• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seancass

Master
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Well, i said i'd post a target pic, so here it is!

The .45 is on the left, .50 at the right. This was shot at 7 yards. At this kind of range, i had to account for wind, spin drift, curviture of the earth, and phase of the moon to get this good of groupings. I also shot the .50 at 25 yards, but i didn't lable the target and i think i also shot at it with other guns, so i didn't take a pic of it. Also, the triggers on these guns are pretty bad and i know it affected my shooting a lot. I think i'll look at polishing the internals up a bit.
    0523122112.jpg

scottka

Master
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Well guys, I've caught the bug... Just really started researching today. I've been looking at the Piettas. Right now, I'm leaning toward the 1858 New Army. Not sure which barrel length though. Any advice or input on the New Army? Also, if I'm ordering, what else should I get. I'm not exactly sure what I need. Powder, ball, caps I assume, but I don't know all of the specifics. Thanks.

canoeman

Plinker
    Apr 9, 2012
    I love the old blackpowder guns, I did French & Indian war re-enacting for 26 years. I have a few nice flintlocks from French smoothbores to a Jager my Father built for me.

canoeman

Plinker
    Apr 9, 2012
    Scottka, get revolver wads or grease the front of your chambers after you load... it prevents cross-fires. ( more than one chamber going off at once).

scottka

Master
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Thanks guys, does anyone have any suggestions for brands or places to buy powder, caps, balls, etc. Do I need a nipple wrench?

Uncle Lee

Marksman
    Jul 20, 2011
    Tell City
    Thanks guys, does anyone have any suggestions for brands or places to buy powder, caps, balls, etc. Do I need a nipple wrench?

Hello scottka,
    I think you should start off by going to this site and getting started from the bottom on up.
    Care and feeding of the blackpowder revolver:

Black Powder Primer

It tells you all you need to know on starting out having fun.
    Good Luck

indy1919a4

Master
    Jan 7, 2011
    An interesting Black Powder Hotchkiss Revolving Cannon

Came across this on the way to other things.. The Builder is a regular Black Powder cannon builder and I have seen his work and Own some of his work and he is one of the best....

An Interesting cannon, And where as it is not quite full size, it is Man portable..

Hotchkiss Revolving Cannon replica #2

Seancass

Master
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Came across this on the way to other things.. The Builder is a regular Black Powder cannon builder and I have seen his work and Own some of his work and he is one of the best....

An Interesting cannon, And where as it is not quite full size, it is Man portable..

Hotchkiss Revolving Cannon replica #2

Pretty awesome little gun! I'm sure if i made it, as soon as i got it shooting correctly, i'd be thinking "Dang, should have made it bigger!"

I'd really like to have a cannon, either golf ball or soup can size, but i don't have anywhere to shoot it!

indy1919a4

Master
    Jan 7, 2011
    Pretty awesome little gun! I'm sure if i made it, as soon as i got it shooting correctly, i'd be thinking "Dang, should have made it bigger!"

I'd really like to have a cannon, either golf ball or soup can size, but i don't have anywhere to shoot it!

I did the same thing, I thought it was neat, but would like it bigger.. (yeah like 50 cal is just not big enough :) ).. But then for it to be golf ball size you have to triple the size of the gun.. Now you are talking about moving 100s of pounds ...

The guy who is making that Hopkins Replica also made a 1/2 scale French 75mm gun replica. It shoots Golf Balls, It recoils, It is a work of art, But it does take a bit to move it.

SerereWarrior

Plinker
    Feb 18, 2012
    I've got a hankering for a black powder rifle. MidwayUSA has what appears to be a sweet firearm and is well reviewed. It's a CVA Buckhorn 209 magnum muzzleloading rifle in 50 caliber.

I'll bet some of you have one of these little shooters. Are they worth the money? It's cheap at $150.00 plus shipping straight to your door, no transfer to a FFL is required. Less hassle is always a good and fine thing.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    scottka - If you haven't found everything yet, try Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies.; anything and everything you need for BP shooting they have (& normally at fair prices). If you have the time, I would suggest a trip down there; play with all the different pistols (but take plenty of $$). 2 years ago I was looking for CnB guns for cowboy shooting, and really wanted the RNA (1858 Remingtons), but after handling them, did not like the fit in my hand. I went with a pair of 1860 Colt Armys (by Uberti), and they shoot like champs.

If you are planning on shooting them much, I would not get brass frames; the steel frames will stand up better to lots of shots.

Also, I don't use lube over the balls, too messy; I do use a lubed wad between podwer & ball, and by using .454 balls, they seal tight enough where you don't need to worry about 'chain fires'.

Good Luck, & Have FUN!!! -- Greg/Grizhicks

vedearduff

Marksman
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Well, I finally managed to get photos of three of my flintlocks.

First up is my First Model Long Land Musket (AKA Brown Bess).
    Bess.jpg

BessLockCloseUp.jpg

Next is my .50 caliber Longrifle.
    Longrifle.jpg

LongrifleLockCloseUp.jpg

Last is my .36 caliber Longrifle.
    SquirrelRifle.jpg

SquirrelRifleLockCloseUp.jpg

vedearduff

Marksman
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    vedearduff -- SUPER NICE; I really like the .36. Do you get to shoot them much? THANKS for posting the pics.... Greg/Grizhicks
    Greg,

Not as much as I'd like. I plan to head to Monroe Township tomorrow morning with the .36. I'm experimenting with diameter, I usually shoot .350 but I'm going to see what kind of accuracy I get with .345 and .340 round ball.

If things go as expected, I'll be ordering a mold in one or the other. I want to move to a ball/patch combination that lets me get away from the short starter.

I'll post some target photos if I make to the range.

aka-kesler

Plinker
    Aug 18, 2012
    Love the smokepole!!! I am a follower of the black powder sports!! Great people associated with the sport!! I own too many of these Liberty Teeth!! So I am told. These weapons are a huge part of our Heritage!! If not for our forefathers expertise of handling these weapons... we would not be a FREE country and enjoy all the rights we have now!! Just saying.. please dont forget these functional and sometimes beautiful weapons!!!

msuspartan

Plinker
    Jun 29, 2011
    Fishers
    If anyone is interested...
    The first weekend of each month, we shoot Traditional Blackpowder/Muzzleloader Shooting club at Hamilton County Fish and Game (google map it).
    We do a knife and tomahawk throw then Rifles then a pistol match.
    Cap n ball, replica and contemporary rifles and pistols are allowed, sorry-no inlines.
    If you are interested shoot me a PM.
    Would love to have you come a shoot with us.
    Cheers All.
    DonK

Top Bottom