Boy was I Dumb A today. Watch your surroundings.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PLANEMECH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Well went to local LGS again and was taking a 2nd look at a FEG SMC-380 they had and I asked if I could compare it’s size to a Bersa I have. They were totally ok as long as it was unloaded it. Which is fine but boy did make a mistake after taking the mag out and putting safety on I racked the slide to take a live round out. What I didn’t noticed was I totally accidentally was point it at a guy down the counter. He said “I’d appreciate if you would not do that towards me.” I was totally embarrassed and felt like an idiot. In my 40 years hunting and owning guns don’t think I’ve ever done such a stupid thing. I could not apologize enough and just wanted to leave because of my mistake. SO WATCH YOUR SURROUNDINGS AND DONT TAKE IT FOR GRANTED! I just had to vent this in a way of penitence I hope.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Well went to local LGS again and was taking a 2nd look at a FEG SMC-380 they had and I asked if I could compare it’s size to a Bersa I have. They were totally ok as long as it was unloaded it. Which is fine but boy did make a mistake after taking the mag out and putting safety on I racked the slide to take a live round out. What I didn’t noticed was I totally accidentally was point it at a guy down the counter. He said “I’d appreciate if you would not do that towards me.” I was totally embarrassed and felt like an idiot. In my 40 years hunting and owning guns don’t think I’ve ever done such a stupid thing. I could not apologize enough and just wanted to leave because of my mistake. SO WATCH YOUR SURROUNDINGS AND DONT TAKE IT FOR GRANTED! I just had to vent this in a way of penitence I hope.
    Everyone has a lapse now and again, glad no one was injured other than someone's nerves. A good reminder for ALL of us, anytime handling a firearm pay attention to your surroundings.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    The reason there are four rules (or three in some formulations) is so if one is inadvertently violated, another one backs it up. You could get away with one rule if you could absolutely positively without question never ever violate it. But humans. So multilayer security.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    At least he appeared to be nice about it. And you apologized.

That goes a long way.

PLANEMECH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    So did you buy the gun? Or were you going to buy the gun if it was the right size?
    No I didn’t. Size was basically the same size and shop only came down $10. Still wasn’t a bad deal but I talked my self out of it for now saw a 638 I’ve also been wanting. But I’m still contemplating it he will come down more if pay cash. Plus tomorrow is payday. Lol

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    No I didn’t. Size was basically the same size and shop only came down $10. Still wasn’t a bad deal but I talked my self out of it for now saw a 638 I’ve also been wanting. But I’m still contemplating it he will come down more if pay cash. Plus tomorrow is payday. Lol
    Bersa ? Now I am curious which model.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    .38 special vs .380 acp... I'd vote to take the .38 special!

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Confession is Good for the Soul.
    Everybody gets a Turn at doing something they Know Better, then Instantly Regret.
    Thanks for sharing this Public Service Reminder to All of us!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    At least you apologized and acknowledged that you did wrong. I don't like having guns pointed at me under any circumstances, but what really pisses me off is when the person who does it acts like it's no big deal and clearly learned nothing from the experience.

None of us is perfect, we all make mistakes. Be happy the outcome wasn't worse, learn from it, and go forth and sin no more :).

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    At least you apologized and acknowledged that you did wrong. I don't like having guns pointed at me under any circumstances, but what really pisses me off is when the person who does it acts like it's no big deal and clearly learned nothing from the experience.

None of us is perfect, we all make mistakes. Be happy the outcome wasn't worse, learn from it, and go forth and sin no more :).
    Exactly I have been known to be a jerk about it, depending on their response to my polite request to cease doing that.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I was at a LGS (that I don't go to any longer) looking at cleaning items on hangers when I saw a flash. I turned to my right and the salesman behind the counter was using me as a target to show a customer how the laser sight works.

380Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Bersa ? Now I am curious which model.
    I was wondering the same thing. I'm on my second Bersa (new one is a Thunder .380). My old one died with a broken slide. I found out they started their lifetime warranty just after I bought my old one. That really explains my luck perfectly.

Reactions: wcd

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I was at a LGS (that I don't go to any longer) looking at cleaning items on hangers when I saw a flash. I turned to my right and the salesman behind the counter was using me as a target to show a customer how the laser sight works.
    No wonder you don't go their anymore. THAT would really **** me off.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Many gun owners have read, memorized and can loosely recite the 4 rules. As I have taken heat about some of my comments regarding the training instructors, I still stand by a stronger more intense conditioning of the gun owner to actually “learn” the constant and consistent methods of gun handling. I have said it before that “there can be no teaching without learning” and I know very few trainers that can pull off the conditioning of the student so he does not have to “remember” the rules forever.

Any trainer, NRA or Gun Store Groupie can take the enrollment fee but it takes follow through and effort to condition the gun owner for safe gun use for the rest of his/her days.

The Military and Police can’t do it as they have limited resources spread thin among the volume of gun handlers. So that is clearly on the student to learn.

Our Firearm Instruction Culture needs to step up to a better curriculum of boring talk and waving blue guns around as the “student” eats cold pizza and waits patiently for his certificate.

I know mistakes will always be made by all of us humans and it is very easy for trainers to put the burden of learning on the student however the pride in our work as educators needs for us to adopt a better way.

Every time there is a gun accident it corrodes our rights let alone hurts and kills innocent people.

The unsafe gun handling, poor skill set and false sense of security rides the wave of the public exercising a right without a responsibility of education.

No, I am not saying we need mandated training for gun ownership but we can do a better job in spreading the news.

At each competition I witness gun owners who haven’t or won’t learn to improve their skill set or safe habits. I don’t mean noobs either. Some have been struggling for years and years. I also witness those that won’t try the shooting sports as to look the ugliness of ability in the eye.

I am glad the OP came forward in this post as he has learned the easy way. Could’ve been worse.

In a world of introverts Accomplished Shooters should help to spread the wealth of education. I will not hesitate to call out unsafe gunhandling especially when it is directed at me or my family.

Warning, it can bring on stiffed opinions of you by doing this. Ask me how I know.

Good luck to all

And I’ll see you on the range

Trapper

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane