• adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    What Bushmaster?

I had a Mini-14, a 581 series. Reliable and fairly accurate for what I consider more truck gun then target gun.

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Most will probably suggest Bushmaster

I am assuming we are talking AR15? I like the Mini, and supposedly the newer models have improved accuracy compared to the older versions. But I suspect that a good AR will still be better in terms of pure accuracy. The Mini has a well-deserved reputation for reliability and ruggedness, but mags are crazy expensive (unless you take your chances with aftermarket mags). Unless you are simply a traditionalist and like the 'throwback' style of the Mini, and AR is probably a better choice.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    All depends on what you want the rifle for. Ive owned both. I still own an AR15...rounding up parts for my 2nd one.

The Mini 14 I never had a problem with whatsoever. Very heavy rifle. They do make great ranch duty rifles.

Why Bushmaster and not Brand X?

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Heard that the new Bushmaster is not as good after selling to another company (still using Bushmaster name) and that they started again with Windham Weaponry. Since I already have the AR though, I would go for the Mini 14, just to get more into the collection

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Stay away from Bushmaster. They are not the same company they once where. I owned a mini-14 years ago, and was not very pleased with it. Personally, I think the AR is a more adaptable plaform.

Last edited:

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    I have seen a few new bushmasters on the shelves at the LGS and they look fine to me. When you ask yourself "would I rather have an AR15 or a Mini 14?" the answer is almost 100% the AR15.

Of course there may be a few exceptions. One being for any Vulcan/Hesse/whatever the name is now, made weapon.

Why the AR over the Mini 14? Easy. ARs are endlessly customizable. You want a long range target gun? Great! Build the upper into a heavy barreled flat top with a free floated barrel and a nice scope. You want a short range CQB style rifle? Great! Build a 10.5 inch SBR upper, slap an EOtech on it and put it on the long range guns lower. You want a mid range "do it all" type rifle? Great! Build a 14.5inch + pinned muzzle device, lightweight barreled flat top and throw an ACOG on top...Put all that on the original lower and you have 3 setups on the same lower. See what im getting at here?

With the mini, you are stuck with what it is. Even at that, I think a comparable AR will do most everything better than the mini 14.

I own several AR's and I do also own a Mini 14. The mini stays in the safe to "add to the collection" and the AR's do things like ride in my trunk as my duty weapon and go to the range for serious training.

Hope this helps.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Like people said it all depends on what you are looking for. The Mini's operating system(self cleaning piston) is superior to the AR's(direct impingement). There is no debating that. As far as being heavy, I disagree with that. I have a newer one and it is not heavy at all(6.75 lbs). My KISS AR weighs in roughly the same. The accuracy out of the newer ones are WAY better than the older ones. It will easily shoot 2" groups or better with just plain iron sights. It is a nice little handy brush rifle. The only knock on it are the mags. Stick with Ruger factory mags or you will be sorry. They are very pricey. Hands down go to the AR for modularity. I have 5 ARs of various setups, but still enjoy the Mini. Good luck in your choice.

Sgt.Striker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    let me start by saying that ive never owned or fired a mini, i do have a bushmaster A2 and ive never been disappointed with it. but whenever im at t he gunshop i always take a little bit of time to look at the mini 14 and wish i had one. i like the woodgrain model just for the look of it. to be honest id rather have a springfield m1 but its not really in my price range so i like the mini for its similar style(granted we are talkin different calibers). my dad always has fond stories to tell about his m-14 from vietnam so maybe that has something to do with my affinity for this style of weapon. id say keep the mini and get a bushmaster as well unless you were gonna sell it and use the money for the other rifle. and if i wasnt planning on making a purchase at the gun show tmorow id tell ya that ill buy your mini if you were lettin it go. just my :twocents:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The AR is the sedan every teenager wants to put a spoiler on.

I like the looks of the Mini 14 way more, esp when the old version gets an M1A flash hider.

But they tend to shoot like crap.

AR the best bet for having something usable.

Too bad these cost so much now.......

800px-H%26K_SL6.jpg

v1g1lant3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    griffith nwi
    i have a mini with a 1" kreiger barrel i have a lot of money into this gun but when i got about 10 years ago i lliked it as much as i do now only difference is now i can drive pins at 100yds then it wasnt so accurate

its easier to clean a lil heavier and when i go to the range theres always an a few bushmasters or other ars and not too many minis
    because i own a mini i dont see a need to buy an ar but im sure i would be just as pleased with one of those

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    I have 2 ARs and I really like them. My first 5.56 was a Mini 14 purchased in 1994 on the eve of the assault weapons/ hi-cap magazine ban. I wanted an AR at that time, but $500 ARs were selling for $1000+, so I settled for a Mini 14 instead. I really appreciated my Mini the most after I installed a Hogue stock on the gun a few years ago. Just makes the gun feel entirely different. The factory Mini 14 is NOT as accurate as the ARs, but the accuracy of MY Mini improved after I installed a new Slide-Recoil Spring in the gun. The Mini 14 always runs reliably, even tho my magazines are generic 20-30-40 rounders. And the Mini does not have gas rings, gas tube and all those little parts and springs that the AR has. If forced to do so, I would sell the ARs and keep the Mini 14.

CapMarine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Philadelphia, PA
    Im not a fan of ruger at all because of how they treat civilians when it comes to the mini 14 but id go with a bushy everytime over the 14 its just a much better rifle

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    The AR is the sedan every teenager wants to put a spoiler on.

I like the looks of the Mini 14 way more, esp when the old version gets an M1A flash hider.

But they tend to shoot like crap.

AR the best bet for having something usable.

Too bad these cost so much now.......

800px-H%26K_SL6.jpg

Excuse my ignorance, but what is that magnificent firearm?

Top Bottom