• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    If you like Bimmers, this CNBC documentary is likely for you. It will be on again Sunday night at 2100 and again on Weds at 2000. Until I bought mine (used 2007 328 coupe) this past March, I thought BMW was just hype. It is the "Ultimate Driving Machine," at least the ultimate that I can afford!

Read more: News Headlines

BMW: A Driving Obsession - CNBC

Last edited by a moderator:

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    My first car was a 72 Mach 1 Mustang - man she was one sweet ride...

I now drive a 2005 Honda Civic :(

I love BMW but too much $ for me...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    My first car was a 72 Mach 1 Mustang - man she was one sweet ride...

I now drive a 2005 Honda Civic :(

The sad thing about it is that I decided on BMW the last time I went to a GM lot.

I used to get excited when I went to the GM lot, they had lots of exciting cars. Now they don't have squat, and what they do have is outrageous...

You want a nice family sedan? You're going to end up with a Buick... and it's going to cost you $45,000 for the base model Buick... :xmad:

I'll just get a BMW for that kind of money... GM has lost me... They're catering to the older generation that are 100% stuck on "Buy American" even though the Big 3 aren't really much more American than their competitors... That's fine, if I'm not their intended market then I'll just take my money elsewhere.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I need to sell my '96 328, but I can't bring myself to get rid of it. It just feels right to drive it. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit my lifestyle (dogs, mountain biking, etc.) any longer.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne

Surprisingly they are quiet affordable used, though you have to buy a couple of year older model. An example, 98-2000 5 series can easily be found now for around $5K. Sound like a lot for a 98? Maybe except that you have to remember that this car listed for $50K+ in 98 and probably was babied the whole time the first owner had it. Second owner probably dropped $20K or more on it and took good care of it, now it's yours for $5K, yeah it has 175K miles on it, but bimmer engines run forever, 300K is not uncommon... The E39 was car of the year for like 5 years running at that time, that should say something about it. I've had my 540i (5 series 4.4L engine) for 4 years now, very little maintenance has been needed beyond the normal oil changes and tires, 50K of some of the best driving/riding I've ever had and 24-28 MPG the whole time.

And just in case you ever wondered, a 328 is a 3 series with a 2.8L engine, 528 is a 5 series car with a 2.8L, 740 is a seven series car with a 4.4L... why they are not called 744 I don't know, just the way it is :)

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    I just got done watching this. Really makes me LOVE my BMW even more. Great show. I like their attention to detail.
    As a fellow Bimmer owner, I was hoping you'd see the thread and get a chance to watch the program.

Surprisingly they are quiet affordable used, though you have to buy a couple of year older model. An example, 98-2000 5 series can easily be found now for around $5K. Sound like a lot for a 98? Maybe except that you have to remember that this car listed for $50K+ in 98 and probably was babied the whole time the first owner had it. Second owner probably dropped $20K or more on it and took good care of it, now it's yours for $5K, yeah it has 175K miles on it, but bimmer engines run forever, 300K is not uncommon... The E39 was car of the year for like 5 years running at that time, that should say something about it. I've had my 540i (5 series 4.4L engine) for 4 years now, very little maintenance has been needed beyond the normal oil changes and tires, 50K of some of the best driving/riding I've ever had and 24-28 MPG the whole time.

And just in case you ever wondered, a 328 is a 3 series with a 2.8L engine, 528 is a 5 series car with a 2.8L, 740 is a seven series car with a 4.4L... why they are not called 744 I don't know, just the way it is :)

I bought mine from Dreyer-Reinbold; it was a "BMW Certified Pre-Owned," and I paid $23k. At 51, I now wish I would have put aside my belief that they were only for status-seeking rich folk. I had no idea what I was missing! If you enjoy performance-oriented driving, I strongly encourage you to take one for a test drive the next time you are in the market for a new or used sport sedan or coupe.:rockwoot:

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I've worked on many European cars, and BMW's never disappoint. Built to last, great attention to detail , and they drive like nothing else at their price point.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    You want a nice family sedan? You're going to end up with a Buick... and it's going to cost you $45,000 for the base model Buick... :xmad:

:dunno:
    New 2011, 2012 Buick Car Models - Yahoo! Autos

Everything starts in the under $30k except Enclave. This is list price and no one pays list price. This doesn't include rebates if available.
    If you don't want a Buick or Gm that is fine but try to keep the facts straight.

If you think Buicks are expensive check this out.

New 2011, 2012 BMW Car Models - Yahoo! Autos

By the way I ride a BMW motorcycle and love their cars. I am a GM retiree and will support the company that supported me and my family. So I will never own a BMW car but still appreciate what they are.(I like Audi's also;))

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    :dunno:
    New 2011, 2012 Buick Car Models - Yahoo! Autos

Everything starts in the under $30k except Enclave. This is list price and no one pays list price. This doesn't include rebates if available.
    If you don't want a Buick or Gm that is fine but try to keep the facts straight.

If you think Buicks are expensive check this out.

New 2011, 2012 BMW Car Models - Yahoo! Autos

By the way I ride a BMW motorcycle and love their cars. I am a GM retiree and will support the company that supported me and my family. So I will never own a BMW car but still appreciate what they are.(I like Audi's also;))
    I figured out that you were a big3 employee or retiree before the 2nd sentence. I apologize that my facts were off, but go take a walk around a GM lot. You aren't going to get a nice looking car with all the luxuries for less than $35k. I walked the lot looking for just one Buick LaCross that came in less than that and couldn't find one... And the Buick is only mediocre in the looks department, average in luxury, and crappy in suspension and handling... A person could get a BMW for less than a Buick Lacross if they went for a lower model without all the bell and whistles.

BTW, I drive a Buick... just wouldn't ever buy another one...

Top Bottom