• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • richardraw316

Master
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Wow, your entire response was full of things that I did not want to hear. Yes he has a felony conviction. He is a fellow pizza delivery driver and was thinking it might be a good idea to have something to protect him self with. 32 was smaller than I wanted , but in a bp revolver it would the lighter option for pocket carry. I was really hoping it could be left loaded for longer than that but it was the biggest concern. So after your statement , we conclude. Tazer. Lol.

45fan

Master
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Wow, your entire response was full of things that I did not want to hear. Yes he has a felony conviction. He is a fellow pizza delivery driver and was thinking it might be a good idea to have something to protect him self with. 32 was smaller than I wanted , but in a bp revolver it would the lighter option for pocket carry. I was really hoping it could be left loaded for longer than that but it was the biggest concern. So after your statement , we conclude. Tazer. Lol.

That might be your best option, along with practicing good situational awareness, at least short term. As for a better solution, it isnt unheard of for convicted felons to get their records either expunged, or charges lowered after serving the sentence out.

I would seriously look into the possiblity of getting that issue resolved, and then he would be free to get his permit, and carry a modern, reliable handgun for self defense.

The biggest thing I would stress in this situation though, being aware of your surroundings will go much further than any weapon will in getting you home safely after a shift on the streets...

richardraw316

Master
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    It just might not work for him. It's a class c. I have not found anything saying it can be lowered or removed. He has been doing the job long enough I think he has situation awareness down pretty well.

45fan

Master
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Its always worth looking into. I friend from high school had a couple of felonies on his record, one a class B, I believe, he is currently a Staff Sergeant in the Army, with a clear record. Im sure that it wont be easy, or cheap, but its always worth a shot.

Failure is always better than inaction, because to fail, at least you can say you tried...

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I posted the below under general firearms discussions but then I saw this blackpowder thread. So here goes figured you guys might know as well.
    I am contemplating the purchase of a muzzle-loader. I was into them in the early 90's, but got all "starry eyed" over military rifles and dumped muzzle-loading. Well I am over military weapons now and muzzle-loaders continue to turn my head even though it has been years. I like traditional muzzle-loaders not the in line type. I have my eye on a Traditions Pennsylvania percussion 50 cal long rifle. 1/66 twist which means round ball,which is what I am after. I am pretty sure that Traditions has not made this model I am currently looking at since maybe 1997? I could be wrong though? Anyway...does anyone out there have any input or experience with this particular make and model of muzzle loading rifle? I will not be hunting with it just shooting it for fun. Any input is appreciated. Thank you:)

sun

Marksman
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    The Traditions Pennsylvania Rifle is still being sold in both percussion and flint versions. They're known for being quite accurate rifles due to their 40 inch barrel and long sight radius. Just be sure to buy from a reputable seller that has a return or exchange policy in case it doesn't meet your expectations after you receive it. The percussion model would probably be more reliable than the flint version.

Traditions Pennsylvania Flintlock Rifle - 264886, Black Powder Rifles at Sportsman's Guide

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/category/Pennsylvania-Rifle

Last edited:

freekforge

Master
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Richardraw316 a BP revolver can be left loaded for months and I have heard of guys leaving them loaded for years and still having them shoot. Its all about how you load it if you take your time and clean each chamber before loading and use the proper size projo and cap it will be air and to an extent water tight. I have and still do on occasion carry a BP revolver i kept it loaded for 1 week at a time. every thursday i would go to the range and shoot off 12 rounds,6 rounds that were loaded for the previous week and 6 additional practice rounds, then i would go home thoroughly clean and reload the gun and be ready for another week. I never had a malfunction on any of the rounds in the cylinder i had loaded for defense ever.

Oh and FWIW if i recall correctly ic says a ltch is required to carry a taser.

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    Here's my Massachusetts Arms Adams Pocket Revolver, .31 caliber...circa 1857-1860. Shared this in the Wheelgun sticky, but though I'd share here, too.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Anyone know if the group still meets the first Sunday or every month at Fort Wayne Rifle & Revolver? Or any other groups around Fort Wayne that shoot BP?

Yes, Denny McNabb and the boys shoot the first Sunday starting at noon. I think April through October. Meat prizes, probably more.

Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Does anyone have any experience with the Traditions Trapper percussion pistol ? I'm seriously contemplating picking one up and just wonder about it's accuracy and quality of build. I especially like the double triggers for target.

P1100.jpg

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    If you can get the Traditions Trapper pistol bought right, it will serve you well. Their quality is good. I'd put them (Traditions) between Thompson Center and CVA and CVA's quality has come up considerably in recent years.

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    Rifle build that I started last week. It's going to be a John Armstrong rifle when complete. Large Siler flint lock, B-weight, swamped .50 caliber Colerain barrel and brass fittings on a grade 3 Curly Maple stock. This one will end up in Missouri for a customer. Click on the picture for a larger view if it's small.
    20140515_175601.jpg

Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    If you can get the Traditions Trapper pistol bought right, it will serve you well. Their quality is good. I'd put them (Traditions) between Thompson Center and CVA and CVA's quality has come up considerably in recent years.

I used the Make Offer option on Budsgunshop and the offer was excepted so this Trapper is on it's way soon. Should be a hoot to shoot!

Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I had the opportunity to purchase a Traditions Pennsylvania Flintlock this afternoon. The seller could not provide recent pictures, but told me that it looked just like the one on MidwayUSA.

I only have experience in black powder with my inline Knight Vision so I had many concerns going into it. What through me off was the fact that the brass was very dull in appearance. I stepped away from the deal but i'm wondering if I should have since I could have picked it up for $170. There was very little rust on the barrel and some around the hammer. (I think it could have probably been removed).

I'm contemplating contacting him back, but i'm just curious, can you clean up the brass and the inlays on these rifles?

vedearduff

Marksman
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I had the opportunity to purchase a Traditions Pennsylvania Flintlock this afternoon. The seller could not provide recent pictures, but told me that it looked just like the one on MidwayUSA.

I only have experience in black powder with my inline Knight Vision so I had many concerns going into it. What through me off was the fact that the brass was very dull in appearance. I stepped away from the deal but i'm wondering if I should have since I could have picked it up for $170. There was very little rust on the barrel and some around the hammer. (I think it could have probably been removed).

I'm contemplating contacting him back, but i'm just curious, can you clean up the brass and the inlays on these rifles?
    The brass can be cleaned up with a bit (perhaps a lot) of polishing. The rust around the hammer can also be taken care of. When (if?) you go back, take a bore light and see how the rifling looks.

The price is not bad if the bore is in good shape. The condition of the brass is fairly normal, if you prefer the polished look you ill need to keep a good coat of wax on th brass once you get it the way you want it. If you plan to hunt with it, you may want to leave it the way it is.

Keep in mind that flintlocks will not work with any of the BP substitutes, you will need to get a supply of real black powder. I use GOEX 3f in all my muzzleloaders which range from .36 (my squirrel rifle) to .75 (custom Brown Bess) caliber. I also use 3f for the pan powder.

Feel free to ask any questions, either in this thread or by PM.

Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    An excellent brass cleaning solution is a small cup of vinegar and salt. I mix this solution and then just dip a rag and sprinkle a very small amount of salt on the rag and polish.

Another way of polishing brass which I have yet to try but read on the internet was to use "Works" toilet bowl cleaner. It's touted to clean the brass fairly quickly and takes most of the elbow grease out of the process.

It can be done as I've done two Hawken rifles and they turned out spectacular. After the brass is clean I use Murphys Oil Soap on the wood stock and brass to protect.

Top Bottom