• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I'd really like to go, but I have a previous commitment this weekend. Maybe I'll be able to make the next class.

Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    For those that went this weekend, how was the course? I am thinking of attending in Sept.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    It was wet

It was cold

It was awesome!

Seriously, it was a very good class. Know that it is intended for any experience level so there is some basic stuff in it. However those basics still help refresh your gun handling and safety skills. Sheriff Campbell is a great speaker and a very good teacher. Plus, it is dirt cheap.

JPY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Muncie
    This is the course I wanted to take. Unfortunately, my LTCH just showed up this week, so i was unable to plan enough in advance to get there this weekend. I wish we didn't have to wait until September for the next course. When's the lady's class he's doing? I can grow my hair out and wear a pushup for my moobs.

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    Sheriff Campbell is a great speaker and a very good teacher

I will second that. It has been I think 4 years since I took the Gunsite off-site 3-day course with Sheriff Ken at the helm. That course for the spring is coming up May15-17 and I was hoping to go but just lost my job so probably won't be able to pull it off.

Great fun and great learning, even for the experienced, but for the new as well.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    2-day class, Saturday and Sunday, 8 hours each.

Half a day in the classroom, the rest was spent on the range (rain or shine).

We learned (in no particular order and emphasis):

Safety
    Defensive shooting at 3 and 6 yards
    Drawing and presentation
    Weaver stance
    Getting a sight picture
    Staying focused on the front sight ("Gun fight ... FRONT SIGHT!")
    Breaking tunnel vision (i.e., after you've put two rounds in your target, look around for more miscreants)
    Tactical reloads
    Speed reloads
    Failure drills (Mozambiques)
    Hammers (two rapid shots)
    Clearing malfunctions
    The fighting mindset

Everything was presented from the perspective of defensive fighting. When explaining what to do if your revolver goes click (there were two or three wheelgunners in the class), the Sheriff said that if your revolver goes click and it's an ammo problem, pull the trigger again (obviously). If you go click-click-click and you know you loaded live rounds, meaning your revolver has malfunctioned, then he said, "You've got a club (your revolver). You've got an ink pen. You've got your fingernails. STAY IN THE FIGHT!"

I would recommend this class to just about anyone.

ML ll THUMBHOLE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    PLAINFIELD,IN

Safety
    Drawing and presentation
    Weaver stance
    Getting a sight picture
    Breaking tunnel vision (i.e., after you've put two rounds in your target, look around for more miscreants)
    Tactical reloads
    Speed reloads
    Clearing malfunctions
    The fighting mindset

Everything was presented from the perspective of defensive fighting. When explaining what to do if your revolver goes click (there were two or three wheelgunners in the class), the Sheriff said that if your revolver goes click and it's an ammo problem, pull the trigger again (obviously). If you go click-click-click and you know you loaded live rounds, meaning your revolver has malfunctioned, then he said, "You've got a club (your revolver). You've got an ink pen. You've got your fingernails. STAY IN THE FIGHT!"

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST? And what all should one bring?

rkba_net

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    I love taking classes in the rain, cold, heat and snow... not all shootouts occur in good weather...

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The cost of this particular class was $175 ($50 down and $125 at the class).

Required equipment included:

a pistol that was not a .22, .25, or .32; revolvers are quite welcome; .380 was the smallest gun I saw anybody shooting and that was a Sig ... I would recommend against bringing your pocket .380

400 rounds of range ammo (no restrictions as to case, i.e., brass, steel, or aluminum were OK); we actually shot about 350 rounds I think

a holster that stays open when you draw so that you can reholster one-handed

a belt that holds your holster firmly in place

three magazines (I recommend four at least; if your mag capacity is ten or less I recommend six or seven; you don't want to spend every break from shooting loading mags if you want to have time to run to the bathroom once in a while; I only had three thirteen round mags and spent nearly every break on Sunday frantically reloading)

a mag carrier or a good opposite-side pocket from which you can exchange mags while not looking

your own eye and ear protection

a hat suitable for the time of year

foul weather gear suitable for the time of year

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Good write up. Thanks!

Safety
    Drawing and presentation
    Weaver stance
    Getting a sight picture
    Tactical reloads
    Speed reloads
    Clearing malfunctions
    The fighting mindset

Top Bottom