• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dss21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    I disassembled my AR for cleaning and noticed a very hard build up of carbon/powder residue on the radius of the bolt behind the sealing rings. Is this common? If so what is a good way to remove it? Solvent didnt seem to have much effect. I was wondering about using a ultrasonic cleaner but didnt want to hurt the coating. Any advise?

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't see how the ultrasonic cleaner would hurt the finish on the bolt. You would probably need to clean the majority of the build up off by hand but the detail/finish work could be handled by the ultrasonic cleaner.

ssgjason

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Southern IN
    Remember, more often than not, more damage is done to rifles from excessive cleaning than shooting. The only time I scraped any part of the BCG was because of the DS's and/or Supply's desire to have a spotless rifle.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Remember, more often than not, more damage is done to rifles from excessive cleaning than shooting. The only time I scraped any part of the BCG was because of the DS's and/or Supply's desire to have a spotless rifle.

:+1:

The instructors I've trained with have taught that, contrary to conventional military wisdom, the carbon buildup on the bolt tail is basically harmless and that area need not be obsessively kept clean. If you want to do so, however, the easiest method I've found is to soak it in Kroil or some other penetrating oil, and use a "greenie" kitchen scrubbing pad.

The tools made for scraping the bolt tail are what some would refer to as a "transfer device" - i.e. a product made expressly for the purpose of transferring money from your pocket to theirs. :):

Redemption

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    No need to worry about it. First shot re-coats the tail with carbon anyway. Scrape it if it seems unsightly but it ain't hurting anything.

Top Bottom