• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'm assuming that budget includes optic? In that case I would suggest handling the following in addition to the Howa and Savage before you decide: Browning A-bolt, Mossberg Patriot, Thompson Center Venture, Bergarra B 14, Winchester XPR, Tikka T3, Steyr Pro Hunter. The latter two will probably be harder to find locally for that price but can be found without too much effort online.

If that is just the budget for the rifle, then you can probably also add the Browning X-bolt and Ruger Hawkeye.

Either way, try as many as you can and see what fits and feels the best for you. Also, keep in mind that the first corner that is usually cut on a "budget" rifle is the stock, with cheap plastic being the frequent choice. Of the two options you specifically asked about, I have owned both and would probably be a toss up if I were limited to just those two. I like the Savage action and stock options slightly better in that price range but prefer the Howa trigger since I don't really care for the Accu-Trigger.

You can get a Howa barreled action for ~ $500 and put a $200 Boyd's under it. The resulting combo should run circles around a comparable $700 Savage, I'd guess.

I bought a $300 Savage 12FV and upgraded the stock to a GRS ($540 or so). Not cheap, but a solid rifle all around. It's too heavy for a field gun, and the barrel is too long. Also, I now have an $800 rifle with the barreled action from a $300 savage. It's not the model of smoothness (chamber reaming is pretty rough). But it works and hold 1/2 MOA with preferred loads.

I think the Howas are arguably the best value going in terms of quality vs $$. And you can go anything from low budget to top shelf with the stock and be sure you have an excellent barreled action regardless.

ALSO, AND THIS IS HUGE: many places now sell Howa pre-fit barrels with barrel nut conversions that are easily done. So you can gain the main advantage of a Savage without being stuck with a Savage action and accutrigger. (I happen to think my Savage actions are just fine, but I can see why some don't like the accutrigger).

IMO, the Howa trigger is superior to the Accutrigger, and not by a little.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ya know. A clean old 760 w a 4x wouldn't be a bad starter deer rifle. Paid 500 for my worn .35 rem. Slapped a minty Leupold compact 4x on it for another 210 ( w rings and base ).

I bought it worn looking , because at 25 off my elbows it put 3 leverevolutions into one hole.

4x sucks past 75. For zeroing, but it does 1.5" or better at 100

Trigger could use improvement but it shoots good enough i just left it.

Might get another in .300 savage

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I snagged a used Ruger M77 Mk II Compact and a 10X, mil-dot Bushnell Elite 3200 already mounted about ten years ago for $500. I still have the rifle, but it's wearing a low end Leupold variable power (3-9X I think). It was almost impossible to shoot offhand at 10X! Anyway that little rifle is very handy and didn't cost much. If I go deer hunting for the first time this year, it will be what goes with me.

ccha8778

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2019
    The Region
    What cartridge did you go with?

Safety points about rifles:

1) Keep the muzzle in the dirt, and if there's fur under the crosshair, but sky above-and-below, that's not a shot.

2) If a "good shot" on a der seems like it might be questionable for some other reason, I assure you, it IS questionable.

3) Those maximum ranges listed on the boxes...they aren't made up. There's only ever about 30 degrees between you and a life of regret.

Observe. THINK. Shoot.

-Nate

It was a .308. Thanks for the tips! I'm a long time shooter, first time hunter. Fortunately I have access to private land in Valparaiso.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I snagged a used Ruger M77 Mk II Compact and a 10X, mil-dot Bushnell Elite 3200 already mounted about ten years ago for $500. I still have the rifle, but it's wearing a low end Leupold variable power (3-9X I think). It was almost impossible to shoot offhand at 10X! Anyway that little rifle is very handy and didn't cost much. If I go deer hunting for the first time this year, it will be what goes with me.

Hunted chucks for years w a fixed 10X AO Leupold on a 700. Yup, offhand shooting was "different".
    Lower mag helps keep the corrections/anxiety way down LOL

Met a coworker at his private range, drove up and he was on the bench.
    Handed me a 7 mag BDL w a fixed 12X on it.
    Had painted steel hanging at 135 yards and said "shoot it".
    Offhand, winter...........I shot. Clang!
    Said do it again. Clang.
    About 2" apart, center.

I was sweatin, touched em off at 3rd or 4th pass.
    And no, I didn't tell him that.

BTW, bought that 7 mag too :)

Jumpy off the bench, but comfy enough. Sold and went .300 mag. That was doable but was hard on my sinus (shock, jolt or just snot slosh?)
    I'm inclined to stop at 7 mag these days.

If I ever go after elk.
    Proly wear something like a 3-9X.

Buddy had the 12X on that rifle way back for accuracy testing.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    TC Compus in 308 looks like a good budget rifle. I handled one awhile back it feels good. It would be a nice one to have for hunting and you never have to worry about it getting dented or scratched up. Put a $200 vortex scope on it you would be good to go for about everything in North America.

Dont forget about an old SKS. It's like a 30/30 energy wise. Its It's well within a budget.

Last edited:

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    UPDATE: Thanks everyone for the feedback. I ended up purchasing a used Thompson Center Compass with scope for $325, I've added a sling, bipod and muzzle brake for a total investment of just over $400. Time to hunt!!
    Great choice. With handloads mine always puts out a 3/4” or so group. With factory hunting loads it usually does 1”

hopefully you got yourself a nice shooter

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    IMO, the Howa trigger is superior to the Accutrigger, and not by a little.

I assume you are talking about the trigger on the newer Howa's? My Howa is an older model and the trigger is ok but nothing to write home about. I haven't shot any of the newer Howas with the improved trigger yet. I greatly prefer a good normal trigger over the bladed accu-trigger types so popular on budget rifles now.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    UPDATE: Thanks everyone for the feedback. I ended up purchasing a used Thompson Center Compass with scope for $325, I've added a sling, bipod and muzzle brake for a total investment of just over $400. Time to hunt!!

Bummer... I just posted a NIB Thompson Center Compass (30-06) in the classifieds for just $250... I wanted to post this deal a week ago, but just got too busy.

Sounds like you got a good deal though.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Bummer... I just posted a NIB Thompson Center Compass (30-06) in the classifieds for just $250... I wanted to post this deal a week ago, but just got too busy.

Sounds like you got a good deal though.

That will sell quick at that price.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I assume you are talking about the trigger on the newer Howa's? My Howa is an older model and the trigger is ok but nothing to write home about. I haven't shot any of the newer Howas with the improved trigger yet. I greatly prefer a good normal trigger over the bladed accu-trigger types so popular on budget rifles now.

yes, the new HACT trigger.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Budget hunting rifle...
    It's a cheap second hand rifle and a cheap second hand scope but it makes half inch holes where you aim.

Gee golly I always wanted one of them scary black rifles :patriot:

About .308's, it just doesn't get any better. More fun maybe, but not better.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Budget hunting rifle...
    It's a cheap second hand rifle and a cheap second hand scope but it makes half inch holes where you aim.

Gee golly I always wanted one of them scary black rifles :patriot:

About .308's, it just doesn't get any better. More fun maybe, but not better.

Is that a muzzle loader?

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Yes, a Traditions "Deerhunter", pretty much bottom of the barrel for off the shelf muzzleloaders. Percussion, fifty caliber, 48" twist, 24" barrel, single trigger with light pull, black painted wooden stock (cheaper to make than plastic?). A 2x7 pistol scope and octagonal compression mounts from ebay to avoid drilling and tapping. The ram rod (not pictured) slides right in passed the octagonal mounts.

This is another Deerhunter, a flintlock but otherwise same gun with a shotgun barrel hung on it.

I've got a plastic stock for one of those around here in a box somewhere along with a fifty caliber flintlock barrel. Maybe can find another lock and stick it together. Been wanting to have one in a small caliber for a long time.

seeker1321

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Elkhart
    I debated on creating a new post but I thought I would just ask in this existing one. I saw a few of you recommended the TC Compass. I am looking at getting a scoped rifle. This would be my first hunting/long range rifle. I don't plan on hunting with it this year, I will put my range time in with it first and maybe use it for hunting next fall. I was curious what your thoughts were on either of these two rifles bundled with the scope. Is the Vortex Copperhead a good scope? Or would I be better off buying a rifle separate and getting a better scope.
    tccompass.PNG

Thank you for your thoughts and advice.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I debated on creating a new post but I thought I would just ask in this existing one. I saw a few of you recommended the TC Compass. I am looking at getting a scoped rifle. This would be my first hunting/long range rifle. I don't plan on hunting with it this year, I will put my range time in with it first and maybe use it for hunting next fall. I was curious what your thoughts were on either of these two rifles bundled with the scope. Is the Vortex Copperhead a good scope? Or would I be better off buying a rifle separate and getting a better scope.
    View attachment 81727

Thank you for your thoughts and advice.

No experience with Vortex scopes, but I hear nothing but praise about them.
    That said, most of the time when you buy an entry level rifle/scope combo, and I'd consider the T/C Compass "entry level", they usually go cheap on the scope.
    I'm a little surprised to see the name Vortex bundled with that rifle, at that price, but I bet it would be a completely serviceable setup.

Years back I bought a Howa 1500 in .204 Ruger and it came with a Nikko Sterling scope.
    I was skeptical about the scope, but I wanted the rifle.
    The scope turned out to be much better quality than I'd expected, and still sits on top of that Howa.

Top Bottom