• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    This comment is the best advice you've gotten so far and I was about to type something very similar.

Personally, I've been on several black bear hunts in Ontario, and one in Maine. I've seen several grizzly's while backpacking in Alaska. All of them were skittish, and all of them could have torn me to shreds if they'd have wanted to, and I'm thankful they didn't.

I have a hill people gear chest pouch because it looks like some type of backpacking gear, not some tactical weapon carrier. If you're trying to stay grey man that's the ticket, but you'd better practice ripping that thing open and drawing from it because it won't be as quick as the Kenai gunfighter chest holster type under any condition. You'll likely also want a kydex trigger guard that you secure in the pouch that's specific to your gun to help keep it from bouncing around. Also, go on a few mile hike with it so you get used to the feeling of a couple pounds on your chest, it'll effect your breathing for sure.

While at a gun store in Anchorage killing some time with my buddy we asked the guy behind the counter what locals are using. From what the guy behind the counter said just about everyone up there is turning in their 44mag wheel guns for glock 10mm's. This is where you turn your dilemma into an opportunity. Talk with your wife about this specific need and how it's easier to handle, holds more rounds, for the family, to protect the kids, and she could use it too. Might as well try to get a new gun out of making her happy right? (you did ask this on a gun forum)

If you don't want to drop coin on a new gun, definitely go with the hard cast rounds in whatever you've already got and paid for. Just make sure you actually shoot a few first so you know it cycles and you know what to expect out of them. You're in for a ride, those rounds are meant to break bear bones.
    I'm trying to use this as an opportunity to talk the wife into spending some money on a new gun, fingers are still crossed. Im planning on picking up a .44 wheel gun or g20 within the next year so that when we get into big bear country I have a better caliber than my 357s and 9s. Thanks for bringing up the hill people gear pack I couldn't remember the name of the company for the life of me.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Listen: For black bear, your high cap 9mm gun that you train and practice and carry a lot will be just find. Don't over think this.

The average black bear weighs a little more than the average midwestern corn-fed American Male. Yes - there are outliers.

You also have an advantage in that if you're hiking with a family - y'all are gonna be making a LOT of noise. That'll take care of almost 100% of the bear issues right there.

Then you can get bear spray canisters. I'd almost rather have people-repellent spray because of a higher % of the spicy sauce. Seriously - look up the %s.

Don't over complicate things.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I think I've kept it simple the question was 9 or 357 and what ammo. I didn't ask about hunting or brown bear just what caliber and ammo. I've seen black bear I understand they are small and not much to worry about. I literally said that being out with the family will probably scare them off and that I have bear spray.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I think I've kept it simple the question was 9 or 357 and what ammo. I didn't ask about hunting or brown bear just what caliber and ammo. I've seen black bear I understand they are small and not much to worry about. I literally said that being out with the family will probably scare them off and that I have bear spray.
    Exactly, take the one your most confident in.
    If you're quicker on target and follow up shops with one over the other then that is the one I would choose.

I have crossed paths with only one bear in the smokies out of many trips. I had a 38 with hardcast 158gr in pack, wearing swim gear hiking to swim spot.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Keeping it simple, which one do you shoot better with and will have on you. Whatever that is, done.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

I carried 9mm 147gr hst in black bear country.

Kudos on the retention holster. After going head over heels while crossing a snowmelt stolen stream, retention is a definite requirement IMHO in the back country.

One of the main reasons I got rid of my 10mm glock was that I couldn't get a rti soc holster for it and I have so much time and ammo invested 8n training and practicing with the soc that I was leary of getting into a different type of holster.

How do you like the safari land retention holsters? That was what everyone in the high country seemed to be carrying.

As an afterthought, my defensive guns all have to have lights. I never tried to put a light on a revolver or find a good holster that holds a revolver with a light, but you sure have options for that with the g19, g20, etc.

Last edited:

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I carried 9mm 147gr hst in black bear country.

Kudos on the retention holster. After going head over heels while crossing a snowmelt stolen stream, retention is a definite requirement IMHO in the back country.

One of the main reasons I got rid of my 10mm glock was that I couldn't get a rti soc holster for it and I have so much time and ammo invested 8n training and practicing with the soc that I was leary of getting into a different type of holster.

How do you like the safari land retention holsters? That was what everyone in the high country seemed to be carrying.

As an afterthought, my defensive guns all have to have lights. I never tried to put a light on a revolver or find a good holster that holds a revolver with a light, but you sure have options for that with the g19, g20, etc.
    I have used all levels of retention on the safariland holsters and love them all. When I first hired on to the PD that was all that was allowed and I'm glad that they got me carrying with them. I have a habit of falling down stairs, hills, riverbanks, completely flat surfaces etc. So retention holsters are a must for me.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I have used all levels of retention on the safariland holsters and love them all. When I first hired on to the PD that was all that was allowed and I'm glad that they got me carrying with them. I have a habit of falling down stairs, hills, riverbanks, completely flat surfaces etc. So retention holsters are a must for me.
    I know you said you have glocks, so if you're comfortable with them don't count out a g21 for a do all backwoods pistol. Setup and Loaded with .45 super, or if you want more a barrel for 460 Rowland. 45 super is a recoil spring change and is very close to 10mm performance. The 460 Rowland is a barrel and spring, and easily outperforms the 10mm.

Heck even the 45acp+p would be a good woods gun for Tennessee

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I know you said you have glocks, so if you're comfortable with them don't count out a g21 for a do all backwoods pistol. Setup and Loaded with .45 super, or if you want more a barrel for 460 Rowland. 45 super is a recoil spring change and is very close to 10mm performance. The 460 Rowland is a barrel and spring, and easily outperforms the 10mm.

Heck even the 45acp+p would be a good woods gun for Tennessee

Hmmm.... a 460 Rowland in a 1911......

Why do I read these threads and get led into temptation?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I have shot the 460 Rowland and it is impressive. Never seen a 1911 one though.

Actually the 45 super is also impressive.

I have not ever looked into them, but did find this after a very quick search.

ETA: Dang!

Last edited:

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    I have a 3” Adj sight GP100 .357, 180-200 grain Hardcast are my go to. Gunfighters inc chest holster or Hill People Gear chest pack.

I also have 147+P Underwood Hardcast for my Glock 9mm’s.

I train on a regular basis with these guns and can shoot them very well.

Last edited:

Dstewart73

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2019
    Indy
    I have hunted bear most of my life. Shot my first in the California Sierra’s in 1981 with a Dan Wesson 44mag stooked with 240 grain soft points. It did the trick. Shot 4 more with that same weapon.
    When in bear country now I carry a Glock 10mm.
    I would take whatever you shoot best. When a bear is pissed and your heart beat is 200 and tunnel vision sets in, its whatever you can put on target, numerous times, the quickest. JMHO

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    Just got back from a black bear hunt in Idaho. Here's what I saw on our hunt. Guide's carried either a 45 1911 with hard cast 230 gr. or a single action 44. Three hunters in our group carried a Sig in 45, a Judge with 45 LC, and a Ruger revolver in 327 Fed. mag. These guys were bow and muzzleloader hunting so I kinda understood the idea for a back-up.

I'd agree with a previous comment the bears were skittish of humans, and the guides said the main issue is a wounded bear when they're tracking (please note I'm no expert but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once).

Funny one guide said he never wanted a hunter to pull a pistol as he'd be afraid of getting shot in the excitement.......

Good luck and stay safe!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    This year the family and I are planning on going on a few trips around the country all of the places have bears of some sort. In a few weeks we will be headed into back country in the smokies. I know the bears are more afraid of us yada yada but the wife if worried about our bear bait I mean kids. So I ordered some bear spray and will carry a gun while out there. So here's what I got, I consolidated my personal guns down to 9mm and 38/357. I'd prefer to carry my own gun and not my dad's .45acp or .44mag. so I have Glocks and a 9mm 1911 then a couple Taurus 38s and uberti cattleman 2s in .357 that I'd be ok carrying and beating up. Given that info what gun and load would you carry? Again I get that we're more likely to get struck by lightning but if I can make my wife feel better I will.

This lady says you do not need a gun.....

LOL

Top Bottom