• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Just got my first pair today from Midway. These are unfilled and I read that you should NOT fill them with sand as they will bust. So what should I use to fill these with? Pea gravel? Bean bag beans? Popcorn Foam?

Thats just what I have on hand. Ok, I don't have pea gravel, but I know where to get it.

So what would be best to fill these with? Want to get it done before Saturday so I can get my .30-30 to the range...

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I'd look at something along the lines of dried navy beans. It held up fine, but I believe we were shooting mostly rimfire with it. The only downside to rice is it sucks up moisture in the air, and it would be pretty gross to end up with mildewy rive in a rest bag.

ETA: Dried peas, or feeder corn would probably work too. The point is, it's cheap, and easy to replace.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    The beans might work good. Although I do have some old bean bags the kids never use anymore. Maybe I could steal some outta the bags...

Airsoft sounds good too. I'd probably need about 15K of them but they aren't THAT expensive. If the bean bag idea doesn't work due to age, I might go that route. After pointing out the moisture sucking rice, I would think other organics would do the same overtime....

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Well I filled them pretty full with bean bag foam. I'm sure after a few shots they'll start desinegrating but I have 3 bean bags the kids don't use so it's not like there's a shortage! LOL

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I did some of these 4 or 5 years ago and still use them.I used feed corn(whole corn)and they work great! You can buy a 20lb bag very cheaply at tractor supply and it is enough to fill 6 or more(I had left over).

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    I have always used rice in any bag that I've used. It packs nicely, and can be manipulated with a little force. Rice is very good especially in a bag that your stock is resting on, you can control you vertical steadiness very easy.

As for the bags that I use, they are just socks. Yes, I'm a hillbilly.

I figured moisture would be a problem, but it never has been. Just don't leave your bags out in the open or mice will carry it away...

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Ok, Bean bag foam.... BAD IDEA. May try plastic BB's or something like pea gravel, but then again I might just buy the filler from Caldwell. Dam thing sunk after two shots! :xmad:

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    I just take a sock, It's gonna have to be a good one, no holes! I fill one sock up with 1LB rice, and knot the end. You will need to leave a little bit of room in it, but tie it off so that it sits in a sort of a ball.

When using it compacts nicely, just squeeze to raise, or release to let it settle. I've had good success with it. Heck I learned it at a shooting school taught by two former military marksmen. It got me to 1000yds. :dunno:

Either way, the filler is going to have to be something that will pack easily. This helps you hold your vertical shot. Airsoft pellets do not work well, tried that. Fishtank rocks probably would work.

Last edited:

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    Thank you, wtf. Much more simple than I pictured, though, I tend to make things more complicated than they need to be! I was picturing a couple of socks taped/sewn together or something along those lines.

Pretty niffty idea, then you can use just about anything laying around as a rest and use the sock for stability. This is why I like this site so much! :yesway:

Top Bottom