Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Wait, the borough president didn't want the Guard as relief workers he wanted them a supplementary police? I agree Bloomberg has more than a touch of hoplophobia but is policing civilians really something the Guard ought to be doing?

The article even states the Guard has been allowed into other areas of the city to aid recovery efforts.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Thankfully, the National Guard isn't under the control of the Mayor, but rather the Governor.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Wait, the borough president didn't want the Guard as relief workers he wanted them a supplementary police? I agree Bloomberg has more than a touch of hoplophobia but is policing civilians really something the Guard ought to be doing?

The article even states the Guard has been allowed into other areas of the city to aid recovery efforts.

I would think they aren't just there as water dispensers and candy machines.

We have a member who served (I think it was a Guard unit, but can't be certain) in NO after Katrina. Hopefully he'll chime in and give an account of his duties.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I would be willing to take a week or two off and join a group on a trip to NY or NJ to help them out, but I won't go there simply because I cannot carry my pistol for personal protection. That's too bad because there a lot of good things I could do.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I would think they aren't just there as water dispensers and candy machines.

We have a member who served (I think it was a Guard unit, but can't be certain) in NO after Katrina. Hopefully he'll chime in and give an account of his duties.

From the ones that I know that have responded to disasters (Im still in, Active though), they do the water, food distribution, as well as help moving debris, however the weapons are for along the lines of self defense and the saving of live, limb, eye sight. As in, if they see someone beating beaten to death, then they can act, however they aren't trying to catch every shoplifter. Not sure on all the particulars, as I hadn't been on any of these, but I do know what I have done overseas on Peacekeeping missions, so from what Ive heard from others, and what Ive done, thats what I would be thinking they were for.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    From the ones that I know that have responded to disasters (Im still in, Active though), they do the water, food distribution, as well as help moving debris, however the weapons are for along the lines of self defense and the saving of live, limb, eye sight. As in, if they see someone beating beaten to death, then they can act, however they aren't trying to catch every shoplifter. Not sure on all the particulars, as I hadn't been on any of these, but I do know what I have done overseas on Peacekeeping missions, so from what Ive heard from others, and what Ive done, thats what I would be thinking they were for.

I didn't mean to imply that they were dispatched on 9-1-1 calls. But they aren't sitting idly twiddling their thumbs if there's no one to receive the basics.

They may not be actively looking for crimes in progress and/or criminals, but they sure as heck step up to the plate if/when it's happening.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...n/53613-my_no_story_in_pics_some_graphic.html

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I never meant to say that Guard units didn't have firearms for a reason or should be considered the Red Cross in camo. I took the article though to mean the borough president wanted Guardsmen to act like police, walking a beat and fighting looters. I don't think soldiers should be policing American streets, no matter what branch they belong to or who they take orders from. Even if they did go in, how do you tie the soldier-police in with the existing 5-0? Chains of command, communication systems, rules of engagement, jurisdictions all would need to be worked out and communicated to the rank and file of both forces and that takes time.
    I didn't mean to imply that they were dispatched on 9-1-1 calls. But they aren't sitting idly twiddling their thumbs if there's no one to receive the basics.

They may not be actively looking for crimes in progress and/or criminals, but they sure as heck step up to the plate if/when it's happening.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...n/53613-my_no_story_in_pics_some_graphic.html

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you meant it either. I was just covering all the bases. My bad on that, I guess I over stated it for others later in case someone else would ask, or comment.
    Also, thanks for the link. I had seen some of the photos, none of his that he had posted, but some along very similar lines. I was stationed on Fort Hood at the time it had happened, we were told to be expecting refugees and had already pre positioned tents, cots, food, etc if they came. Then we heard about hotels on the way that were allowing people to stay from the storm. We though, thats awesome, until they were showing us photos of people just trashing the place. I mean people with a fire in the bathtub??? People just messing on the floor of a hotel room??? Really? there is a bathroom with a toilet less then 10 feet away!!! just some of the damages that they took, holes in the wall, tvs stolen. Seeing those photos reminded me of the other ones.
    On a side note, I have heard from friends of mine in the NJ/NY area, things are still getting better. rationing is going along. some people that lived in denial are still acting stupid and there are some incidents happening there. My friends were all "smart" enough to have gotten gas and food before it hit, so they were all doing good. One has damage to the house and has bailed most the water the house took on. But, for the most part, my friends are all doing good.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I never meant to say that Guard units didn't have firearms for a reason or should be considered the Red Cross in camo. I took the article though to mean the borough president wanted Guardsmen to act like police, walking a beat and fighting looters. I don't think soldiers should be policing American streets, no matter what branch they belong to or who they take orders from. Even if they did go in, how do you tie the soldier-police in with the existing 5-0? Chains of command, communication systems, rules of engagement, jurisdictions all would need to be worked out and communicated to the rank and file of both forces and that takes time.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you meant it either. I was just covering all the bases. My bad on that, I guess I over stated it for others later in case someone else would ask, or comment.
    Also, thanks for the link. I had seen some of the photos, none of his that he had posted, but some along very similar lines. I was stationed on Fort Hood at the time it had happened, we were told to be expecting refugees and had already pre positioned tents, cots, food, etc if they came. Then we heard about hotels on the way that were allowing people to stay from the storm. We though, thats awesome, until they were showing us photos of people just trashing the place. I mean people with a fire in the bathtub??? People just messing on the floor of a hotel room??? Really? there is a bathroom with a toilet less then 10 feet away!!! just some of the damages that they took, holes in the wall, tvs stolen. Seeing those photos reminded me of the other ones.
    On a side note, I have heard from friends of mine in the NJ/NY area, things are still getting better. rationing is going along. some people that lived in denial are still acting stupid and there are some incidents happening there. My friends were all "smart" enough to have gotten gas and food before it hit, so they were all doing good. One has damage to the house and has bailed most the water the house took on. But, for the most part, my friends are all doing good.

No worries, gentlemen.

Bubba, I understand your concern. I guess what I was saying is that I don't mind the Guard taking on some police powers as necessary, though I agree, it's not a good idea to blur the line too much. I guess where we draw that line is up for debate, and probably dependent on local situation.

Repeter, I just wanted to clarify my position. I didn't know what you might have assumed from it, so I didn't want to leave it open to interpretation.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    No worries, gentlemen.

Bubba, I understand your concern. I guess what I was saying is that I don't mind the Guard taking on some police powers as necessary, though I agree, it's not a good idea to blur the line too much. I guess where we draw that line is up for debate, and probably dependent on local situation.

Repeter, I just wanted to clarify my position. I didn't know what you might have assumed from it, so I didn't want to leave it open to interpretation.

Too easy, we are good to go. :rockwoot:
    As for NYC, I think the mayor there cares less then nothing about his "people" there. Most can at least fake care enough for votes, but I think he actively hates the people who keep voting him in. You know what they say, you deserve the person you elect. Glad Im not in the area anymore.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I did a deployment for JTF-6, where active military deploys to assist Border Patrol. Anyone that we stopped, we held and turned over to BP. I would figure that if the National Guard caught someone, it would be the same thing. Typically they have a very set mission, like enforcing a curfew or security for a building during an emergency situation.

There are also agreements in place for out of state officers to be sworn in and assist. Task Force (whatever district number, we are 1), provides firemen, medics, and police to go from one state to the other for logistical and security support. The locals will still do all of their 'routine' stuff, but the imports will do search and rescue, riot control, corpse recovery, as well as assist in administration and site security.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

how do you tie in police brought in from other districts? or the state police? In Indiana the Guard has statewide 800 Mhz trunked radios just as the police do.

And if the Guard has military police then they are trained to enforce the law. The Guard is not the same as federal military as they are part of the state militia which does have police powers.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If I am reading this article right Bloomberg's main objection to letting the National Guard into Brooklyn is their weapons...He stated that the only people he wanted in NYC with weapons was the NYPD...This guy hates, soda, tobacco, and guns with a passion that's borderline insane....

Thursday Report: Bloomberg Wouldn't Let Guard Into Brooklyn Over Their Possession of Guns | NewsBusters.org

Bloomberg has bigger problems than armed National Guard. He has the citizens arming themselves and setting up vigilantism due to the lawless nature of the situation. People are losing faith in government out there.

Residents arm selves with bats and machetes to protect homes from Sandy looters - NYPOST.com
    Hurricane Sandy: Misery for 2.5 million STILL without power after six days as lawlessness and fear take over | Mail Online
    Queens residents arm themselves in the post-storm blackout from looters - NY Daily News

Top Bottom