of ammo shortages heading our way. If you have carry guns in multiple calibers, it makes it much easier to find ammo for at least one of your guns. If 9mm is hard to come by, you may be able to find .38, .45 or .40. If .45 is hard to come by, perhaps you can find one of the others.

That same logic played a big part in my decision also... I say that even shooting primarily 95 % reloads too.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with either way of thinking. Actually, I found it rather easy to include ideas from both ways and also did this with minimal investing.

I decided I was going to pick (1) caliber and get good with it. What I chose was .40. Then being what I chose was only a $500.00 weapon, I easily justified in adding a couple of $100.00 barrels in different calibers. Now, my intent was only working with the main caliber and just having the other (2) for SHTF in case of ammo availibility.

Well, it didn't quite work out as I had planned. I never did get where I liked the .40. Actually, I feel it has worked out even better. Now, the caliber I work mostly with is the .357 sig and I keep the 9mm and .40 bbls for SHTF. This move was made about 5 years ago, and since I have added a G35 to the G22 and also added the ability to shoot 9mm and .40.
    What this gives me is (3) calibers, but only (2) bullets to stock and both are common and available in bulk.

I do understand the other side. Just wanted to point out though that you don't neccesarily have to spend $500.00 + to add a caliber. And even if your not a Glock fan, there are other great options out there that you can also do this with and at a minimal cost.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    This is an interesting thread. There is some logic for both schools of thought. An in-between position might be pick a handgun caliber and base your stores on that. Then have alternative calibers for something popular. For example, say you stock a lot of .40S&W, you could have a single 9mm and .45 for just-in-case situations. Throw in some spare magazines and parts and you have some flexibility in your plans.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i agree with both sides but at the same time i keep finding guns i love in different calibers lol. i like the diversity that multiple calibers offers but it does suck stocking ammo for them all. either way to each his own as thats the great thing about this site you will find people of all walks of life with different experiences and reasoning behind why they do what they do. either way i just encourage people to buy and shoot guns as often as possible cause you never know when some dumb politicians will pass a extremely ridiculous law like they just did in chicago and california

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Just got done simplifying myself. Sold off some extra guns. All pistols are now .40 S&W or .22. Makes stocking ammo a lot easier. I do have a couple carbines in different calibers. Not a lot of choice here since you can't hunt deer with .223. All shotguns are now 12 guage.

I do regret selling the .38 snubby. Thinking I might break my new rule and pick up another.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    i like the diversity that multiple calibers offers but it does suck stocking ammo for them all.

I understand well what you are saying. I feel when I pay good money for a gun, that I need to stockpile ammo and/or reloading supplies. I have learned the only way I can over come this need is instead of adding another gun in a different caliber, simply adding a modest priced barrel for an existing gun. I just don't feel quite the same need to have a few cases of ammo on hand if it's only a $100.00 9mm conversion barrel.

To add to my previous post, I do understand why non-reloaders with some of the .40's out there would have absolutely no interest in adding a .357 barrel , but I am a bit shocked not to see more .40 fans with a 9mm barrel on hand for just in case if ammo were to be hard to get.

Boiler74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Man, I just don't want to chase another caliber, especially if we see another ammo shortage come up. That is what has kept me away from an AK so far. I just don't want to have to stock up on another caliber. I understand the OP's point, diversity. but I'm not going to carry a 8mm German K98 on the off chance I run across that caliber!! HA!

Sanguine Samurai

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Indiana
    I was leaning toward more common calibers. For example, I doubt I would be able to find enough .50AE in a SHTF scenario to justify the purchase of a desert eagle (although desert eagles are cool in their own right). You can't find something like that at say Wal-mart, and I doubt any of my niehbors have any to trade or sell. My local po-dunk gun/bait shop would probably have to order something like that.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I was leaning toward more common calibers. For example, I doubt I would be able to find enough .50AE in a SHTF scenario to justify the purchase of a desert eagle (although desert eagles are cool in their own right). You can't find something like that at say Wal-mart, and I doubt any of my niehbors have any to trade or sell. My local po-dunk gun/bait shop would probably have to order something like that.

if people wanna hump or can afford a couple thousand rounds of .50, then by all means carry it, lol.

it all comes down to, what are you planning for?? end of the world? or a temporrary SHTF event like a major flood? i have been working hard to streamline the collection. to me i have plenty of guns and always will. food and water are more important to me than carrying 6 guns or more.

Whatever is in your bug out kit (guns, knives, food, ammo, silver) in reality, ONLY the amount you can physicaly carry on foot, can be relied on, unless you have hidden caches staged!! (i have mentioned the caches before, and HIGHLY recomend people do this. If i have to run out of my house in 10 seconds, i will have a pistol and a bag. but even if i had nothing, within 10 minutes I would be fully armed and supplied and not even on my own property.) remember, you can store "your" guns at relatives houses too!! arming my entire family is a priority to me, thats already been addressed

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I can see the logic on both sides of this argument but its all a little irrelevant if the decision is already made for you due to the lack of $$$. I limit my calibers simply because I cannot afford not to.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I like way to many different firearms in way to may different calibers to restrict my caliber choices. I have a few main calibers that I keep "in stock" in quantity, ie 9mm, 5.56, 7.62x39, and 5.45x39, then after that I keep a much more limited amount of other calibers, like .30-06, 7.5 swiss, .30 carbine, .22 mag, etc.

I refuse to limit my choices due to caliber. I would miss out on way to much.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    If commonality of arms and ammo are an issue, I'll just pick up their guns to when I take their ammo.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom