• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    Need to get a present for a cousin...hes a bow hunter, and all I know is that his bow takes a crap load of pull to shoot. I dont know anything more about it, besides that he uses it for hunting deer. With that said, Id like to get him a nice arrow...Im assuming there are a ton of different types and I dont want to screw up and get him the wrong one. Specific laws, weights, sizes? anything I need to know? Any advice on arrows less than $50?

Update: Im def a newb, I didnt know the tips/broadheads didnt come with the arrows...maybe ill just get him a set of broadheads for whitetail...

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    bows are very finicay so you would need to get him exacply what he is using now same lengh and weight so it would be almost inposible to guess without just asking him

Rooster Cogburn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    MSG2 - Indianapolis
    When it comes to fitting a bow with arrows and tips, there's a lot involved. Length of draw determines arrow length, poundage of bow determines broadhead weight to use, etc...

My best advice is to either call him and ask what he needs/wants or buy a gift card.

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    Good points. Im getting him a 6 pack of NAP Thunderhead 100grain broadheads. Hopefully this will work ok? Seems to be consistent top reviews on this item...

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    as far as broadheads this year is the first year ive ever shot a expandable and im using the rage 2 i figure if they are good enough to make chuck adams finally switch to expandable they are good enough for me and i have to say that i have nothing bad to say so far

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Good points. Im getting him a 6 pack of NAP Thunderhead 100grain broadheads. Hopefully this will work ok? Seems to be consistent top reviews on this item...
    No. I hope you haven't done this yet.
    Bow hunters are very particular. You will likely not be able to guess what he might want or need. Cogburn had it right, get him a gift certificate. If he's local MCSports, not local http://www.eders.com/.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

Get a gift reciept.

Gifts for archers where you can only go wrong if they already have one.

Tuning kit
    Amazon.com: Used and New: Allen® Compact Bow Tuning Kit

Extra hand
    Cabela's -- Primos® Bow Holster

Hunting Archers
    Wave or the Supertool here. The best tools on it are the saw, file, pliers, and the blade. Any one you pick HAS to have those tools on it. The wave has rounded corners after you open it to use the pliers and you can open the other "blade" tools with the handles closed. That's a good thing.
    Cabela's -- Leatherman Multitools=

A straight fixed blade knife is what he needs for skinning. A buck 118 is about the best you can get. There's fancier and more expensive but a buck is best and the 118 is the size. Bigger is not always better.

The "Block" foam target is always handy as well as a 3D deer or turkey target. If he already has a deer to shoot at get a turkey or the block. Two of these is still good because then you can shoot walking both ways and get twice as much practice for the same amount of walking when practicing.

For the hunting archer who doesn't have a tree stand but has a really really great girlfriend, mom, dad, kids, or just a generous best friend, Summit Viper. Probably could get one of those on sale right now.

Top Bottom