• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We had to have one of our old maple trees topped a few months back, it was in bad shape and the one remaining branch was threatening the house. Hated to do it and don't really want to just grind it away so my wife and I were talking and she wants me to build a play house for our grandson on it.

I'm thinking maybe just a little 6x6 shack which I have no problems building but I'm not sure what a safe way would be to attach it to the tree trunk? I was thinking of maybe building an octagon out of 2x12s which bolt in to the sides of the trukn and stick up just enough to provide a level building surface to work from. I've never done anything like this so I figured I'd ask before jumping in to any one idea too deep.

Thought about possibly building a set of spiral stair around the outside going up to the shack. I'm not opposed to stripping the bark and cleaning up whatever is needed to make it look good. Open to any and all ideas at this point.

fuWiUnrh.jpg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Why not just attach it the top? It doesn’t look very level so it may not be as straightforward as I’m imagining.

The flair at the top might be kinda tricky attaching supports on the side.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Definitely remove the bark....moisture gets under there and speeds up the rotting process. I would paint roofing tar the top as well
    FIFY

If it were me I'd level the top, tar it, then find the longest, largest Headlok screws I could find and screw in the floor frame to the top.
    I'd then add angled braces from the sides of the trunk to the corners of the floor to stabilize it.

Oh, and dont forget the armored. snipers nest on top. Cant forget that.

(for your "grandkid" Riiiiiiiiiiight. ;) )

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think there used to be a TV show about people building really cool tree houses. If they're on YouTube that could require a couple hours research from the couch...
    Treehouse Masters... and yes they do make some really cool treehouses! Probably a little fancier (and bigger) than what phylo is looking for, but still a neat show to watch.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    Use stainless steel lag bolts to attach any support boards to the tree. We had a deer stand attached with regular lag bolts and they rusted through after a few years.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Use stainless steel lag bolts to attach any support boards to the tree. We had a deer stand attached with regular lag bolts and they rusted through after a few years.
    That was one of my primary areas of concern was the hardware that goes in to the trunk. I've experienced the same thing putting bolts into trees. For us it was mounting camera arm brackets to a couple of trees with lag bolts, they were corroded through within two years.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I would presume the lags rusting was primarily due to the wood being actively wet due to it being alive and all of the water they take up. I suspect a dead tee that isn’t taking up water actively wouldn’t be prone to the same issues as a live tree.

And I’ll second the debarking. I’ve seen trees left rot in no time and debarked trees stand for decades.

Top Bottom