• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Yeah but S hasn't hit the F, and there is no 5.56 to be found at a reasonable price right (if at all) and probably not for another year. I guess the guy will have to wait for the civil war, and his neighbor to go so he can raid the ammo stash to get any practice?
    In the unlikely scenario where people are dead on the street and you can go over and pick up their ammo off the ground, we're all probably gonna be dead.
    Also I think there are more practical caliber choices in today's word for the ar than 5.56. 7.62 and 6.5 grendel both offer deer hunting capability in the state, 5.56 doesn't. I'd suggest also that in close ranges, sub 200 yards, 7.62 would out perform 5.56 against human targets. Granted I've never been one to stick with tradition.

There's not going to be any 7.62x39 at a reasonable price after Gun Ban Joe takes office in January and bans importation of cheap steel case Russian ammo.

7.62x39 is for AKs anyway, not ARs. And 6.5 Grendel has very limited availability and is just as expensive as 5.56/223 right now. 300 Blackout is especially ridiculous, more expensive than .308 Win.

This is not a good time to buy, but I'd still stick with 5.56 in an AR platform. I doubt that it's being purchased for hunting.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    There's not going to be any 7.62x39 at a reasonable price after Gun Ban Joe takes office in January and bans importation of cheap steel case Russian ammo.

7.62x39 is for AKs anyway, not ARs. And 6.5 Grendel has very limited availability and is just as expensive as 5.56/223 right now. 300 Blackout is especially ridiculous, more expensive than .308 Win.

This is not a good time to buy, but I'd still stick with 5.56 in an AR platform. I doubt that it's being purchased for hunting.

:+1:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    All this talk about no ammunition, or high price ammunition makes me happy I reloading and stocked up on components. Even now the components are starting to dry up.

That wasn't a bad price considering whats going on. Magazine grab should have started when they projected Harris as our new president.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The excrement has yet to make physical contact with the hydro-electric powered, oscillating, air current distribution device. The day is still young...

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County

7.62 is for ARs too. That's why there are a bunch of uppers in that caliber. It's also being made for a number of bolt action rifles. The idea that any caliber is only for a specific rifle platform is antiquated.
    I'm finding more reasonable 6.5 grendel in my LGS and go-to online retailers, and it's cheaper per round than 223/556.
    To each his own; every person has the right of choice. My point was that buying 223 because it will be everywhere in the zombie apocalypse is a crazy way to think. I've never been a 5.56 guy. I wasn't even an AR guy until it started to be available in hunting calibers.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    7.62 is for ARs too. That's why there are a bunch of uppers in that caliber. It's also being made for a number of bolt action rifles. The idea that any caliber is only for a specific rifle platform is antiquated.
    I'm finding more reasonable 6.5 grendel in my LGS and go-to online retailers, and it's cheaper per round than 223/556.
    To each his own; every person has the right of choice. My point was that buying 223 because it will be everywhere in the zombie apocalypse is a crazy way to think. I've never been a 5.56 guy. I wasn't even an AR guy until it started to be available in hunting calibers.

Again with the hunting reference. If I wanted a hunting specific caliber in an AR, I'd probably go with 350 Legend. It's still available, heck, I saw some at Walmart last week! 7.62x39 is available in hunting loads, but not with as many options as 350 Legend. No interest in franken-uppers to turn my AR into something it is not, I've got AKs in the safe. Designed and built for steel case ammo.

What is your argument for 7.62x39 when ammo importation is banned next year? Have you priced any American made brass-cased 7.62x39 lately?

My AR is mission-specific, and it ain't hunting.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Yeah but S hasn't hit the F, and there is no 5.56 to be found at a reasonable price right (if at all) and probably not for another year. I guess the guy will have to wait for the civil war, and his neighbor to go so he can raid the ammo stash to get any practice?
    In the unlikely scenario where people are dead on the street and you can go over and pick up their ammo off the ground, we're all probably gonna be dead.
    Also I think there are more practical caliber choices in today's word for the ar than 5.56. 7.62 and 6.5 grendel both offer deer hunting capability in the state, 5.56 doesn't. I'd suggest also that in close ranges, sub 200 yards, 7.62 would out perform 5.56 against human targets. Granted I've never been one to stick with tradition.

There is nothing wrong with playing with different calibers for the Modern Sporting Rifle. There is nothing wrong to specific purpose MSR's. Just because one limits himself to apocalypse ready arms, doesn't mean you can't play with the others. Part of being a student of the gun means everything, ammo, maintenance, handloading, bunker stash etc. and most of all , knowing how to shoot and challenge your skill set. Hunting, Defense, or sport shooting makes no difference. Even the short lived 30 RAR was a fun round to play with. Learn it all. Be it all. Have fun with it all as Ranger Rick will probably die of gall stones before the zombies take over the earth. Be a Rebel against the sea of commonality in the shooting game. You will have some great times, fun, experience and know how. But most of all, you will be broadening your knowledge with actual shooting. Specific purpose gun owners miss out on a lot. Thanks for posting and see you on the range.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Again with the hunting reference. If I wanted a hunting specific caliber in an AR, I'd probably go with 350 Legend. It's still available, heck, I saw some at Walmart last week! 7.62x39 is available in hunting loads, but not with as many options as 350 Legend. No interest in franken-uppers to turn my AR into something it is not, I've got AKs in the safe. Designed and built for steel case ammo.

What is your argument for 7.62x39 when ammo importation is banned next year? Have you priced any American made brass-cased 7.62x39 lately?

My AR is mission-specific, and it ain't hunting.

More power to you. I'm not interested in continuing the online argument, because I think we're on the same side. My sincere hope is that neither you or I will ever have to use the AR platform for anything other than hunting and paper punching.
    Just in case you were wondering, 350 legend is almost identical in terms of ft pounds to the 7.62x39. ;)

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Unfortunately, no cache of ammo. IÂ’ve been picking up a box here and there as I find them. So I have some.

Hopefully that way you can build up a cache and add a few mags along the way. You did good, welcome to the AR World. But be forewarned and just like they say about Lays chips...betcha can't have just one!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    IMHO, if you don't already have an AR, it would be foolish to go with a new one (or two?) using any other cartridge than the one the rifle was designed for. :dunno:

You can always add a different caliber AR upper half down the road, if you choose. Again IMHO, your first caliber consideration AFTER 5.56 would be one that could still use the standard AR bolt and magazines.

The more specialized you get with your AR as far as caliber and parts, the less value it will have down the road. Especially if ammo availability problems take a swing your caliber way.

5.56 may be out of stock and expensive, but the amount collecting dust in every forward thinking gun owner's ammo supply is huge. Not so much with all the specialty calibers.

:twocents:

Last edited:

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    All this talk about ammo, really no one needs anything greater than .22 because you don't live in Kandahar.

Top Bottom