• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    This is what the military is teaching to the soldiers that are issued acogs or other low powered optics.... I have seen several threads where this could apply so I figured I would start a thread with some links to what it is... Hope it helps.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3vFpvDHuhM]YouTube - Trijicon's Bindon Aiming Concept[/ame]

Bindon Aiming Concept

Does the Bindon Aiming Concept (BAC) really work?

It does work; but it works better for some shooters than others. First, because the distance between your eyes is different and the tilt of your head are unique for each person, so is the shift from the unmagnified to the magnified view. In addition, if you have any form of phoria (which is common in older shooter), the shift is greater since your eyes don't track perfectly in alignment.

One thing that the Trijicon online demonstration doesn't show is that the point of aim changes slightly from weak (unmagnified) view to strong (magnified) view. This is because your brain is switching views from two entirely different angles; but using the reticle view superimposed by the dominant eye. The result is that a reticle that appears to be dead on target in the weak view suddenly jumps over a bit when you switch to the strong view (the strong view is the real point of impact if the scope is properly zeroed). This jump is determined by the factors I mentioned above.

Is it as fast at close range (i.e., under 25 yards) as a good dot sight?

No. A good dot sight is almost always faster, though with training and BAC you can minimize the difference. Check out the Reading Library thread tacked at the top of the Rifle forum for a comparison of times using irons, a dot sight, ACOG, and a low-powered variable scope by two trained shooters. The ACOG is a little slow in that one because the shots were taken exclusively with the magnified view. If we had shot with the weak eye (unmagnified view), it would have been a hair faster; but a little more uncertain where the hits would land. Since we were combining movement with shooting, it is real easy to throw them outside the desired target area using just the weak eye view.

Is the BAC a natural ability within the human optic system, or are the ACOG sights designed especially to work with the concept?

BAC is a natural human ability for anyone with good binocular vision and minimal phoria (Differences in alignment between two eyes are minimal). You do not need an ACOG to make it work. All your brain is doing is superimposing the reticle from the strong eye view over the target view from the weak eye. One thing you do need to make it work though, is good contrast between the reticle and the target. This can mean anything from an illuminated reticle to a thick post reticle or a circle/dot reticle to make the reticle easier to pick up.

If a design of the sight itself, which of Trijicon's optics offer the capability?

Any of the sights can be used that way; but the sights with "BAC" have a combination of tritium and fiber optic tube that illuminates the reticle at all times. This means that the contrast is very good and very easy to use. I imagine there are also a few trade secrets in the design that make it easy to use as the Trijicon scopes seem to be easier for me than any other optic. In most of the BAC scopes, Trijicon makes it even easier by using fairly thick, bold reticles that offer good contrast even when unilluminated.

One downside to illumination though is that if you get partial illumination and a background that is lit the same way (say a fine amber reticle at dusk, or a red t-shirt with a dimly lit red reticle), the reticle can seem to "disappear" briefly. I've never seen it in actual use; but I have been able to use an adjustable lighting system to tune the light and background just right.

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    Man, I think get the concept, and have experienced it with my red dot. But that video damn near gave me a headache, trying to understand the fella talking under the awful music.

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I am interested in getting my BAC ON.

I do not know if there is a thread on this site safe from BAC ON:rockwoot:

so just because i can... and its my own thread so technically i am not thread jacking.... (plus it was kind of a dry read i admit) but good info...
    here it is....
    bacon.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've seen a lot of people who claimed they could do the bindon aiming concept thing with their ACOG. Exactly one of them actually can do it (slow1911s). The rest have been either fooling themselves, or they don't check their targets afterward.

The comment about it working better for some than for others is something to consider carefully. If it worked well for even a slight majority of people, Trijicon would not be selling ACOGs with mini red dots piggy backed on them.

ACOG is a great piece of glass. It's not the best choice if your shooting is going to be 50m and less and you may need to do it quickly. The bindon aiming concept is a way to work around its shortcomings, but it takes a lot of practice to do it well (assuming it's physically possible for a given individual).

Again, while I'm not trying to demean the ACOG, most people would be better served by a low power adjustable like Trijicon's own Accupoint series, or a humble red dot. If an ACOG is what you already have or what's issued to you, then the BAC makes a lot more sense.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I love my TA31F ACOG and yes, the BAC works for me. And using both eyes open I can also use the ACOG for close up work....

And suddenly Im craving..... BACON!!!

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I shoot all my guns accurately with both eyes open. Even my handguns. I'm weird but I'm very accurate. Its like my mind just lines up the sight with which ever eye it lines up with and slightly brings the other out of focus. (I'm ambidextrous) I shoot equally with both hands. I can even aim 2 guns at once (accurately). I'm a freak of nature. And will gladly demonstrate my technique anytime. Betting is alowed... whining when you have to pay up.... Is not!...lol

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I shoot all my guns accurately with both eyes open. Even my handguns. I'm weird but I'm very accurate. Its like my mind just lines up the sight with which ever eye it lines up with and slightly brings the other out of focus. (I'm ambidextrous) I shoot equally with both hands. I can even aim 2 guns at once (accurately). I'm a freak of nature. And will gladly demonstrate my technique anytime. Betting is alowed... whining when you have to pay up.... Is not!...lol

Ill take that bet it nothing else just to see it done

Mr. Mysterious

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I thin that the main problem that people have when trying to BAC is that their eyes don't move in unison. If they are a right handed shooter their right eye stays focused on the reticle while their left eye wanders ever so slightly.

It's taken me a while to get it down, but now I'm confident enough to slap my TA31F onto my weapon when I end up in Iraq/Afghanistan.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If/When you end up there stay safe.... its not very friendly over there.... and do your best to get an acog over a cco if you have a choice... the 4x really helps in seperating the rocks from the IED's

Mr. Mysterious

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    If/When you end up there stay safe.... its not very friendly over there.... and do your best to get an acog over a cco if you have a choice... the 4x really helps in seperating the rocks from the IED's

I'll be packing my ACOG. I'm not going to count on getting issued what I want. Besides, why spend that much on optics never to actually use it for what it was intended for.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I'll be packing my ACOG. I'm not going to count on getting issued what I want. Besides, why spend that much on optics never to actually use it for what it was intended for.

valid point... lets hope you dont end up with the 249... acog wont do you much good on that... we tried it and its pretty crazy trying to keep a focal picture during 800 RPM.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    I thin that the main problem that people have when trying to BAC is that their eyes don't move in unison. If they are a right handed shooter their right eye stays focused on the reticle while their left eye wanders ever so slightly.

It's taken me a while to get it down, but now I'm confident enough to slap my TA31F onto my weapon when I end up in Iraq/Afghanistan.

Stay safe, Brother! :thumbsup:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Ill take that bet it nothing else just to see it done

I'm in, I'd like to see that too. Maybe FNS?

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I'll have to give 2 eye shooting a try when I go get my rifles at home. I'll let you know how it works out seeing that I've been a 1 eye shooter for the past 15 years or so.

Top Bottom