Buying Guns Online - What should I do differently?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I call my lgs and ask always before ordering to make sure it's okay and like above they will tell me if they have one before ordering online which is nice. They give me the okay and then I place my order to be shipped to them.

I haven't bought a firearm online since I built my Aero Precision AR-15 5.56x45 pistol. They usually don't carry Aero Precision so I usually order them in the lowers.
    This and Mongo’s comment about patronizing the establishment. Called Jerry’s in Rensselaer before I made a purchase about a year ago on a used gun just to give him a heads up and ensure everything was correct and if he had any specific needs. After I got the delivery notice, gave another call and picked up the firearm. I have bought a few items from Jerry’s.

Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    My only experience with ZX posted earlier this year on what did you buy thread: The other vendor was also in Indiana.
    Ordered a 10 round and 12 round magazine for the LCP Max. Tried to go with ZX Guns as they are a sponsor, but the order kept deferring to fill in an address for a dealer. So I figured I would phone in the order and got an answering machine. Said F it and ended up looking a few minutes online and found similar pricing from another vendor. ZX did have good pricing but what a hassle trying to order.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I can't honestly say I've ever been close to happy with so called customer service from ZX. Your story does not surprise me at all. I do shop there from time to time to support a local shop.
    Best of luck, I hope it works out for you.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Trans
    My go to as well, and I live a good ways from them. I do transfers there because they seem to really value transfer business. They post their ffl online so you can just send a link to the online seller if needed.
    fer business puts people in the store. It helps in overall sales from the impulse buys and other needs we fill when we get into the male man cave playground.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Trans

fer business puts people in the store. It helps in overall sales from the impulse buys and other needs we fill when we get into the male man cave playground.
    Agreed. Plus for a small shop it should be a pretty easy revenue source that doesn’t have as much overhead as inventory.

maceace

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    NWI
    My personal experience, the bigger the shop the more hoops and bs you have to jump through. I stopped shipping guns to my local ffls as there is always some wise comments made by them....

I now use a home based ffl who is great to deal with, and doesn't use the ffl business as a first line of income. He treats me like family and I never have to deal with the headaches of store based ffl's. I have transferred at least 50 guns with him without any problems whatsoever.

I understand that local stores have to pay for the roof over their head, but if you are going to give me **** about me buying something online and transferring it through YOU, while I'm paying YOU a transfer fee, I will take my business elsewhere.

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    In Fort Wayne, use Earth Adventures Unlimited. They are a camping gear/kayak shop but do FFL transfers. Locally owned, friendly and courteous and never very busy. I've used them 3 times now and have been 100% satisfied. Hours can be a little wonky so be sure to call in advance.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Just in General, todays gun businesses seem too busy or care about your package. They have enough business and/or have hired poorly raised lazy gun groupies who could give a rats butt about doing a good job. Little work ethics. No standards. Welcome to the twenties.

Gunowners are always at the mercy of FFL holders. They have a captive audience. You HAVE to do business with one. It’s the law. How nice is that. While it should not take work on the customers part, find a dealer that will work with you on a local basis. Pay a little more if you have too. There are many good dealers out there.

My dealer keeps the package complete with shipping container and can be trusted to not steal accessories, Change grips or internal parts etc. I remember him at Christmas as well.

Strong Relationships are the answer to most problems today. Unfortunately, it’s hard to teach personality. And someone once said “you can tell a lot about someone in how he treats someone he feels he doesn’t needs.”

I see it all the time in a restaurant where the customer is doing the goose neck dance trying to find someone to bring him ketchup. Perhaps he should have gotten the servers name and showed a little respect. After all, I can call Betty and turn her head across the busy noisy room to help me. Or I can just yell hey you, miss, sir or cause me and look stupid.

See you on the range

Trapper

Last edited:

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    My FFL, Downham & Sons Shooters supply in Logansport are awesome with receiving my GB purchases. They always call me the day my gun arrives. The NICS check is smooth. They charge $35.00 to receive the gun for me and do the paperwork, but I usually give them $40.00 to show my appreciation. Like has been mentioned on here. I try to buy ammo, gun socks or whatever when I need it from them. We are on a first name basis when I walk in. Kinda like on the old sitcom "Cheers". Sometimes I just go in and sit on the "liars bench" and just chew the fat. Not purchase anything just sit and talk. That in itself builds a owner customer relationship. They are a small Mom & Pop LGS that has been in business since 1969. One does not last that long by messing up or forgetting to call customers. So in closing like has been said...find a new FFL. Just my two cents.

streetsamurai7

Dungeon Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    In Fort Wayne, use Earth Adventures Unlimited. They are a camping gear/kayak shop but do FFL transfers. Locally owned, friendly and courteous and never very busy. I've used them 3 times now and have been 100% satisfied. Hours can be a little wonky so be sure to call in advance.
    I didn't know they did transfers! I'll definitely check them out. They are really close to me too, which is a plus.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We did a lot of transfers when I worked at the range, and always tried to call the customer when a gun arrived, but sometimes due to being extremely busy, we wouldn’t be able to call until the next day. And it did occasionally happen that we would receive a firearm with no customer contact info. Seemed to happen a lot more during the height of the covid frenzy.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I must be blessed ?

C&J firearms is a Husband and wife business they really are a electric supply store. Firearms are a side business.
    They call me as soon as the firearm arrives and Norm always checks em out for me he loves DW 1911’s.

Ace’s guns in Lewisport, KY is a great store they also call as soon as it comes in but can only use them for long guns. They will do their best to match a online price if they can.

Dave’s in Holland, IN is a great store with a outdoor range. They are a Blue Label and Sig LE dealer.
    I have witnessed them help new shooters pick out a firearm. They are patient and have rentals for new people to try out.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    As a FTW resident, ZX is the (one of) the last places I would spend a dime, and certainly not the place to do a transfer. We the general customer are not good enough for them.
    Find a more friendly shop, talk to them before hand ,and you will find much better service.

Top Bottom