• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    if you are going to carry a gun for a black bear, your should also carry one for mountain lions, one for elk and another for wild boars. probably need another one for the hilljacks. /s

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    A lot of guides and Alaskans are using 10mm now for Brown bear defense with 200gr-220gr hard cast WFNGC bullets. I'm sure it will put down a black bear if they are killing Brown bears in Alaska with them. Plus you have manageable recoil and semiautomatic if you so choose. Or like some they get it in a revolver.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Well we saw a few bears and I did stumble awfully close to one but not in the way I expected. My bear gun at the time was...my esee izula 2 in my gym shorts pocket and a stern "get on out of hear" So out and about in the woods we could see some off in the distance checking us out and wandering off nothing to worry about. Then we decide to go to Gatlinburg and wander around town. Well I had some old smokey whiskey and needed to go to the car and decided it wasn't the greatest idea to carry a gun so I dropped a knife in my pocket. I get down stairs and hear "whoof' and there he was a big ol black bear in the hotel parking lot. Sobered me up real quick. Treated him like a stray dog and stomped my foot and said "get on out of here" and he left.

On a side note don't worry about bears worry about the thugs in the Southside of Chattanooga breaking into hotel rooms where you are staying. Cops where at the hotel all night after someone was trying to knock down the door for the room adjacent to ours.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    A 9mm that you can access quickly and shoot well is far superior to a bigger gun that you can't access quick enough. There's no need for heavy hardcast bullets for black bear, the vitals are not that hard to reach from the angle you'll be presented in event of an attack. Barnes XPB's or any other quality controlled expansion hollowpoint of a reasonable (read mid-range) weight will work just fine.

Top Bottom