• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    As some folks requested, here is my review of the Blackstone outdoor griddle. MSRP is three hundred dollars, although select Walmarts are closing them out for between $100 and 175 of you can find the right one. I suggest using brickseek.com to get an idea of if any are marked down locally. However it is fallible so it never hurts to just drop by your local one and see.

I have owned it for going on two weeks now, and it has been used roughly around 20 times. Posting multiple pictures in a post is glitchy for me, hence the multi post format.

Here it sits in the process of warming up. As you can see there's ample shelf space on the sides and the body appears to be powder coated or some other form of high-strength black coating. Out of the box, the griddle top itself will be a dull gray, but I seasoned mine as you would cast-iron by bringing it to high heat and wiping it down with thin coats of canola oil. The griddle top appears to be cold rolled 3/16 of an inch carbon steel. As you can see it has developed a nice shiny black patina. I clean it the same way I would cast-iron, no harsh chemicals or soaps. Four independently controled stainless steel burners provide surprisingly even heat, although there are the expected cooler borders which I find to be a plus. I haven't gotten my hands on an IR thermometer to check surface temps, but they are commonly reported to top out between 500-550 degrees on this model.

fLSswf.jpg

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Tonight's meal was fajitas and some chicken breast seasoned with a ranch dressing packet for the kids who don't like fajitas. This picture shows the chicken breasts going on to sear and the peppers and onions starting to sauté. At this point, the griddle had been heating for approximately 8 to 10 minutes, and each chicken breast is preceded by a dollop of canola oil. I will also often use a round of butter to provide an oil that is more flavorful. The chicken breasts have been cooked to 144° in the sous vide, and then chilled slightly before going on the flattop.

UyqmDK.jpg

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    As you can you see, the grease catching system is a trough running across the front with a hole drilled in the end and a catch tray underneath. It looks like it should work well, but it doesn't really. There is a bump of metal on the underside of the trough just behind the hole try and stop the grease from running back up the underside of the trough, but it only works if the flow of grease is minimal. If there is more than a little bit running down the trough, such as when you were cleaning the griddle of water, it runs over the bump and then down the leg. I have mostly remedied this by sticking a piece of copper wire through the hole which extends into the drip tray. This solves the problem most of the time.

SiMD0N.jpg

However, if you run a significant amount of water and/or oil down it, it will still drip down the leg.
    MVBbou.jpg

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Here is the chicken breasts finishing up and onions and peppers starting to caramelize.

apoIKN.jpg

These are the basic accoutrements I use, Salt and pepper, butter, canola oil, and water. You can find the two pound roll of butter on manager special at Kroger pretty frequently.
    yAuQ44.jpg

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    As you can see it here, I am using a hot zone to seat the fajitas, and a cooler zone to finish off the peppers and onions. The temperature control on it is actually quite responsive, probably because the griddle top isn't immensely thick. It doesn't recover as quickly as a half or three-quarter inch top, but I don't really have any complaints about it as there is enough surface area that I generally always can have a hotspot.,

z3atWm.jpg

ZJoY0l.jpg

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Cut the heat, warm the tortillas and eat. BTW I cannot recommend the pictured hot sauce highly enough. It is made by founders brewery and is probably the best pepper sauce I've ever had. I believe it can be found at Meier.

fToq2J.jpg

l2gnpI.jpg

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    To clean up, I let it cool halfway and then hit it with some water and scrape with the edges my spatula. I then wipe it down with a paper towel and then lightly oil. It is at this point you have to be careful not to let the water and oil run down the leg.

KKfyPq.jpg

Here it is all cleaned up, clean up generally takes around four or five minutes. As I said above, I clean it just like one would cast-iron as I can't see any purpose in removing the seasoning every time.

TKNQFO.jpg

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    You cut your onions the wrong way.

Best fajita seasoning is "Bolner Fiesta Fajita Seasoning", soak the chicken in beer while the Disco warms up, throw it on and season the hell out of it with seasoning while slicing it, add onions and peppers, good to go.

Great write-up, looks fun to cook on, nice to take the mess and stink out of the kitchen and be able to cook for a lot of people.

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Final thoughts:

I have been very impressed with the griddle. Set up is really easy, it takes about 10 minutes and all you need is a number three Phillips screwdriver a 10 mm wrench and a 10 mm socket and ratchet. The locking casters lock up solidly and the hanger system for the propane is really nicely designed. The weak point is the grease catcher, although that can be fairly easily remedied and I intend to keep tinkering with it. So far, I have done a smash burgers, chicken breasts, fajitas, Southwest stirfry, shrimp, steaks, eggs and sausage, tons of sautéed peppers onions and mushrooms, and toasted buns and tortillas. Everything has been excellent and I would highly recommend one, especially at the markdown price point. Hope this was helpful and please post up any questions. Thanks.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    You cut your onions the wrong way.

Best fajita seasoning is "Bolner Fiesta Fajita Seasoning", soak the chicken in beer while the Disco warms up, throw it on and season the hell out of it with seasoning while slicing it, add onions and peppers, good to go.

Great write-up, looks fun to cook on, nice to take the mess and stink out of the kitchen and be able to cook for a lot of people.
    I cut my onions any of the three or so different ways depending on my mood, what do you consider to be the right way? I used my homeblend seasoning on this, where do you find the one you referenced?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Thanks for that, as I said, I’ve been interested in one of these, but the reviews online were less than stellar. I looked at the site you said, I can get it for $175 +$70 shipping, or $247on Amazon free shipping. I’m just gonna find the best deal on the stainless one I can and buy it.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I cut my onions any of the three or so different ways depending on my mood, what do you consider to be the right way?

[video=youtube;-tVSk881L9Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=-tVSk881L9Y[/video]

And, have you at least been tempted to practice your knife/spatula juggling skills with that awesome grill?

Top Bottom