• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Does anyone have any knowledge about the laws regarding black powder pistols...as in,can they be transported to and from the range without a permit?
    I know they can be shipped through the mail {without an FFL} and I know the BATF use to not put them in the same category as firearms...have the laws changed?:dunno: Thanks in advance.

Slow Hand

Master
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Far as I know, the federal gov't says that they are not firearms. Not sure what Indiana's laws are on the subject. No matter what the law says, you might get a cop that doesn't know the difference between a C&B revolver and a cartridge gun, let alone the laws pertaining to them. Too many laws, nobody can know them all!

Doug K

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    12" barrel... is that a single shot? I'd love to have a single shot BP pistol as backup to my rifle when deer hunting. They seem to be scarce these days. BTW - I asked a friend who is an ATF agent and they could care less about BP guns. So you just need to determine what laws Indiana has about them.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    12" barrel... is that a single shot? I'd love to have a single shot BP pistol as backup to my rifle when deer hunting. They seem to be scarce these days. BTW - I asked a friend who is an ATF agent and they could care less about BP guns. So you just need to determine what laws Indiana has about them.

not a single shot..its a 6 shot revolver made by traditions{I think:dunno:} its called the buffalo classic or something to that effect.{cost around $250} I just sent a couple emails off to the local city and county police departments..hopefully they will get back with me. no big deal really as Ill have my LTCH regardless, but I have a friend who wants a cap and ball revolver as well but he doesnt want to have to get his LTCH:dunno:
    deer hunting would be fun with one of these...wonder if you can use them in the regular muzzle loading season? Ill have to get my DNR reg book out and see if there is anything in there about that.

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I believe DNR regs require it be a single shot .50 cal (they may allow .45) but I do know we're limited to single-shots. I believe the reasoning is a single shot can be loaded much hotter than a revolver (more powder capacity). A typical .44 BP revolvers is similiar to a .38 Spl which isn't really enough to take a deer quickly.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Nov 2, 2008
    I believe DNR regs require it be a single shot .50 cal (they may allow .45) but I do know we're limited to single-shots. I believe the reasoning is a single shot can be loaded much hotter than a revolver (more powder capacity). A typical .44 BP revolvers is similiar to a .38 Spl which isn't really enough to take a deer quickly.

This is true. The single shots are functionally no different than a single shot rifle BP rifle.

The revolvers are NOT loaded through the muzzle, a requirement for muzzle loading deer season in Indiana. They don't have any case at all so it would be hard to meet the case length requirements concerning hand guns.

No licesne required to buy or carry them but I believe they still would be a violation for a felon to posess.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    oh well..Ive got other more capable firearms to take deer with. would be kinda neat to be able to take one with a bp pistol..maybe down the road Ill get an actual .50 cal ML pistol..I seen quit a few on the dixie gun works site. the revolver will more of a range toy and possible carry for when Im playin in the woods:dunno:

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    This is true. The single shots are functionally no different than a single shot rifle BP rifle.

The revolvers are NOT loaded through the muzzle, a requirement for muzzle loading deer season in Indiana. They don't have any case at all so it would be hard to meet the case length requirements concerning hand guns.

No licesne required to buy or carry them but I believe they still would be a violation for a felon to posess.
    Yes... I didn't ask about whether a felon could have one or not. I was just curious as to regulations.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Nov 2, 2008
    Yes... I didn't ask about whether a felon could have one or not. I was just curious as to regulations.

Sure I know you weren't asking that but that is usually the next questions some one will ask in threads about these.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I think Im going to go ahead and place an order for an 1858 "buffalo" with adjustable sights Friday:draw: next one on my list will be an 1858 "new army"stainless but that'll be after I get my dad the Walker .44 revolver,its gonna be a birthday present from my sisters and I. he has wanted one for some time now so we decided to pitch in and get him one.

n9iui

Marksman
    Sep 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't know about the regs now, but in the early 1980's black powder weapons didn't require a permit. I used to open carry a replica short barrel 1851 Navy Colt. I didn't have my license yet. Only five shots available though (one cylinder empty to let the hammer rest on). It was a real hoot to shoot too.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    For what its worth and in case anyone else asks the same question,I recieved a reply back from both the state and local emails I sent in the other day. this is is the reply from the local guys.

"according to the department firearms coordinator; you do not need a permit when carring black powder muzzle loaders."

and this is the reply from the state police email:

"You do not need a permit"

quick and to the point:dunno: guess that answers my question.

TheJoker

Expert
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Did a little googling for you and found this: Indiana Code TITLE 35, Article 47 Table of Contents probably the best way to get a correct understanding of the law.

Wow! Lots of interesting reading in there!! I've always thought that black powder revolvers were exempt based on the federal definition. But the document doesn't say anything about the fed's definition. It says:

IC 35-47-1-5
    "Firearm"
    Sec. 5. "Firearm" means any weapon:
    (1) that is:
    (A) capable of expelling; or
    (B) designed to expel; or
    (2) that may readily be converted to expel;
    a projectile by means of an explosion.
    <A name=IC35-47-1-5.5><A name=IC35-47-1-6>IC 35-47-1-6
    "Handgun"
    Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm:
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    (2) any firearm with:
    (A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or
    (B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.

Now, I'm not sure.

I didn't know this either:

IC 35-47-5-12
    "Chinese throwing star" defined; related offenses
    Sec. 12. (a) A person who:
    (1) manufactures;
    (2) causes to be manufactured;
    (3) imports into Indiana;
    (4) keeps for sale;
    (5) offers or exposes for sale; or
    (6) gives, lends, or possesses;
    a Chinese throwing star commits a Class C misdemeanor.
    (b) As used in this section, "Chinese throwing star" means a throwing-knife, throwing-iron, or other knife-like weapon with blades set at different angles.

Top Bottom