• ...and so much more!
  • Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Yup, the one on my Pietta 1851 Navy.

Was having a really nice session at Henryville range, when cylinder stopped turning. I thought no problem I have fixed this before, broke hand spring ez pz. Stopped at the CVS in Scottsburg and picked up some bobby pins.

When I got home and started disassembly, I had quite the shock when i removed the hammer and saw that the actual hand had broke.

So two questions, 1. recommendations on where to pick up a replacement, preferably drop in but I guess i can work it if I have to, and 2. Is there any particular reason that causes the actual hand to break? The spring wearing out I can easily understand, but the hand seems a rather sturdy piece.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I broke my hand once and my wife was useless. Trust me, use your girlfriend instead?

I will second Numrich Gun Parts. :):

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Just a thought I just read on wikipedia:
    Brazing is widely used in the tool industry to fasten 'hard metal' (carbide, ceramics, cermet, and similar) tips to tools such as saw blades. "Pretinning" is often done: the braze alloy is melted onto the hard metal tip, which is placed next to the steel and remelted. Pretinning gets around the problem that hard metals are hard to wet.

Brazed hard metal joints are typically two to seven mils thick. The braze alloy joins the materials and compensates for the difference in their expansion rates. In addition it provides a cushion between the hard carbide tip and the hard steel which softens impact and prevents tip loss and damage, much as the suspension on a vehicle helps prevent damage to both the tires and the vehicle. Finally the braze alloy joins the other two materials to create a composite structure, much as layers of wood and glue create plywood.

The standard for braze joint strength in many industries is a joint that is stronger than either base material, so that when under stress, one or other of the base materials fails before the joint.

Do you think this might be worth taking to a jewler I know and having him braze it to get around waiting for a new part? I don't have any silver solder and my oxy/propane jewelers torch is out of commission at the moment. If the joint is stronger than the base metals, this could be a quick fix, right?

Just looking at alternates to ordering and filing ( which probaly should be read: me screwing it up the first time and having to re-order, lol)

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Pietta is still alive and strong, contact the manuf. and give them the serial number, they can check if the current parts will still work in yours.

I've been working on a MIL Thunder Five with a broke hand.....now that's a nightmare of a piece to find

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    All better!

After much hemming and hawing I ordered from 2 from Dixie Monday night. https://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=1097&osCsid=gsm80oga2pvjlcehkbmttstp13 They got here today, very fast!

Wasn't a drop in but it was close. Put the clearance bevel up by on the outside of the tip, and filed a mite on the other side got it smooth through the gap. put it in and after the hammer was lowered the first time, it wouldn't cock. Felt it was too long trying to turn the cylinder before the bolt dropped, so I shortened it a bit. Got it to where it would cock somewhat but still was "catchy" and every few cylinders it would "jump" past the one it was supposed to go to halfway to the next, so I pulled it and shortened it some more a few thousandths. Put it back in and it;s now very smooth.

Everything lines up like it's supposed to, timing seems good, still locks up good like she's supposed to. Think I might take it to Henryville to the range tomorrow, since I ain't got my hunting permit yet for squirrels. Plus if everyone is in the woods chasing tree rats, I can probably get a table easy and have a good long time to play.

+1 to Dixie Gun Works!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    All better!

After much hemming and hawing I ordered from 2 from Dixie Monday night. https://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=1097&osCsid=gsm80oga2pvjlcehkbmttstp13 They got here today, very fast!

Wasn't a drop in but it was close. Put the clearance bevel up by on the outside of the tip, and filed a mite on the other side got it smooth through the gap. put it in and after the hammer was lowered the first time, it wouldn't cock. Felt it was too long trying to turn the cylinder before the bolt dropped, so I shortened it a bit. Got it to where it would cock somewhat but still was "catchy" and every few cylinders it would "jump" past the one it was supposed to go to halfway to the next, so I pulled it and shortened it some more a few thousandths. Put it back in and it;s now very smooth.

Everything lines up like it's supposed to, timing seems good, still locks up good like she's supposed to. Think I might take it to Henryville to the range tomorrow, since I ain't got my hunting permit yet for squirrels. Plus if everyone is in the woods chasing tree rats, I can probably get a table easy and have a good long time to play.

+1 to Dixie Gun Works!

Awesome! Love it when a plan comes together. Looking forward to your range report.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just a thought I just read on wikipedia:

Do you think this might be worth taking to a jewler I know and having him braze it to get around waiting for a new part? I don't have any silver solder and my oxy/propane jewelers torch is out of commission at the moment. If the joint is stronger than the base metals, this could be a quick fix, right?

That piece is corroded so a good cleaning is in order. Remove all oils with a good solvent like acetone. I have silver soldered pieces like this before but success depends on what it is made of.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Mystery metal is all I can say on composition. I ordered the 2 new ones, got one, and hit the range today.

She is shooting back to where she was. I ain't exactly one to clover leaf on paper with her that's for sure, lol. I can however put em in the vital area out to about 30 yards easy enough. I used a milk jug and gallon juice bottle scavanged from the range garbage can for testing 1 at appr 20 yrds and another at about 30.

Next I might order a new hammer so I can file the notch deeper and try to get point of aim, fill in the safty notch ( I heard that notch causes it to pull caps off) and polish some of the internals a bit.

She is running smooth though... Great Success!

Top Bottom