• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dog1

Master
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    All this talk of Friendship brings back memories of the seventies. Back before My dad became a total dick. We used to go to Friendship every year. Walking the flea market buying possible bags and powder horns and all kinds of stuff. Going over and watching the matches.

I shoot BP on occasion. Not as much as I should, considering I'm a direct descendant of Daniel Boone. I don't even have a Flintlock I'm ashamed to say

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    Love hearing this. I didn’t grow up doing it but I got some of the youngsters down there now
    Per my #20 post sometimes the fun would interfere with the shooting. After a long night at the campfire, had to shoot a 100-yard cross sticks, five shoot target --Waited in line to turn my target in and walked away. got to the end of the line and a young scorer comes running up to me and said "Mister this is a five-shoot target not a three-shoot target" I turned around and said I know ---sometimes the partying got out of hand!

cg21

Master
    May 5, 2012
    Per my #20 post sometimes the fun would interfere with the shooting. After a long night at the campfire, had to shoot a 100-yard cross sticks, five shoot target --Waited in line to turn my target in and walked away. got to the end of the line and a young scorer comes running up to me and said "Mister this is a five-shoot target not a three-shoot target" I turned around and said I know ---sometimes the parting got out of hand!
    Well I don’t drink and neither do my 8 & 11 yo so we’re good on that front lol

ACR

Plinker
    Jan 13, 2024
    Goshen
    For me I don't really see the appeal of a inline muzzleloader, other then exclusively for deer hunting. But for me even deer hunting, I would rather take my replica Hawkin .50 cal then a inline muzzleloader.
    Its my understanding that muzzleloader deer season is pretty much the only reason inlines exist today.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    For me I don't really see the appeal of a inline muzzleloader, other then exclusively for deer hunting. But for me even deer hunting, I would rather take my replica Hawkin .50 cal then a inline muzzleloader.
    Its my understanding that muzzleloader deer season is pretty much the only reason inlines exist today.
    I deer hunted exclusively with my TC Hawken with a patched roundball for about 30 years, firearms season and muzzle loader season. The guys who got me started were long-time black powder shooters, and they taught me a lot. We used to go to a club range outside of Portland for their monthly money-shoots in the mid 80s. They'd have one big rendezvous each year that was like a mini-Friendship and it was a lot of fun.

I only hunt in the HNF, and the one thing that was always good about muzzle loader season was that there were fewer hunters out and you didn't have to worry about whether or not some other guy or guys were planning on hunting the same spot as you, or whether or not you'd find an open roadside camping spot like you did in the firearm season. Nowadays, we don't see nearly as many hunters where we go, even in the firearm season.

In recent years, now that I'm over 60, I need a scoped rifle (well, I don't need it, but it sure is nice), and something that's lighter and more conducive to hunting in the rain if I want. So, for me now, my inline with a scope is probably going to be my go-to for deer hunting, but my old TC Hawken is still the gun in my safe with the most and best memories associated with it.

Top Bottom