• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kalashalite

Plinker
    Apr 24, 2023
    SE Indiana
    I don't know if you would call it shenanigans,we all got together for a mulligan stew, Everything from possum to skunk was tossed in, A little moon shine for a kicker and then we would play split the hawk handle. $10- draw for order - and rotate- late man that could keep throwing his hawk and sticking it won the pot. Great memories.
    Oh wow, see that's what I want to hear.

Please, if you don't mind. Regale us with more friendship tales!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The heartbreaking thing for me as a younger guy (late 20's) is that this sport as a whole is fading as the old get older and the young get interested in other things.

I want to just go to Friendship and soak up as much as I can learn while it's still around.

For me the gateway drug was a $180 Remington New Model Army made by Uberti in 1972. I picked it up at Double G guns in Flat Rock when I first moved to Indiana. I knew I was gonna love black powder the moment I touched off the first cylinder full. The smoke, the noise, the smell, the ritual of loading and cleaning. I like it all.
    You should visit the Feast of the Hunters moon in Tippecanoe county.
    The entire festival is a period event
    They sell buffalo burgers and stew, have demonstrations on period living...
    It's very interesting, but way too crowded for me.

Reactions: Leo

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've hunted deer with traditional bows, compound, sidelock ML and an Encore along with shotgun. Think I wish to try throwing an atlatl but would not hunt with one.

I watched a video years ago of a guy hunting black bear with a spear!
    He was sitting in a tree stand, and not nearly high enough if you ask me, hunting over a bait barrel.
    He took a nice looking bear, but not before a curios bear stood on its hind legs and leaned against the tree the guy was sitting in.
    That bears paws were more than 2' from the guys feet!
    Once skewered, it only ran about 20 yards.

Just a tad more adrenaline than I wish to expend.

Kalashalite

Plinker
    Apr 24, 2023
    SE Indiana
    Sounds like a lot of fun, I actually first heard of this yesterday when I was talking to a reenactor. I might have to make the pilgrimage.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Building my 3rd flintlock right now. Have 2 more parts sets/stocks waiting.

They are reliable and fun when you understand them, not hard to do at all.

Don

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Shoot some flintlock if you want to appreciate the challenges people faced using these things to survive back in the day.
    My flintlock experience has vastly increased my regard for the people who had to fight using those weapons, as well as mildly improved my regard for their performance.

A rifled flintlock can be shot much more accurately than people might think, and even the smoothbores will reliably take a dude out at 50+ yards.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Went down in June and got totally spanked on the woods walk. BUT, I finally made it completely through the course with no failures except needing a little flint knapping. And even then, only once. That, to me, was a milestone.

That said, I do love puttin' 'em where I want 'em at 200 with the Accura.

And hey, Don, those Kiblers are something else, aren't they?

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    TC .54 cal and .45 cal

my grandpa’s guns - once I clean them up, I hope to use them and learn the ways

Attachments

• IMG_0483.jpeg
      IMG_0483.jpeg
      525.3 KB · Views: 6
    • IMG_0484.jpeg
      IMG_0484.jpeg
      551.8 KB · Views: 6
    • IMG_0486.jpeg
      IMG_0486.jpeg
      444.3 KB · Views: 7
    • IMG_0488.jpeg
      IMG_0488.jpeg
      401.6 KB · Views: 7
    • IMG_0489.jpeg
      IMG_0489.jpeg
      391.1 KB · Views: 7

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Went down in June and got totally spanked on the woods walk. BUT, I finally made it completely through the course with no failures except needing a little flint knapping. And even then, only once. That, to me, was a milestone.

That said, I do love puttin' 'em where I want 'em at 200 with the Accura.

And hey, Don, those Kiblers are something else, aren't they?
    Yes they are very good. I have a Colonial in 58 and just completed a Woodsrunner in 54, waiting for the finish to dry.
    Going to away for a week on vacation but shooting it first day back!!

Don

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I don't know if you would call it shenanigans,we all got together for a mulligan stew, Everything from possum to skunk was tossed in, A little moon shine for a kicker and then we would play split the hawk handle. $10- draw for order - and rotate- late man that could keep throwing his hawk and sticking it won the pot. Great memories.
    A bunch of us teenagers use to throw our tomahawks, and try to split, or cut the others handles.....I grew up playing at Clinton "Doc" Haddaways' house, with his son, Fred. When Doc died, everyone tried to get Fred to keep making them, but Doc's way was old school, with some modern tools used. Haddaway Locks are hard to find now...."Them days sure shined"

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    As a 50-year black powder hunter and competitive shooter I have seen this sport go in two directions. It started out as people reenacting the ways of the past. patch and round ball, craftsmanship of building a working firearm - the thrill of the stalk.one shot one kill. 20 years ago, the divide started. The inline, 300-yard shooting, scope mounted, pellet powered, copper jacketed bullets. For many it added another hunting season --For me it lost the meaning of a muzzle loader.
    You can throw that in with the rendezvous. It started out trying to recreate history then became a contest for concealing as much modern equipment as you could.

Don't do either any more.

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    When visiting Friendship several years ago I could not believe some of those new fangled blackpowder trap shotguns. They appeared to be black powder Perazzi's or Ljutics.

I've hunted deer with traditional bows, compound, sidelock ML and an Encore along with shotgun. Think I wish to try throwing an atlatl but would not hunt with one.

Most of the "arrowheads" we find more likely came from an atlatl or a spear. They used to hunt bear, elk, bison, whatever with those. Makes you wonder if they argues which caliber was better.

You throw with an atlatl. You don't actually throw an atlatl. Would be like when my FIL used to throw his golf clubs. Lots of fun. You should try it.

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    My flintlock experience has vastly increased my regard for the people who had to fight using those weapons, as well as mildly improved my regard for their performance.

A rifled flintlock can be shot much more accurately than people might think, and even the smoothbores will reliably take a dude out at 50+ yards.
    Hunt every year in a muzzle loader only area --Run in to this old timer with a match lock -Talk about a challenge - Wasn't up much for talking, spent most of his time keeping the wick glowing -Bigger challenge than I would want to under take.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Divide? I have chosen to be in neither camp. Killed deer w percussion TCs and Knight Inlines.
    But those days are long gone.
    Last deer season sucked and it hasn't been good for a while.
    I quit muzzleloader hunting.
    Proly end up quitting deer hunting in general pretty soon.
    Just isn't fun anymore.

Hunted w my TC stainless Hawken last season.
    Added a couple dings to it. Eh, its a hunting gun (even if of collector status).
    Know a guy w a TC Cougar.
    Thought about buying it, then a reg Hawken and a Supreme.
    But prices have gone silly for that amount of what would be just wall decor.

FWIW I did find a place that does make TC maxi hunter style bullets (what I used).
    Since TC no longer makes em.

yetti462

Master
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    When I was at PU we rented a house down river road just down from the fort. The traffic sucked during the feast . Been years since I was there, need to make the trip up there.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I would have loved to been a fly on a tree at Friendship back in the 70's. So many stories of the trade blankets and shenanigans.
    Hell I was there! Getting up in the morning, eating bacon and eggs my dad cooked over a campfire, checking our guns, and powder. Walking up to range office and seeing which matches we wanted to shoot. Dad would give me and my brother $5 and tell us to make it last.. Us kids ran around the flea market, and the grounds in general, watching matches, running through the sheep shed, and the Lamb shed. If we had time we'd run over to the primitive range, and watch the woods walks and then play in Laughery Creek. We'd shoot our match, and wait for the results (my brother and I were average shooters, never actually in the hunt, but it was fun..) Inlines interest me none what so ever. The loading, the shooting, the swabbing the barrel out... rinse and repeat.. the good old side locks are where the fun is to me, that sulphur smell of Goex powder, occasional misfires, re-knap the flint, try again..Sitting around the campfire, and hear Clinton "Doc" Haddaway tell stories of WW2, and working as a gunsmith....dang I miss that....I see young un's shooting up there now, and know that those kids will be just fine!

cg21

Master
    May 5, 2012
    Hell I was there! Getting up in the morning, eating bacon and eggs my dad cooked over a campfire, checking our guns, and powder. Walking up to range office and seeing which matches we wanted to shoot. Dad would give me and my brother $5 and tell us to make it last.. Us kids ran around the flea market, and the grounds in general, watching matches, running through the sheep shed, and the Lamb shed. If we had time we'd run over to the primitive range, and watch the woods walks and then play in Laughery Creek. We'd shoot our match, and wait for the results (my brother and I were average shooters, never actually in the hunt, but it was fun..) Inlines interest me none what so ever. The loading, the shooting, the swabbing the barrel out... rinse and repeat.. the good old side locks are where the fun is to me, that sulphur smell of Goex powder, occasional misfires, re-knap the flint, try again..Sitting around the campfire, and hear Clinton "Doc" Haddaway tell stories of WW2, and working as a gunsmith....dang I miss that....I see young un's shooting up there now, and know that those kids will be just fine!
    Love hearing this. I didn’t grow up doing it but I got some of the youngsters down there now

Top Bottom