Bullet chambered when carrying legality?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    There are folks who believe it is dangerous to carry a 1911 pistol with one in the chamber and the hammer cocked, safety on, despite the fact that the gun was specifically designed to be carried that way.
    I was pulled over one night in Clayton several years ago for speeding. When they determined I was carrying, they had me place my guns on the floor of the car and step out. After a second car arrived, a younger officer peeked in the window and noticed that the hammer was back on my 1911. He came over to me and asked me if I thought I was in compliance with Indiana state law in carrying like that with the obvious implication that he didn't think it was legal.

fwpd1763

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Probably put out by the Obama administration trying to mentally prepare you for their future "draw down" policies................one step or bullet at a time..........

PM66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Crumstown, IN
    I have heard something along the lines of this: it is illegal to have a bullet in the chamber when carrying a handgun in Indiana.

Is this true? Seems a bit pointless to carry if you have to chamber a bullet before you're able to defend yourself.

Only HG I carry on an empty is my Old Model Blackhawk, while hunting. The series of clicks while cocking it is an incredibly effective "deer stopper". Better than a grunt! Other than that, everything I carry has one ready to go. No law against that.

Ford Truck

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Franklin Twp., DeKalb County, Ind.
    I have heard something along the lines of this: it is illegal to have a bullet in the chamber when carrying a handgun in Indiana.

Is this true? Seems a bit pointless to carry if you have to chamber a bullet before you're able to defend yourself.

I wear a double-action revolver, sometimes 2 double-action revolvers. I either have 6 ctgs. chambered or 12 ctgs. chambered.

Top Bottom