Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    For 2nd time in two weeks, bullet prompts lockdown of New Prairie HS

Bullet found in locker room of LaPorte Co. high school

New Prairie High School no longer on lockdown

There was another incident last fall @ Laporte High school with a 9mm cartridge found in the parking lot. But I don't have a link for that.

The police are asking for help identifying the owner of the most recent bullet found @ New Prairie, excerpt from their facebook page below:

The La Porte County Sheriff’s Office would like to appeal to the public for their assistance in the most recent case of a bullet being found in a La Porte County school. As stated in an earlier release, a bullet was found in a bathroom of the New Prairie High School. The Sheriff’s Office believes that the bullet, a 9mm, manufactured by Hornady, has the unique characteristic of being a “Critical Duty” round. Sheriff’s Officers believe that this unique style round, which has a red polymer-like tip, may be recognized by a parent which could be the break needed in identifying the person responsible for today’s incident.
    La Porte County Sheriff John Boyd is also encouraging parents to talk with their children and be accountable for any ammunition that is kept in the home. “We are asking parents to be pro-active and check their inventory of ammunition, particularly if they have this brand and style of bullet.” Anyone with information is asked to contact the Sheriff’s Office at 219.326.7700 extension 2404 or call Crime Stoppers at 800.342.STOP ( 7867 ) You can remain anonymous and all information will remain confidential. Crime Stoppers does offer cash rewards for information.

In today's society the school can't win with this one.. If they stop reacting to found bullets and there is an "incident" everyone in administration gets their ass handed to them. If they respond to every instance, kids have a new great way to get out of class, delay a test, or just cause some general mayhem. What's the solution? Some people are saying metal detectors, more cameras.. Ugh, I can't stand the thought of my kids going to a maximum security high school... Time to look at home schooling more seriously I guess :dunno:

I doubt anything is going to come from trying to find the owner of these cartridges, if the parent finds out it was their ammo and gets their kid to admit it, they'd be downright ignorant to turn them into the state and let me them set an example of their child.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Metal detectors? How sensitive would you have to set them to catch a bullet, and how would it differentiate between that and, say, a house key? My P12-45 with an alloy frame sets off the alarms at some stores, but my son's plastic fantastic P227 doesn't. Isn't a live round kinda not too dangerous without a ******* gun to fire it? Zero tolerance = zero intelligence. Why does this even get reported as news?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Metal detectors? How sensitive would you have to set them to catch a bullet, and how would it differentiate between that and, say, a house key? My P12-45 with an alloy frame sets off the alarms at some stores, but my son's plastic fantastic P227 doesn't. Isn't a live round kinda not too dangerous without a ******* gun to fire it? Zero tolerance = zero intelligence. Why does this even get reported as news?

What stores are you going to that have metal detectors?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    The local gun groups on facebook are buzzing about this, encouraging everyone to SHARE IT!! MUST FIND THE PERPETRATORS!

No respectable gun owner should be trying to get others amped up about an un-expended cartridge rolling around ont he floor. Shameful.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Parents with Nordic ancestry who named their son "Gunnar" are declared unfit parents and sentenced to 8 years in jail.
    Unfortunate child will be held in solitary confinement until it is determined he is no danger to himself or others.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Some of those RFID detectors by the doors seem to have metal detectors as well. Every CVS or Walgreens I go to, and Northside Harley go "ding" when I enter or leave. Yeah, I slipped a Fatboy in my pocket and I'm shoplifting it. They've all been cool with me, but there isn't anything else I'm carrying that could be at fault. The blades never did that, nor the keyring big enough to stun an ox. Has to be the .45.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    Some of those RFID detectors by the doors seem to have metal detectors as well. Every CVS or Walgreens I go to, and Northside Harley go "ding" when I enter or leave. Yeah, I slipped a Fatboy in my pocket and I'm shoplifting it. They've all been cool with me, but there isn't anything else I'm carrying that could be at fault. The blades never did that, nor the keyring big enough to stun an ox. Has to be the .45.
    The bell at Northside Harley, I believe is nothing more than a warning that the door has been opened. It has done that as long as I've been going there. But I also have knee, and hip replacements. But that alarm was working long before I had my surgery.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    Some kid could have also gone shooting with his parents, or on the family farm, and had an extra round in his pocket by mistake. Maybe he ditched it in the parking lot after finding it, just to keep from someone inside the school from ratting him out, and getting expelled or worse. It could be something as simple as that!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The bell at Northside Harley, I believe is nothing more than a warning that the door has been opened. It has done that as long as I've been going there. But I also have knee, and hip replacements. But that alarm was working long before I had my surgery.

It's not the bell on the door, it's the ding when I walk between the alarm detectors. I get it in and out. Take a real 1911 there, you'll see what I mean. Same thing I get at CVS and Walgreen, but not at Meijer, Walmart, Kroger or most other places. I'm an EE; I know how this stuff works.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    It's not the bell on the door, it's the ding when I walk between the alarm detectors. I get it in and out. Take a real 1911 there, you'll see what I mean. Same thing I get at CVS and Walgreen, but not at Meijer, Walmart, Kroger or most other places. I'm an EE; I know how this stuff works.

So what do they say to you when the "ding" goes off? Do they shake you down to see if you're carrying, or if you picked up some chrome and put it in your pocket?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    A bullet without a gun is about as dangerous as a sheath without a knife.

Typically yes, but there are those times...

I went to a high school in California in the early '70's.
    We had a shop class, much like most other schools at the time.
    Our shop class had a small smelting furnace in it for smelting lead and aluminum.
    Well, some dipstick thought it would be funny to toss a 50 count box of .22Lr into the furnace while it was running one day.
    No-one was hurt, but there was damage done, and the fact that no-one was hurt was purely coincidence.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If there's one thing kids love it is to watch teachers and administrators go spastic over something stupid like this. For example, the fun one can have with one high strung study hall teacher, a bunch of mischevious high school students, and a bunch of snap-n-pops...

(Kids, don't try that at home.)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

??? P227 is steel slide on alloy frame.

Top Bottom