• lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Background:
    I have some steel targets in the yard that are 60 yards from the deck. I use these for quick test shots or to unwind without making a trip to the range.

If using a centerfire rifle, the smallest target at 4” (6.4 MOA) didn’t provide enough challenge. I wanted some more targets farther away that could still be shot from the deck.

I cleared a place in the woods across the pond so I could have some targets at 132 yards. A backstop is not a problem as there is a good sized hill rising immediately behind the new location. I also have a clear view of the bullet’s entire path to the target stand.

I got a discarded metal frame from my son. It had been used to hold a 2-person swing.

I wanted to hang some steel targets from the top beam of the swing frame. I needed to decide what material to use to attach the targets to the frame.

[Note: The stand was built in August of 2011. It wasn’t until November that I made the time to write this review. The trees in Brown County don’t still have their leaves!]

Bobcat Steel Targets:

All the targets I used are from INGO Advertiser Bobcat steel. They make a fine line of AR500 (abrasion resistant) steel targets.

http://bobcatsteel.com/

How to Hang the Targets?:

Here’s what the frame looked like as I started the project.

2anax4.jpg

I considered hanging the targets with chain or steel cable. I was concerned that they would swing too much. I’d like the swinging to last less than 3 seconds so follow-up shots could be taken. I decided to look into using rubber straps of some sort.

Finding the Right Straps:

Attempt #1 – Mud Flaps

I started out trying strips cut from truck mud flaps. After trying to find some used flaps without success, I bought a new flap at Rural King in Martinsville.

I cut strips from the flap and drilled a mounting hole for the ½” bolt I used to attach the steel target.

The frame was moved to the yard, near the existing 60 yard targets. For testing, I set up the frame with one target and the mud flap material clamped to the cross member.

Frame in the yard.
    rhqtee.jpg

One test target on the frame.
    293vlhg.jpg

I shot four rounds of .223 at the steel target. I also shot 2 rounds through the strap to see how much it was damaged.

Two shots through the rubber strap:
    zjazgi.jpg

Close-up of the exit holes:
    dpieeb.jpg

Looks like this material could sustain many hits before it was worn out.

The steel target never wrapped up and over the target stand. That’s good. It did swing for quite a while, 15 seconds or more. That’s not good. I want much less swinging.

Possible solutions:
    -- try two layers of the rubber mud flap material
    -- try tire tread
    -- try horse stall mat material (This idea came from INGO member ReSSurrected!)
    -- try the mudflap material with a second layer of other material (sheet metal, masonite, thick plastic)
    -- a more cumbersome fix would be to run a chain side-to-side under the targets by attaching it to the cross member on each side leg. Then run a bungee cord from the chain up to a hole in the rubber behind the target. This would allow the target to move when struck, but should quickly bring it back to position. The downside is more stuff hanging on the target and potentially getting hit.

Attempt #2 – Truck Tire Tread

I picked up a chunk of truck tire tread along the highway. I wanted to see if it could be cut into a workable piece. I expected it to be much more resistant to swinging. It did have lots of steel reinforcing wire in it making it hazardous to work with. I didn’t have the right tools, so I cut it with my circular saw and an older blade. You should have seen the smoke and sparks! :D

For testing, I mounted a 24” piece of truck tire tread on the frame. It had a definite twist. If I ended up using the tire treads, I’d try another piece to see if I can get one that is straighter.

Here’s a view showing the twist in the piece.
    24n47jo.jpg

Here’s a closer view of the hits on the steel. Above the steel are bullet holes in the rubber.
    11l37y9.jpg

The good aspects: It doesn’t swing much at all! I’m guessing it would be very rugged and long-lasting with all the wire in it.

The bad aspects: It has sharp wires all around the edges making it dangerous to handle. It was difficult to work with during initial fabrication. I didn’t have the right tools so I abused the tools I do have.

I realized that I’m not hearing much of a ‘ding’ from the hits on steel. The rubber is probably dampening the sound.

Attempt #3 – Horse Stall Mat

To save some money, I found a damaged mat at Tractor Supply Company. The 4’x6’ mats are very heavy; have some fiber reinforcing in them; and stink like asphalt/petroleum.

I was able to cut the mat with a carpet knife. It took many many passes with the knife to complete the cut. The mat was about ¾” thick.

Close view of bullet penetration on the stall mat.
    f04rjc.jpg

The mat took hits just fine. Damage was minor. Unless I missed more than I hit, I figured these straps would last a good long time.

Unfortunately, a single strap of this material would swing too long for my needs. So, I layered two straps together and it firmed up the mounting considerably. I mounted one strap on the front of the cross beam and the other strap on the back. This created a ‘triangle’ when viewed from the side. That configuration really stopped the swinging.

Assembling the Target Stand:

It was time to assemble the target stand.

I bought the required hardware taking the double thickness of the straps into account.

The top beam of the stand was measured and drilled to provide six target stations.

More straps were cut out. I drilled a series of holes in each strap so in the future, I could attach any size target at whatever height I wanted. I also made a wide strap for the IPSC target since it had two mounting holes.

Initial assembly of the target stand
    fvvkhs.jpg

Rear view of the stand
    2n6gp0.jpg

In an attempt to get more of a ring from the steel targets, I mounted them with several washers to give an offset from the rubber strap. I don’t think it helped much.

Close-up showing the steel target attachment
    14noajd.jpg

Installing the Stand:

After in initial assembly was done, I took the six targets and straps back off for transport and re-assembly at the final location across the pond. When I cut out the opening in the woods for the stand, I also cut a walking trail access from a nearby ATV trail.

Final stand in-place
    2eyeyvl.jpg

The target stand sits on sloped ground so I dug some shallow holes on the high side so the legs would fit in them and become more level. I also put two heavy concrete angle blocks on the back of the stand to keep it from falling forward as the steel pieces would swing. It has never moved since I installed it.

View from the target stand back toward the house
    4ugnd0.jpg

Using the Target Stand:

Here’s what the stand looks like from the deck. In the first picture, you can see both sets of targets.

Shooter’s view from the deck toward both sets of targets
    ekpb7s.jpg

Medium-range view of the new target stand
    37djl.jpg

Costs:

I didn’t keep close track of all the costs, but here is an estimate:

Frame: Free
    Steel Targets: Market price, see Bobcat Steel website
    Horse Mat: $36
    Hardware: about $12
    Spray paint: $4

Final Comments:

I find the large diamond plate to be handy to check point of aim on initial shots. I’ve used it to fine tune my scope settings before shooting at the smaller steel targets. The picture of the stand (five pictures back) shows several shots being adjusted from the upper right more toward the center.

I do have to spray paint the targets after use. Since I’m out on the property often, it’s not too much of a chore.

The far left target position now sports a Bobcat Steel bowling pin target! With the extra holes in the straps, targets can be mixed and matched as the shooter desires.

The smallest steel targets I currently have are 4” in diameter. That’s 2.9 MOA with the new stand. So the difficulty about doubled from the closer set of targets; from 6.4 MOA to 2.9 MOA.

I never was able to get much of a ring sound out of the steel targets. However, when shooting with a scope, I can see the hits easily on the white paint.

Shooting at 132 yards isn’t a long distance for many INGO shooters, but due to the shape of my property, it’s about the farthest I can safely shoot from the deck. So, I use smaller and smaller targets to increase the challenge. Perhaps I’ll need to see if Bobcat Steel can make some 3” and 2” targets! :yesway:

Last edited:

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Beautiful job! Doesn't Indiana have laws about shooting over water? Hate to see you get into trouble.

You are likely referring to the DNR regulations.

DNR: Hunting Guide & Regulations

These regulations apply to the use of public land and waters. If the pond/lake is held by an individual, it doesn't apply.*

*Some DNR regulations (i.e. hunting of some species) apply to all land since the animals roam across property lines. Likewise, some lake and stream regulations apply broadly if the body of water is connected to public waters. That's not the case here.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Dave as usual, your report is excellent.:yesway::yesway::ingo:

Great job on this, looks like this is something to suggest to my F.I.L. and wife's Uncle!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I never was able to get much of a ring sound out of the steel targets. However, when shooting with a scope, I can see the hits easily on the white paint.

Although it doesn't *ring* as much, you still get a nice solid *thud* when the round hits.

Its certainly the nicest hillbilly setup I've ever used! :laugh:

Thanks for putting the report together. Hopefully it will inspire others and perhaps they will share their ideas as well.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    looks great!!!.....i use old conveyor belt that a buddy of mine gets from the coal mine....as i have tried chains,cable,steel pipe and nothing holds up to repeated shots like belting...

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Very cool! It is built to take quite a beating for sure. Do you get a very audible feedback noise from the steel when you hit it or does the rubber eat up the ring?

My only concern would be lead splatter and water runoff into your pond. You might build some kind of catch to eat up the worst of the splatter that will strike down in front of the targets.

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    Where is your place at Lovemywoods? That looks just like my shooting spot off Mt. Liberty rd. We have a ravine (or whatever you call it) that was dammed up back in the early 60's into about a 3 acre pond about 35ft deep. I hope I can afford to pack up here in Indy and move down there full time someday soon. I have a bunch of bobcat steel hanging up down there too.

Top Bottom