• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I’ve been working with the crew who has been doing the repairs on the bus stops. You know what the superintendent told me was the reason for having to repair the stops so quickly after being built just three years ago?

“Apparently the buses were heavier than they thought they were.”

I’m tired of people passing the buck to the generation before them and not taking responsibility for their “leadership,” which they so desperately wanted that they spent millions in campaigning for a $100,000+ per year job.
    If only there were spec sheets for these things they could have referenced before starting construction...

Call me paranoid, but if today's contractor is the original contractor, I suspect its intentional.

Step 1, ignore specs and build substandard municipal project.
    Step 2, wait for your handiwork to fail requiring you to get paid to fix your original work.
    Step 3, profit.

I say make the original contractor pay for it. Ill bet lunch the weight of the busses were well documented. Hell, they just had to ask Phoenix. (who also should have warned us about battery life) If the contractor failed to pour pads thick enough to support the weight of known vehicles, its on them.

But an envelope of cash to a city council member would prevent that.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I’ve been working with the crew who has been doing the repairs on the bus stops. You know what the superintendent told me was the reason for having to repair the stops so quickly after being built just three years ago?

I’m tired of people passing the buck to the generation before them and not taking responsibility for their “leadership,” which they so desperately wanted that they spent millions in campaigning for a $100,000+ per year job.

The entire "public transit" thing is bull****.

I would be fine with hanging them myself.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Per Guy on the radio this PM: hearing on Wednesday afternoon. He said he was going to be there, I've been looking for an excuse to wear my "Come and Take It" polo.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    If only there were spec sheets for these things they could have referenced before starting construction...

Call me paranoid, but if today's contractor is the original contractor, I suspect its intentional.

Step 1, ignore specs and build substandard municipal project.
    Step 2, wait for your handiwork to fail requiring you to get paid to fix your original work.
    Step 3, profit.

I say make the original contractor pay for it. Ill bet lunch the weight of the busses were well documented. Hell, they just had to ask Phoenix. (who also should have warned us about battery life) If the contractor failed to pour pads thick enough to support the weight of known vehicles, its on them.

But an envelope of cash to a city council member would prevent that.
    As much of a conspiracy theorist and believer in political corruption as I am, I don’t think these are the same as the old days of union trash company contracts being awarded to somebody’s brother. The city actually uses no less than three separate inspection companies and all of them have severe penalties if they fail to uphold any part of their contract. To me, an envelope of cash just to turn around and be sued by the city for millions and having to repair the job at their cost AND the negative press surrounding a lawsuit for poor quality work is just not worth the hassle for the envelope.

Granted, I’m not a fan of the city blowing through millions of taxpayer dollars on some very stupid ****, but I’ve seen three inspection companies come out test concrete slump on every pour while they were fixing the platforms. I think this one is definitely under the category of “someone screwed up” in the planning phase.

If we really want to be ticked off, the new signage and stop lights at Washington/Davidson and Washington/Pine streets, to include the installation of all eight poles, running new electric mains, new cabinets, new light fixtures and new cabling, was all done because, as I was told by a superintendent, and I quote: “There was money leftover on the 65 project.”

They moved the poles 3-4 feet back from their previous position.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

Oh man. Yeah I've been following that, loosely. They spent all that money on the Red Line, don't even take fares most of the time, then bought these ridiculously expensive electric buses. First winter, they find out the buses can't complete a full route and still make it back to the charging station, so they set up a temporary *diesel generator* charging station up near Nora. After that fiasco, they realize the concrete pads at the bus stops can't take the weight, so they have to be completely torn up and replaced. Cue total closure of Meridian and, soon, a long stretch of College, and the paint isn't even dry from when they built it.

The dumbest people in the universe run this city. It honestly makes Bloomington look competent by comparison. Of course Joe's answer to his feral jerkoff constituents running wild and killing people is "hurr ban carry".

I will say that my understanding is the Red Line stops were initially built to a specification which did not include the weight of a fully loaded electric bus. I don't think they were built wrong, stupid people just bought electric buses without doing research.

If you hire a guy to build a bridge with a 10 ton weight limit, and you drive a 30 ton armored vehicle over it and it collapses, the bridge and the guy who built it did not do you some kind of wrong.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I see some of the busses now are EVs. I would assume those are significantly heavier, given the size the battery must be for a vehicle that big. I have no idea how long they've had the EV busses or if they even use that line, but I wonder if that possibly played in to it.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I see some of the busses now are EVs. I would assume those are significantly heavier, given the size the battery must be for a vehicle that big. I have no idea how long they've had the EV busses or if they even use that line, but I wonder if that possibly played in to it.
    That could play a part in it. I understand ineptitude but I don’t quite understand how the decision makers at the top who planned the new bus platforms and red/purple/whatever lines didn’t take into account all of the types of the buses in or being added to the fleet. It’s a vast failure in civil engineering.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That could play a part in it. I understand ineptitude but I don’t quite understand how the decision makers at the top who planned the new bus platforms and red/purple/whatever lines didn’t take into account all of the types of the buses in or being added to the fleet. It’s a vast failure in civil engineering.
    Are you new here? The derp is strong with this administration. In hindsight, I'm frankly not surprised.

They are also the same idiots that took valuable parking away from downtown businesses for that green car sharing boondoggle. We all told them "nobody wants these!" but they bought them anyway, paid tons of money to add the charging stations, then nobody used them. Surprise!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    They're still working on the purple line I think. I hope they've learned their lessons from the red line so they don't have to redo it in 3 years.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Are you new here? The derp is strong with this administration. In hindsight, I'm frankly not surprised.

They are also the same idiots that took valuable parking away from downtown businesses for that green car sharing boondoggle. We all told them "nobody wants these!" but they bought them anyway, paid tons of money to add the charging stations, then nobody used them. Surprise!
    Oh, and they also have a million bucks or so to put up a "temporary park" on Monument Circle, and a few million more to add a greenspace to Georgia Street. Boy, I'm sure glad that all the other roads in Indy have been fixed and aren't like driving across lunar craters.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Unenforceable and illegal. Simple as that.

It actually says it's unenforceable. They already understand that. This is a triggered law, when if something else changes to allow it to go into effect, *then* in snaps into effect. Republicans did the same thing with anti-abortion legislation that took effect if (and now when) Roe V Wade was overturned.

Not illegal. Just feckless. For now, anyway.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It actually says it's unenforceable. They already understand that. This is a triggered law, when if something else changes to allow it to go into effect, *then* in snaps into effect. Republicans did the same thing with anti-abortion legislation that took effect if (and now when) Roe V Wade was overturned.

Well I sure don't have a feck to give them.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Don't feel alone Indy, SB pulls the same stunts.
    It is the Democrat way.
    iu

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Yep, this is what I was expecting and mentioned up thread, but without the right terminology (trigger law).

Just what a politician lives to do... Nothing but make it look like they did.

Top Bottom