Body work experts.... should I start window shopping for a new car?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    That car isn't hurt at all. Just some cosmetic boo boos. I've worked on hundreds of Hondas. Plastic absorbs the impact instead of the humans.
    You're good.
    My opinion is based on working in body shops since 1962. The car isn't hurt.
    Allen is 'da man. His shop is top notch and does excellent work.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    IF you have no doubt it's her fault and will be determined that way then by all means turn it into your ins. co. The only reason I wouldn't turn it in is IF I'd had a few recent claims.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I don't want my insurance ot pay anything out so that my insurance would go up. With my Jeep as a back up vehicle, I got a vehicle to get around until they do their stuff and determine fault.

that's not how insurance works. If she is found at fault, nothing will be paid by your insurance in the end. Go talk to your insurance.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    that's not how insurance works. If she is found at fault, nothing will be paid by your insurance in the end. Go talk to your insurance.
    This. You can work with your insurance to get the car repaired and then your insurance company will go after her insurance company for the reimbursement. I've done this several times. I simply pay my deductible, get the repair done and then get the deductible back when the insurance companies settle up. These type of claims do not count against you unless you are determined to be at fault. Your insurance company will also fight that battle for you as well.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I went threw a car wreck back in January. It was the gals fault. She had no insurance. The damage was within a few hundred bucks of the value of the car. They wanted to fix it. I had the option to fix or take the money and use it to buy another car. I took the ladder.

I also had uninsured motorist. Smart move!! I was told I might have to show in court someday. I was informed the wreck would not change my insurance cost. So far it hasn't. My rates have actually went down. Not up. If you have full coverage your insurance will fix your car and pay for it (less the deductible). And if there are liability( who's at fault) that can be settled in court and between the insurance companies. It was pretty painless all things considered. It was maybe 3 weeks till I got my check.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    The adjuster for the other insurance looked at the car yesterday, his estimate was 4300 in damage. So since it isn't totaled (which I didn't think it was to start), once it is fixed, I may sell it or trade it in on a 2015 or 2016 Nissan Rogue. Will be calling the claim person in the morning to see if fault has been determined yet. Can't see why not four days after. Then I will get a rental.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Does it usually take a business week to determine liability. I mean, it shouldn't be too hard, I was in the left lane of a one way street just continually going straight. The other person was in the right lane. She either was turning onto a intersecting street turning left or merging into my lane. It shouldn't be too hard. At least I have a rental car now. Jeep was okay but not comfortable. Still isn't like my Accord with satellite radio and other features.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Did you talk to your insurance yet? They will say it's her fault, then fight with her insurance until they give in. It doesn't happen overnight hence the reason I told you to go to your insurance first.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I agree with the experts already posted. It was not hit hard enough to push the hood over the drivers side fender, or enough flex to break the windshield or pull the doors out of alignment. That does not look like a mechanical total. I would let the estimator determine economic realities.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Allen is 'da man. His shop is top notch and does excellent work.

Agreed, might be a bit of a hike for you, but Diamond Collision is the place to go. I did not hesitate at all last time I had some damage to be fixed. Told the tow truck driver to take it to Diamond, and he immediately responded with "Good choice."

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    The fight is no longer if it is totaled (it is 99.9% not) or where it will go to be fixed (it is already at that shop) but now in the hands of the insurance company on determining liability. I am going to be calling every Monday, Wednesday and Friday until they say the other person was at fault.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Have you obtained a copy of the police report? The one accident I was involved in, had the info in the police report.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    dude your spending to much of your time on this. Your insurance will take care of all the details. If it happened in the city, the police report will be available at the THPD office on Wabash. costs $8. The insurance will get a copy if you want it.

but I'm telling you, let your insurance handle it. quick calling and checking on the status every other day, and just tell them you want it fixed, and get that started now. Otherwise the darn thing will sit.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    So the insurance company for the car that hit me last Monday finally determined fault. It wasn't a "we're at fault", but only 90% liable. Sorry, not going to accept that I am 10% liable for your client turning left from the right lane of a one way street when I was in the left lane. Redoing everything I had already done, but at least at the local level my insurance company says in no way it should be any liability on me. I guess I should have gone through mine at first, but I figured it was a clear cut case of liability since it isn't legal to make a left turn from the right lane of a two lane, one way street.

Top Bottom