Bullet chambered when carrying legality?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I have heard something along the lines of this: it is illegal to have a bullet in the chamber when carrying a handgun in Indiana.

Is this true? Seems a bit pointless to carry if you have to chamber a bullet before you're able to defend yourself.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    It is just fine and if you plan to use the gun in your own defense, it is the norm.

Just be safe. :)

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I have heard something along the lines of this: it is illegal to have a bullet in the chamber when carrying a handgun in Indiana.

Is this true? Seems a bit pointless to carry if you have to chamber a bullet before you're able to defend yourself.

Absolutely, 100% false.

How do these things get started?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've never even heard that rumor.

There are folks who believe it is dangerous to carry a 1911 pistol with one in the chamber and the hammer cocked, safety on, despite the fact that the gun was specifically designed to be carried that way.

Others believe it is dangerous to carry a revolver with a round in the chamber under the hammer, and this is PARTIALLY true. On typical SA cowboy style guns it is dangerous. On a modern DA revolver it is perfectly safe.

Could be that some of these things morphed into the rumor that it was illegal?

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    5 years ago a friend of mine that is IMPD told me that he could shoot me 6 times before I could chamber a round, since then I always have one in the chamber.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    5 years ago a friend of mine that is IMPD told me that he could shoot me 6 times before I could chamber a round, since then I always have one in the chamber.
    Judging from some I've seen shoot, they would have shot AT you 6 times, now whether or not you were hit?

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I dunno. Those folks over in Israel are pretty danged fast with chambering a round.

Do it like this: Draw the pistol. Instead of using your weak hand to support, use to to rack, quickly. Continue the pistol in a stabbing motion toward the target, and as you reach the end of your reach, squeeze the trigger.

You'd be surprised how reflexive and accurate you are with this method of point shooting.

This is one method I use when point shooting (only the round is already chambered). The other is simple body indexing.

Josh <><

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I want nothing that will require me to use the arm that is currently in the mouth of the angry bear. I need to be able to go one handed in the case that my situational awareness failed to tell me what was standing right behind me while peeing in the woods...

Or that arm that is currently acting as a scabbard for the bad guy's knife (dang 21 foot rule and elevators)...

Or the left hand that has parried off the other guy's lorcian just long enough to give me a last chance at life...

Or the left hand that is faking submission as I pull out my "wallet"...

Or the left hand that is now suddenly missing (probably toast in this case but at least we can go together)...

You get my point. (that I need to take some classes and keep up on situational awareness :): ) Seriously, I kinda think that if/when it happens, it will not be pretty and it may happen one handed. :twocents:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I want nothing that will require me to use the arm that is currently in the mouth of the angry bear. I need to be able to go one handed in the case that my situational awareness failed to tell me what was standing right behind me while peeing in the woods...

Or that arm that is currently acting as a scabbard for the bad guy's knife (dang 21 foot rule and elevators)...

Or the left hand that has parried off the other guy's lorcian just long enough to give me a last chance at life...

Or the left hand that is faking submission as I pull out my "wallet"...

Or the left hand that is now suddenly missing (probably toast in this case but at least we can go together)...

You get my point. (that I need to take some classes and keep up on situational awareness :): ) Seriously, I kinda think that if/when it happens, it will not be pretty and it may happen one handed. :twocents:

:+1:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Yup.

Usually I practice it as part of TRB, rarely alone - though it's fun and challenging to do alone.

Josh <><

Top Bottom