• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slow Hand

Master
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I’ve been shooting various forms of BP for quite awhile now. From way back in my youth of punting with a Hawkins style .50 cal to several years of CAS shooting BP Cartridge class to more recently shooting older gun and more modern repros with BP. Through those many years I’ve gone through many different ways of cleaning. Much of it involved lots of hot water (original reason I used to use my brothers coffee pot), windex, crazy mixes of Murphys oil soap and hydrogen peroxide etc.

I used Balistol years ago and even made up moose milk but never got really into it. For some reason, I have gone back to using Moose Milk (50/50 mix of Ballistol and water) in a spray bottle to clean various BP fire arms.

My most common recent guns have been an 1851 Navy repro, a couple of trapdoors on .45/70 and one 2nd Model Allin in .50/70, a .45/70 Sharps and more recently a Springfield Rolling Block in .50/45 carbine.

As an example of what I currently am
    Using, today I fired my .50/45 rolling block for only the second time. I put ten live rounds through it and then ten ‘blanks’ through it to fire form some new cases to see if they’ll work. I would imagine the blanks left more residue behind due to not having a bullet to push it out.

When I returned homes I opened the action and put the carbine muzzle down on a rag and gave the bore and action several squirts of moose milk. I then ran three patches down the bore. The first was dry and the next two were sprayed with moose milk. After the third patch, I was satisfied and ran a patch saturated with straight ballistol down the bore then wiped the whole carbine down with that wonderful German magic juice.

Pictured below (hopefully; I’m a dumb plumber, not a tech guy) are pics of the pile of oooze, the first patch, second and third, clean patch.

I’m not saying this is the best way, but it seems to work well for me!

IMG_5294.jpeg

IMG_5289.jpeg

IMG_5287.jpeg IMG_5288.jpeg

And one last pic trying to show the bore of a black powder cartridge rifle made in 1867 to show that you can still get lucky and find a good, old one!

IMG_5292.jpeg

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    My first BP gun was a T/C Hawken in .50 that has taken deer, a coyote and, ahem, a fox squirrel that was bought in the early
    90's.
    Back then I picked up a BP book by Sam Fadala and abided by the "no petroleum solvents for black powder" mantra.

Always stuck the breech in hot water and worked the cleaning/loading rod up and down with a cleaning jag and patch. After it dried a coating of bore butter was rubbed in the barrel and exterior of the rifle. Not that I shot it constantly but it still looks good as new.

I have still run hot water over the cylinders of BP revolvers to get fouling out of every nook and crany but have switched to moose milk for cleaning all the other parts. They get a good wiping after that then a coating of Ballistol. Still have the bore butter but
    primarily use it as patch lube.

Slow Hand

Master
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    My first BP gun was a T/C Hawken in .50 that has taken deer, a coyote and, ahem, a fox squirrel that was bought in the early
    90's.
    Back then I picked up a BP book by Sam Fadala and abided by the "no petroleum solvents for black powder" mantra.

Always stuck the breech in hot water and worked the cleaning/loading rod up and down with a cleaning jag and patch. After it dried a coating of bore butter was rubbed in the barrel and exterior of the rifle. Not that I shot it constantly but it still looks good as new.

I have still run hot water over the cylinders of BP revolvers to get fouling out of every nook and crany but have switched to moose milk for cleaning all the other parts. They get a good wiping after that then a coating of Ballistol. Still have the bore butter but
    primarily use it as patch lube.

Yep, Sam knows his stuff, for sure! I did the same for cleaning muzzle loaders for a long time.
    Karl from InRange did a video recently on civil war period cleaning regimen. basically put. Piece of leather over the nipple and let the hammer down on it. Pour water, hot if available, down the bore and let it sit for five minutes. Dump it out and repeat. Pour out about half of that water then put your thumb over the muzzle and slosh it around. Run west patches down the bore until they come out clean. Oil it and you’re good. I think we tend to overcomplicate things these days!

mausermadness

Plinker
    Mar 19, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    Yep, Sam knows his stuff, for sure! I did the same for cleaning muzzle loaders for a long time.
    Karl from InRange did a video recently on civil war period cleaning regimen. basically put. Piece of leather over the nipple and let the hammer down on it. Pour water, hot if available, down the bore and let it sit for five minutes. Dump it out and repeat. Pour out about half of that water then put your thumb over the muzzle and slosh it around. Run west patches down the bore until they come out clean. Oil it and you’re good. I think we tend to overcomplicate things these days!
    After reading this thread I definitely feel like I've been over complicating cleaning my muzzleloaders

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have shot black from the fifth grade, I am now 78. Always used water till Uncle took my young body for 7 years and Gunny interduced me to Moble 1. After that 7 years I went back to black and water with a wipe down of mobile 1. It works why change. I use wads soaked in SPG or Bore Butter.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Do you run anything in the bore after it dries for rust prevention in storage? Curious about Ballistol as my go-too regimen for years has been Dawn dish soap water, dry, Butch’s Bore Shine and if storing I’d run a patch of CVA slick lube through.

Thanks for sharing

Slow Hand

Master
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Do you run anything in the bore after it dries for rust prevention in storage? Curious about Ballistol as my go-too regimen for years has been Dawn dish soap water, dry, Butch’s Bore Shine and if storing I’d run a patch of CVA slick lube through.

Thanks for sharing
    I put a patch with straight Ballistol down the bore after cleaning just to be safe. I also usually check them over a few days after cleaning. Like was posted above, I’ve heard to not use ‘mineral based’ oils with BP but I have used regular gun oil to wipe down the outside of many guns fired with BP over the years. Sounds like your routine has worked fine and I wouldn’t worry about changing it.

Kdf101

Expert
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    How did they do it back in the old west days with their 66’s,73’s, etc? Was there a commonly used way to get it done or did everybody just do their own thing?

ACR

Plinker
    Jan 13, 2024
    Goshen
    I think using water with the cleaning jag and patch and pumping the water is probably one of the things that works best. I had cleaned it a couple times without water, and it would have issues with it not firing off, when I took it out to shoot. Even running a dry patch down first. i think part of my problem was using to much oil and leaving the barrel pointed up as well.
    The last time I cleaned it. I pumped water through, and then ballistol a couple times, then dry patch, and then lightly coated with ballistol. I will have to see how that works next time I shoot it, I may try bore butter next. I just want it to be able to fire reliably, after being in storage even if it still needs a dry patch first that is fine.
    This is on a Traditions St.Louis Hawkin .50cal percussion cap.

Top Bottom