• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    As many of you know I have wanted to build this gun out now for a few years. I finally found a stock that was light enough for me (bad arm/shoulder) but now I need some additional info if possible.

Here's what it's going to look similar to when I am finished.
    profilepic1322_2.gif

Here's the stock I want to purchase. It's an SS EVOLUTION® RUGER® 10/22® ANY BARREL CHANNEL ROYAL LAMINATE (FINISHED)

Here's the part number
    Part ID : 3Z26823-1E-113

I own this barrel
    gloss-purple-std-end-1.jpg

• Designed to fit all Ruger®10/22® and aftermarket 10/22® style receivers without costly gunsmithing.
    • Precision machined from 6060 T-6 billet aluminum to a 0.920” bull barrel diameter.
    • 1 in 16” twist 4140 button rifled steel liner with 11° target crown for optimum accuracy.
    • Available with a standard barrel or threaded end barrel in ½” x 28 TPI* in your choice of colors.

I know the stock said it fits all barrels but I called Boyds to verify this information. The woman who answered the phone said I may need to do some modifications so that it will fit properly. Sigh...

What does this mean? What kind of modifications? Does it mean I may need a different/new type of retainer v-block? Or something different? Am I asking the right question? :)

I haven't ordered the stock yet. I'm just disappointed that I finally found one that's light enough for me but may not be what I should be using.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Typically what needs done, if anything, is that the "barrel channel" needs sanded out slightly to allow the barrel to rest in there without touching anything.

From what I understand, it's easy enough to wrap some sandpaper around a .92" dowell (Though a 1.0" would probably work) and then "twist sand" the barrel channel out until it fits.

I highly doubt you'll need a new V-block unless you want one. Shouldn't need one, though, due to the light weight Al barrel.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Oh I knew I would more than likely have to sand down the barrel channel. I watched the directions on Tactical Solutions website :) I may have to sand all the anodize off before it will fit. But it sounded worse coming from the lady's mouth at Boyds. hehehe

Well then that's awesome.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    The add says its good up to a varmit barrel. traditionally varmit barrels are smaller than bull barrels. It is probably cut out to .820 where as your barrel is .920.

As with the post above, it wont take long to sand it down.

turn n shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I think that you will really enjoy this rifle. I set up a 10/22 with this Boyd's stock, and really like it. I used a standard 10/22 barrel so that it "free floated," and it increased the accuracy. I also like the pistol grip that this stock has. Overall it greatly increased my enjoyment of the rifle. I have several 10/22s set up different ways, and this rifle has become my favorite, because of the stock, and a few other modifications.

Best Wishes,
    Tom

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I ordered a boyds blaster for a 10-22 last week and it was not drop in, but pretty close. I had to take off some material to get the barrel floating, and I had to take off a little at the mag well.

Its really not a big deal, you will have no troble doing it yourself.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Yeah I've had the purple barrel for quite some time. Just couldn't find a stock that felt comfortable and was something I could hold up for any length of time. I have already installed the purple mag release.

Looking for a purple anodized scope as well. :)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yeah I've had the purple barrel for quite some time. Just couldn't find a stock that felt comfortable and was something I could hold up for any length of time. I have already installed the purple mag release.

Looking for a purple anodized scope as well. :)

I'd imagine that you'll have a hard time finding one already done. And anodizing post-assembly probably isn't feasible.

Best bet will probably be Duracoat or Cerakote in your choice of colors.

-J-

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'd imagine that you'll have a hard time finding one already done. And anodizing post-assembly probably isn't feasible.

Best bet will probably be Duracoat or Cerakote in your choice of colors.

-J-

Leupold custom anodizes their scopes but its's not cheap.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Thanks. I had actually looked at that this morning.

You gotta love those colors! :)

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    What do you have against purple? Purple is AWESOME! Mine's a pink one right now. It'll probably be up for sale when I get my new stock.

nonotone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Oh I knew I would more than likely have to sand down the barrel channel. I watched the directions on Tactical Solutions website :) I may have to sand all the anodize off before it will fit. But it sounded worse coming from the lady's mouth at Boyds. hehehe

Well then that's awesome.

Spasmo, I'm not sure if Paul Zint, a gunsmith Sadieville, KY is still around, I heard that he had retired, but many considered Paul an expert on Tactical Solutions builds. I purchased many TS barrels and parts from him over the years. His knowledge of stocks, barrels, receivers, etc was worthy.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Spasmo, I'm not sure if Paul Zint, a gunsmith Sadieville, KY is still around, I heard that he had retired, but many considered Paul an expert on Tactical Solutions builds. I purchased many TS barrels and parts from him over the years. His knowledge of stocks, barrels, receivers, etc was worthy.

I asked him for a price quote about a year and a half ago - he told me then that he was retiring soon. Very nice guy from the few emails we traded then, and when I bought my TS Ruger pistol upper.

Top Bottom