• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    That's 2 miles from the Naples Airport. WINK news says both engines went out. Two dead.
    That's NB in the SB lanes, moving away from the airport.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Confusing "facts" as always. Apparently 3 people on the plane survived. 2 others dead, but they don't know if they were on the plane or in the car they hit.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Many years ago I worked at Naples Hospital and drove on 75 - Alligator Alley a lot. Sad situation and my sympathies to all involved.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    This the plane?!
    How did he get pointed N in the SB lane? Maybe a 180 on impact?

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    This the plane?!
    Based on the ending of the second twitter video above, it sure looked like the wall was hit and the plane spun around. There was a massive scorch mark and a missing portion north of the plane's final resting place.

Hard to tell much from this tracking data without knowing the approach pattern for the runway they were attempting to use.
    Eh, it looked like a circling approach to RW23 which seems appropriate for the winds this afternoon (220 12-16).
    I'll be interested to hear if this was a fuel management problem, or if the throttles were pulled past idle to shut-off.

Whatever the cause, losing all your thrust on short final is unlikely to end well.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It'll be interesting to see what the NTSB report says. Most aircraft accidents have pilot error as the main or contributing factor (88%).

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It will be interesting to see what the FAA says. That seems like a lot of fire for no fuel on board.
    They know by now how many pounds of fuel were put onboard at the departure airport. If any.. it's an easy calculation.

More than once I have added fuel to a departing aircraft, just in case...

There have been many days that ATC shortages have caused delays into the Florida corridor. Usually the aircraft are held on the ground but crews are known to try to circumvent clearance delays.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    This the plane?!
    I might have gone for the oncoming lane if I had to make that landing. 75 around Naples is packed at 3pm. Maybe there's a better chance of people seeing you and getting out of the way instead of overtaking people from behind at landing speed.

Personally I think I'd rather take my chances with the nearest piece of swampland. Or golf course, god knows like 80% of the land area around Naples is golf courses. But engines quitting at low altitude on approach is not an option rich situation.

Top Bottom