• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SteveG66

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Going Pheasant hunting in North Dakota with a group of friends next week. I had only been pheasant hunting once before, I wore boots that didnt quite work out that well as they werent comfortable. Starting from scratch now.

We'll be doing a lot of walking from what my friend told me, I need something comfortable and reasonably cushioned to help protect my bad knee.

Any suggestions as to what brand and actual boot I should look for? I know there is Gander Mountain and Dicks in Indy area, anywhere else I should be looking?

What are considered upland boots? Do I need thinsulate, if so what weight?

Again, thanks for any suggestions and advice.

Steve G

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Gander Greenwood has some called "upland" I think Irish Setter brand but? I would just get a good fit soft leather boot, waterproof them even if they claim waterproof, I have also found that wearing 2 pairs of socks wears the feet out fast, I have no clue why? I would not over think the boot thing, I see alot of people say this before big foot hunts, I think it is more of most people are not conditioned to walk over plowed ground, stumps, corn stubble, hills, rocks etc. This type of walking is rough but worth it:)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Waterproof and breathable. While you are at it consider a pair of gaiters. No snow up there right now but if there was you would want something on your lower legs. I have also found muck boots to be comfortable and good for general purpose work and hunting.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    When you're trying things on, keep in mind the weight of the boots.

You're going to be walking a LONG way. The heavier your boot, the heavier it'll feel as the day goes along.

This is how I know that my Rockey brand aggressive-tread insulated steel-toed boots do NOT make excellent all-day hiking footwear.

-J-

SteveG66

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Thanks for the replies, it is greatly appreciated.

Ended up picking up some 600 gr thinsulate Irish Setters from Dicks. They seem very comfortable as I trek around the house. I know that isn't a representation of the outdoors, but half the battle is being comfortable and easy to wear for me.

Is 600 gr too much? Supposed to be 30-50's in ND next week.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    600gr is good, just adjust with your socks. You will be moving and warm.

In ND it is all about the wind baby, all about the wind. Have layers and flexible gear for your feet, hands, head/neck. Like a neck gaiter etc...

Where in ND are you going?

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    The best advice I got with boots was to never take advice on boots....LOL. Seriously, what he meant was plan at least an hour to try on all pairs and walk around the store, up and down the imitation rock incline and decline to see what's right for your feet. For me, it was a pair of Merrils. I used to be a boot cheapskate but as of now these Merrill's have lasted me past the multiple purchase of cheap boots to the point that in a couple months it will have proved cheaper to buy these than my former cheap boots, and my feat have enjoyed it this way much more.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I recently bought some Danner boots for a moose hunt trip to Canada. Have been wearing them to deer hunt since. These were the most comfortable boots I've ever had right out of the box. Didn't break them in a bit, and they feel great. Made in the USA to boot (pun :D).

SteveG66

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Well, Got back from ND on Friday. Experienced some crazy weather: 40 mph winds, 60mph gusts. Temperature in the 20-30's with snow and sleet.

The boots, Irish Setter 600 gr thinsulates held up great. My feet were comfortable through all the walking we did; through snow, puddles, and dry ground.

My feet didnt get cold until late in the day with 19 degree weather to start out. The warmest it got out there was 28 while hunting. The only reason my feet got cold was when we stopped to take a break.

Thanks to you all for your advice, it was greatly appreciated.

Steve G

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    ... and how was the bird hunting? I hunt Iowa/Kansas/Nebreaska, haven't been to ND for pheasant in years. Where were you hunting?

SteveG66

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    6birds,

We were hunting Pheasants 1 hour south of Minot. The hunting was tough as opening day was October 9, we didnt start until the 26th hunting PLOT land. The birds were wary and jumped pretty early. Often times running ahead and flushing too far away for a shot. We found the greatest concentration of birds in the cattails, which was too deep to try to wade through.

The weather was horrible, windy sleety and cold on Tuesday, 40 mph snowy winds on wednesday, and just cold on Thursday (18 degrees) in the morning.

We got a few shots, I dropped one in the cattails but was unable to recover it, he dogs couldnt find it either.

Although the group got skunked hunting, we had a great time and got to spend some time with a great group of guys.

Steve

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Although the group got skunked hunting, we had a great time and got to spend some time with a great group of guys.

Steve

Well, God bless you for knowing what's important. The thin years make the good years special, you'll get them next year!

The last time we hit weather like that in Iowa, we switched to steel and shot ducks all week.

Top Bottom