• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Been thinking about a griddle type grill lately and looking at Blackstones but there seems to be a lot of used ones out there. Are they worth it? Is there an inherent problem with them? I love griddle cooking outside because there's less mess to clean up. Some of the best food we've ever had was cooked outside on our tiny little Thermos brand Fire and Ice grill.

1663362741470.png

It's meant more for camping and has a very limited cooking area and due to the compactness of everything and the smallish burner it doesn't take much to keep it from heating up sufficiently if the wind is blowing.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I know it's not directly what you are asking about but I have the small electric Blackstone griddle and I use it several times per day, almost every single day. It has been great.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I have a brother-in-law that has one and he loves it. He cooked for us once and I was impressed with it. I don't have one because we rarely entertain, so no real reason to have a giant griddle.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have a brother-in-law that has one and he loves it. He cooked for us once and I was impressed with it. I don't have one because we rarely entertain, so no real reason to have a giant griddle.
    I assume they're propane-fueled? There have been several times that I wished I had a griddle in the kitchen for making multiple grilled sammiches like Reubens, or maybe a batch of French toast or pancakes for the grand kids. I could probably get by with an electric griddle for that, but I just don't have a lot of counter space or storage space for one.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I assume they're propane-fueled? There have been several times that I wished I had a griddle in the kitchen for making multiple grilled sammiches like Reubens, or maybe a batch of French toast or pancakes for the grand kids. I could probably get by with an electric griddle for that, but I just don't have a lot of counter space or storage space for one.
    Yes, propane. Imagine something just like a gas grill like you normally use outside, but the cooking surface is a flat griddle instead of a grill.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yes, propane. Imagine something just like a gas grill like you normally use outside, but the cooking surface is a flat griddle instead of a grill.
    Thanks! I've seen the commercials for them, but didn't pay close enough attention to how they were fueled (propane vs. pellets, etc.). When I worked for TGI Fridays, we would have called that a "flat top".

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Used one to cook on just this week. A friend of mine has one he packs in his camper.
    I grilled up potatoes and onions and zucchini wheels. Just a little oil on it and seasoning and things brown up nicely.
    My friend did smash burgers last night and they were fantastic.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Actually you can also get a version in electric. But they are $329, lol
    The kids have a propane version and enjoy it.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I’ve got a 4 burner cabelas brand and I love it. Best money I’ve spent in a long time. Also since all the heat of cooking is outside it’s really helped the AC in the evenings this summer, not to mention how easy cleanup is.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Wait, you can do that? Just take food to your neighbors and make them cook for you? I think I need better neighbors. :):
    Yes. Yes, i can. They also bring me stuff to smoke on the big green egg (that belongs to my grandpa but lives at my house).

During 2020 when you couldn't do anything else, we'd hang out in their garage bar almost daily. Now, it's once or twice a week but still a good time! Pic is from when we lost power in the neighborhood, so we turned on all of the battery lights and kept drinking!

imagejpeg_2.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yes. Yes, i can. They also bring me stuff to smoke on the big green egg (that belongs to my grandpa but lives at my house).

During 2020 when you couldn't do anything else, we'd hang out in their garage bar almost daily. Now, it's once or twice a week but still a good time! Pic is from when we lost power in the neighborhood, so we turned on all of the battery lights and kept drinking!

View attachment 224610
    iu

I've basically got "The Waltons" on one side (excellent people) and a couple on the other side that I get along with, but DoggyMama doesn't like the wife because of a conflict that happened shortly after we moved in in 2006. It was silly. But she (the next door wife) can be kinda bitchy. But so can DoggyMama. :lmfao:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Been thinking about a griddle type grill lately and looking at Blackstones but there seems to be a lot of used ones out there. Are they worth it? Is there an inherent problem with them? I love griddle cooking outside because there's less mess to clean up. Some of the best food we've ever had was cooked outside on our tiny little Thermos brand Fire and Ice grill.

View attachment 224596

It's meant more for camping and has a very limited cooking area and due to the compactness of everything and the smallish burner it doesn't take much to keep it from heating up sufficiently if the wind is blowing.
    Here you go.
    Small one is a Blackstone (225 sq/ in), the larger is a Flatiron(775sq/ in)
    I would rate them as equal in quality.
    Both propane.
    Are they worth the money?
    A definitive YES!

I bought both of mine a few years ago, and prices have risen.
    The small Blackstone now runs about $129.
    The larger Flatiron is now about $350.

The small Blackstone has a single burner.
    It cooks well, but can struggle in high winds.
    The larger Flatiron has 4 independent burners and it doesn't struggle at all.
    I can cook steaks at high temp, hash browns at medium temp, and eggs at low temp, all at the same time, on the same griddle.

I still think the two are some of the best purchases I've ever made.

Attachments

• IMG_20220916_183809368_HDR.jpg
      IMG_20220916_183809368_HDR.jpg
      216.7 KB · Views: 12
    • IMG_20220916_184153561.jpg
      IMG_20220916_184153561.jpg
      397.1 KB · Views: 12

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    They're definitely worth it. I have the 36" Blackstone. Use it a lot. There's so much stuff you can do on it. I've seared steaks, made breakfast, made quesadillas, smash burgers, sausage peppers onions mushrooms, Chinese/Japanese rice, whole salmon filets, patty melts and probably other things I'm forgetting

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Here you go.
    Small one is a Blackstone (225 sq/ in), the larger is a Flatiron(775sq/ in)
    I would rate them as equal in quality.
    Both propane.
    Are they worth the money?
    A definitive YES!

I bought both of mine a few years ago, and prices have risen.
    The small Blackstone now runs about $129.
    The larger Flatiron is now about $350.

The small Blackstone has a single burner.
    It cooks well, but can struggle in high winds.
    The larger Flatiron has 4 independent burners and it doesn't struggle at all.
    I can cook steaks at high temp, hash browns at medium temp, and eggs at low temp, all at the same time, on the same griddle.

I still think the two are some of the best purchases I've ever made.
    I'd want the bigger one for sure. So how do you clean them? Do you use the old "griddle block" like back in the restaurant days?

Top Bottom