• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Today is the anniversary of the Blizzard of 1978. 33 years ago, wow - time flies! 20" of snow fell on Indy, and more up north. Where were you during the blizzard of 1978?

I was a student at ISU. The snow started to fall during a basketball game (Larry Bird days). By the time the game was over, there was over 5 inches on snow on the ground. Campus was closed the next day! :D

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I had fortunately purchased my first snowmobile just a couple of months before the blizzard hit. It was great, the workplace closed for a week, no cars on the roads, so it was like a week of snowmobile heaven. The LPD asked those who had snowmobiles to deliver groceries, etc. to people in the country and they (the LPD) even supplied the gas for our sleds and fed us.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I was 12 liveing in the boonys of northern Indiana. If I remember correctly we did not have school for 3 weeks couldnt get the car out for atleast a week after that. My stepdad had to ride on the back of the neighbor's snowmobile for groceries.
    We could walk up the snow drift onto the house roof.This was the front of the house which is where the cars were parked.

Dr_O

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    I was 23. Spent the night on a concrete floor at work.
    Wife was at home alone with newborn twins and a 3 yr old.

Got a ride to within 3 blocks of home, walked the rest.

THAT was a snow storm.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I spent time in the upstate New York area off the the lake. 20 inches off the lake in a night with real high winds like OUR Blizzard happens at least once a year.

It was cool building cave into snow banks off the driveway and having major snowball fights.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Home with the parental units. Digging tunnels and snow forts. Snowmobile came and got mom and took her into work, nursing home. Neighbor worked for a big plant and the factories roof collapsed so they came and got him out to go in, was some big wig there I guess. Dad shoveled the drive and the road to the corner where the road was clear from picking up the neighbor. I think we were snowed in 3 or 4 days only because of the circumstances. No school for a week or more, don't remember for sure.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I was 9 years old and remember me and some friends jumping off of a second floor porch into the drifts. Man, the stupid things one does in his youth.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I was 12 and had the only mode of transportation that would work at the time, I rode my 4H horse to go get grocery's for people and remember how neat it was to just walk over the top of the fences on snow drifts so I didn't have to walk to the gate to go out back to feed the dogs.

I don't remember any panic or major problems. People out in the country were able to pretty much take care of themselves and a week of melting snow to flush the toilets and such

I'm almost sure I survived.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I remember barely making it home from work that night with my old 2wd Volvo(thank God for lotso ground clearance). I couldn't see where the sides of the road were..just tried to keep her moving and in between the poles. The roads were deserted but for me...not even plows.
    We had just bought a house and the daughter was about2~3 y/o at home with the wife, and I felt I needed to be there with them. Next two days were spent shoveling out, and riding shotgun with the guys who had serious 4wds delivering groceries and supplies to the neighborhood.
    Finally had some fun pulling the young'un on the sled behind the dirtbike, after the shoveling out ....she loved the snow roost! :yesway:

hip shot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Was a student at IU walked to big red for bottle of burbon and called up GF........................ :popcorn:

Top Bottom