• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    I had my heart set on a Kriss Vector until I saw the CMMG Guard series .45s. The newest one with the 5” barrel, the Banshee, is begging for a spot in the safe.

I saw a MAC video where he ran the 8” version suppressed with a a Fostech Echo II binary trigger. I’m thinking that would be a great addition to the Banshee. Fostech is real proud of them at $479 (direct from Fostech). Franklin Armory’s select fire binary is $387 from OpticsPlanet where I can probably shave off a couple bucks with a coupon code.

Curious if the Fostech is worth the extra coin. Anyone have experience with both? I’d like to know if the Fostech is built and or engineered better. The $90 won’t matter if one breaks down the road.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Haven't use the Fostech but run the Franklin Armory. Went with the Franklin because I don't need a special bolt or any mods. Their claim is that it will run any caliber AR platform. I have been running it in a 9MM and hope to try .22 this weekend. I have a friend running one in a .223

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    Haven't use the Fostech but run the Franklin Armory. Went with the Franklin because I don't need a special bolt or any mods. Their claim is that it will run any caliber AR platform. I have been running it in a 9MM and hope to try .22 this weekend. I have a friend running one in a .223

How is the trigger pull?

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    I've got both and to me, the Fostech is worth the extra money. They're the same, but entirely different.

The Echo II doesn't require the special bolt carrier that the original Echo needed. It's a drop in unit and works with standard parts. It's a little fidgety to install but it's a cassette style trigger and once you know what you're doing it drops right in. Trigger feel is very good and compares to aftermarket triggers in the $150 range. Nice thing about the Echo is that you can't outrun it. You can screw up and make it miss a beat but it will always reset and keep running. The 'Echo' mode activates on the pull past the break point, so if you release too soon you won't get the release shot and you won't get the next pull shot, but it will all catch back up on the second release. What that means is that if you don't run it correctly you'll stutter and miss a couple of shots but the gun will continue to function.

The Franklin trigger is a component trigger that installs much like the milspec parts. The problem with the Franklin is that you can and will outrun it. It comes with a pair of hammer springs, a pair of trigger springs and a pair of buffer springs so you can experiment with different combinations to avoid the hammer follow of outrunning the trigger. I don't like to experiment by swapping springs, but evidently once you find the combination that your gun and ammo likes it's pretty reliable. The fatal flaw to me is that it will always be somewhat subject to hammer follow and when that happens the gun simply stops running. You have to jack the live round out of the chamber to get the gun reset to fire. The Franklin Binary trigger resets itself on the release so where with the Echo you need to make sure to fully pull the trigger each shot, with the Franklin you need to be sure to fully release the trigger each shot. The big difference happens when you stumble and don't run the trigger 'right'. With the Echo you drop a shot and just keep firing. With the Franklin you quit firing and have to cycle the rifle to get going again.

Due to the design, you can get a slightly higher rof with the Franklin than with the Echo but you're running at the edge of malfunction when you run the Franklin that fast. The Echo simply won't let you malfunction. I'd rather 600rpm reliably than 700rpm with a malf every mag or two but realistically I'm not interested in dumping mags anyway. I use it as a true binary trigger,...just a two round burst trigger,...maybe an occasional quick pair of two round bursts.

Advantage to the Franklin for the claimed reliability with any caliber but I don't see where it's any different than the Echo in that regard. Echo seems to work pretty well in a .22 I have set up. My only real complaint is that the Echo trigger pad is too short and the tip of the trigger digs into the tip of my finger. Small detail but it kinda sucks after awhile.

One other slight pita detail of the Echo,......when hinging the AR closed you need to be in Echo mode and push forward on the hammer release lever while holding the trigger back or you won't be able to close the gun. It's a pain the first few times until you get the hang of it(or when you forget and can't figure out why the gun won't close).

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    I went with Echo 2 for the reasons Kaveman explained. I am having problems with the saftey moving on me to in between semi and echo. It could be a simple fix, but I have not worked on it yet.

I was sold on the idea of not being able to out run the hammer.

Top Bottom