• ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Very cool! It is built to take quite a beating for sure. Do you get a very audible feedback noise from the steel when you hit it or does the rubber eat up the ring?

My only concern would be lead splatter and water runoff into your pond. You might build some kind of catch to eat up the worst of the splatter that will strike down in front of the targets.

The steel targets and rubber straps should stand up pretty well. I didn't do anything to reinforce the original swing frame. As long as I don't miss too wildly, the frame should stay together pretty well.

I wish I got more noise from hits. Rather than a ring sound, it's more of a muted 'thwack' sound when you hit it. You know it was a hit, but isn't quite as much fun as a solid 'twang!'

I really didn't consider the splatter too much. Since I will be shooting only rifles at it, there won't be a high number of rounds sent that way. (Not nearly as many as at the pistol range!) Most of the lead will form a stable oxide in the soil. The pond has a 7 million gallon capacity so it can absorb quite a bit of stuff. Additionally, the watershed is around 64 acres, so there is usually a pretty good flushing of the pond during most parts of the year.

I'd love to have you over to refresh our NPOA skills! The smallest targets are about 2.9 MOA, so it's in the neighborhood of the Appleseed requirement!

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I wanna be lovemywoods when I grow up... *sigh* Awesome use of the swing stand! :yesway::yesway: I have one in my back yard but unfortunately I'm not in a place where I can shoot.

Top Bottom