• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SouthBendIN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    South Bend
    ....Well almost. I put 25% down to hold the pistol for a few weeks. I'm contemplating on wether to get the Baby Eagle 9mm full size or an EAA Witness 9mm. Both pistols are full size. I'm going for magazine capacity and accuracy. The Baby Eagle was the last one that Midwest Gun Exchange in South Bend had. They had like 4 of them a few weeks ago in different variations. I should find out within the next to days if they are getting an EAA Witness in 9mm or not. Supposedly there is some on order. I can't make up my mind on which one to get. I've heard a lot of good things about both pistols. I already have a carry pistol so this one is going to be a range queen and home defense. Which would you guys get and why?

Also, I understand with the EAA's you can switch calibers by switching the barrel, which is nice. I have a S&W Sigma .40 that has a polymer lower and only about 150-200 rounds through it that I am selling because I like all steel pistols more and I want a 9mm.

Customer Support: The only problems I have heard about the Baby Eagles are it seems that sometimes people are getting bad factory magazines, but Magnum Research has good customer support from what I hear; while EAA supposedly had very lousy customer support.

Grips: I like the factory grips on the EAA a little more and I guess there are only 1 or 2 aftermarket grips you can get for the BE.

Mag. Capacity: The magazine capacity on the BE is 15+1 rounds while the EAA has 18+1 rounds. Wow 19 rounds??

Accuracy: I've heard a lot of raves about the accuracy of the BE. Looks like the EAA has superb accuracty as well. The BE has a polygonal barrel. Not sure what the EAA has.

Finish: The EAA looks like a 1911 while the BE looks very modern. They both look great. Althought I saw something on Firingline.com today about how the BE has a very low durability finish that scratches easily. After holding the BE It does seem like the finish isn't very durable. This would be my biggest concern about the BE.

The BE has a rail for attachments while the EAA does not. Both pistols have some weight on them, which I like.

BE= Made in Isreal
    EAA= Made in Italy

Price:
    BE= 549$
    EAA = Won't find out till tomorrow. Looks like they are going for upper 400's online.

I may have not have a choice here depending on if Midwest can get the Fullsize EAA in or not. Now that I typed all this out it looks like the EAA has an edge over the BE in terms of options that I am looking for (unless my info is wrong?)

Pictures of both:

Baby Eagle 9mm Full-Size
    jericho03b.jpg

EAA Witness 9mm Full-Size
    Witness_wonder1.jpg

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I can't put in any valuable insight on either model - SavageEagle has the Baby Eagle, IIRC, and I'm sure somebody here has an EAA Handgun. I'll let them provide their own input..

I'll be the goober who has to ask - why these two, specifically?? If I wanted an all-metal handgun, I'd personally look at the Smith and Wesson line. Sig makes an excellent firearm as well. Heck, a Ruger P-Series is an option in my book!!

If these are the two that you like the looks of, that's fine.. but if you're primarily looking for accuracy and capacity, there's other options that are right up there..

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    the eaa has great ergonomics and is a super smooth gun... it gets my vote... wait until they get it in then handle it and decide then.... only you can decide whats best for you.

SouthBendIN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Thanks for the input so far. I'm choosing between these 2 pistols rather because I love buying the "good underdogs," I guess you could say. I like buying the obscure.

Hopefully I will hear back from Midwest today about the EAA. If theres too long of a wait I will get the BE. They told me theres a possibility that there is some on the way. I probably should have started this thread after Midwest gets back to me, oh well.

Just a heads up, there will be a .40 Sigma in the for sale section either tonight or tomorrow.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I have a full size 9mm Baby Eagle Polymer frame. It is of Magnum Research origin with a test fire date of November 2008. I have put about 100 rounds down the tube with no problems at all. Gun feels great in the hand and is very accurate. I was shooting 115gr Remington.

The only beef I have with my Baby Eagle is that the finish on the slide seems to scratch really really really really easily. Finding after market products for the Baby Eagle can be a bit of a head ache too - hopefully to be improved by their new importer.

Charles Daly is now importing the Baby Eagle - so if you want to go the Eagle route you may want to wait and get one from them.

Jericho 941

You can check my Magnum Research Baby Eagle out here:
    INGunOwners - iamaclone45's Album: Handguns

SouthBendIN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Yea that is probably the most annoying thing I can find about the BE. I don't get why they wouldn't make it more durable.

Wouldn't the Charles Daly Jericho's have the same finish though? Its the same gun but different markings?

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    You might want to check Midwest Gun & Range in Elkhart; I thought both Midwest Gun shops were owned by the same owner/company (same logo & I've seen some of the same staff members at both stores) but apparently they are independent in pricing & stock inventory. You may want to call over there & see if they have the EAA Witness in stock-- I was at the range on Friday and I think they had one in stock.

Have you thought about the CZ 75B? All metal and legendary accuracy and performance. Comes in service, compact, and tactical models all in high capacity 9mm or .40; the CZ P-01 is highly respected and the CZ 97 in .45ACP is a perfect safe queen HD candidate too.

Take a look here if you haven't already seen this site; the Witness and BE rank as top choices for sure:
    The Best Nines - Best 9mm Pistol Site handgun review test gun dealer auction

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    You might want to check Midwest Gun & Range in Elkhart; I thought both Midwest Gun shops were owned by the same owner/company (same logo & I've seen some of the same staff members at both stores) but apparently they are independent in pricing & stock inventory. You may want to call over there & see if they have the EAA Witness in stock-- I was at the range on Friday and I think they had one in stock.

Have you thought about the CZ 75B? All metal and legendary accuracy and performance. Comes in service, compact, and tactical models all in high capacity 9mm or .40; the CZ P-01 is highly respected and the CZ 97 in .45ACP is a perfect safe queen HD candidate too.

Take a look here if you haven't already seen this site; the Witness and BE rank as top choices for sure:

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City

:yesway:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    good call! that same gun was on my to get list but I just couldn't get over the shortness of the slide height wise. but god it's a great gun.

Hghlndr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Kosciusko County
    +1 on the Baby Eagle. I am on my 2nd one. Had a brain fart and sold my first one. I have around 2000 rds through my second and haven't had a single problem. The accuracy is amazing.

Gooch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Ditto on the BE. Have an older Magnum Research one in .40 and have put at least 4000 rounds thru it over the past several years. Only one FTE and that was becasue I didn't notice a burr on the case. Awesome gun and still feels great in my hand. Thinking about having it Duracoated.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    BABY VS EAA

I had the same problem when I want to buy my 9mm. I loved the Baby Eagle but wanted a frame mounted safety. I ended up with a CZ/75 and ain't never looked back. I really like my CZ and am glad I bought it. Good luck on whatever one you chose.

anthony010

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Westfield
    I love Baby Eagle my buddy had one when I lived in vegas the most acuurate I have shot any gun the first time I picked it up, thinking about it......Im suprised I dont have one by now.

Top Bottom