Breaking: 6 injured in movie theatre shooting in Lafayette, LA. Shooter dead.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Louisiana cinema shooting: Lafayette gunman 'had violent past' - BBC News

So the perpetrator;
    - was a felon (arson)
    - involuntarily committed
    - history of domestic abuse
    - was denied a CCW permit
    - ignored a 'No Guns' sign
    So on at least three points he was ineligible to pass a NICS background check. I can't wait to hear how universal background checks would have prevented this...

Was the felony a conviction or an arrest? Reports have said he bought his Hi-point fo-tay at a pawn shop legally.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    As is normally the case, the kinds of people who will do such things are simply psychotic. They are not acting out on political ideologies. They're acting out on their craziness.

It would be nice to see this logic applied a bit more evenly across ideologies in the public discourse but I know that's just crazy talk.

Anyway,

You think perhaps this fellow had some issues with the ladies? Chick flick, seems like mostly females were targeted although I haven't seen a full victim roster yet, combined with prior domestic allegations. I'd put even money on "women have rejected me one too many times, I'll show them" being most of his motivator for target selection and assorted mental illness as his trigger for becoming a mass murderer in the first place.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Was the felony a conviction or an arrest? Reports have said he bought his Hi-point fo-tay at a pawn shop legally.

He was subject to involuntary commitment to a mental hospital, which means that, in order to process a NICS check, he had to lie on his Form 4473. That means that the purchase constituted a felony, and was inherently illegal.

From the FFLs perspective, the sale was lawful. From the buyer's perspective, the purchase was absolutely unlawful. And once again, NICS suffered from GIGO, and issued a false negative for someone who should have been flagged as a federally prohibited person.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    He was subject to involuntary commitment to a mental hospital, which means that, in order to process a NICS check, he had to lie on his Form 4473. That means that the purchase constituted a felony, and was inherently illegal.

From the FFLs perspective, the sale was lawful. From the buyer's perspective, the purchase was absolutely unlawful. And once again, NICS suffered from GIGO, and issued a false negative for someone who should have been flagged as a federally prohibited person.
    So once again it appears that the system broke down at the bureaucracy level. We don't have a gun control issue we have a bureaucracy issue.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    That is where I have trouble with the news reports. It is my understanding that;
    11(b) he was a felon on account of an incident of arson
    11(f) he was judged mentally deficient as he was at one time involuntarily committed
    11(h) he was subject to a restraining order
    11(i) he was convicted of domestic violence

Even if he had lied about his mental health there were three other dis-qualifiers that should have prevented him passing a background check. Given the recent NICS failure with the SC Shooter it looks like there are some problems with the system.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That is where I have trouble with the news reports. It is my understanding that;
    11(f) he was judged mentally deficient as he was at one time involuntarily committed

Even if he had lied about his mental health there were three other dis-qualifiers that should have prevented him passing a background check. Given the recent NICS failure with the SC Shooter it looks like there are some problems with the system.

Surprise surprise surprise.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Do most states even report these? I'm betting privacy laws block this info even from getting into LE databases.

That's correct, most States and the Federal Government don't report mental health issues to NICS, and hipaa laws prevent some of that also.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

This is why we need to pass more anti-gun legislation. Don't you see that more laws will make the bureaucratic machine run much more smoothly. Or lets just get rid of guns altogether because the system can't function properly.

(It should be painfully obvious that this post is dripping heavily with sarcasm)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Do most states even report these? I'm betting privacy laws block this info even from getting into LE databases.

No idea. I know people argue against it, and then complain the system fails when they thing they argued against putting in the database wasn't in the database.

The real answer is to keep the violently mentally ill segregated from society so that the database becomes moot, but that's inhumane and/or tyranny.

Top Bottom