Bill O' Reilly Supports Uni Background checks, Gun Registration.......

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    I do not think that the 80% is accurate. When people are actually told what UBC means, the people that I know that think they were for them are not. This is just the media spreading misinformation, like you are more likely to be killed by your own gun.

PolitiFact | Gabby Giffords says Americans "overwhelmingly" support expanding background checks

CBS News poll, March 20-24, 2013. "Would you favor or oppose background checks on all potential gun buyers?" Favor: 90 percent. Oppose: 8 percent.

Quinnipiac University poll, March 26-April 1, 2013. "Do you support or oppose requiring background checks for all gun buyers?" Support: 91 percent. Oppose: 8 percent.

CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll, April 5-7, 2013: "Some proposals would require a background check on anyone attempting to purchase a gun in order to determine whether the prospective buyer has been convicted of a felony or has a mental health problem. Please tell me whether you would favor or oppose a background check for a prospective gun buyer under each of the following circumstances. ... If the buyer is trying to purchase a gun at a gun show." Favor: 83 percent. Oppose: 17 percent.
    "If the buyer is trying to purchase a gun from another person who is not a gun dealer but owns one or more guns and wants to sell one of them." Favor: 70 percent. Oppose: 29 percent.
    "If the buyer is purchasing a gun from a family member or receiving it as a gift." Favor: 54 percent. Oppose: 45 percent.

54% of americans support a background check even when giving a gun to a FAMILY MEMBER.

90% support a background check "all gun buyers".......90%..

Facts.. we should pay attention to them. Not try and ignore them or fight them, we should look at them. Attempt to educate those who think this way, not put our heads in the sand.

We do no service to our hobby, or rights, or our constitution when we ignore facts. Just because you don't like it, does not mean it's not true. Look at the 2012 election polls. Romney going to win in a landslide. And people actually believed it. Why look at facts; it's not what I want so see so I will make my own up.

Also it is a fact that you are more likely to be killed by a gun/your own gun, then to kill someone with a gun. Thats a fact. Now are you likely to be killed by a gun at all; NO!!! thats a fact as well. But when you bring a weapon in your home you need to be aware of that weapon and facts as to what can happen. To me I fail to see the difference in being killed by your own gun or someone else's gun. Your dead. The fact is owning a gun makes you more likely to be killed by a gun. But either way, both are VERY unlikely to happen. It's simply more likely if you do own a gun. The reason for that are still debatable for scientific purposes.

From a VERRRRRRRRYYYYYYY liberal site; (does not mean it's not true) just sayin.
    http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/01/pro-gun-myths-fact-check

Myth #5: Keeping a gun at home makes you safer.
    Fact-check: Owning a gun has been linked to higher risks of homicide, suicide, and accidental death by gun.
    • For every time a gun is used in self-defense in the home, there are 7 assaults or murders, 11 suicide attempts, and 4 accidents involving guns in or around a home.
    43% of homes with guns and kids have at least one unlocked firearm.
    • In one experiment, one third of 8-to-12-year-old boyswho found a handgun pulled the trigger.

From a News Corp site (they own Fox News)
    http://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2013/mar/25/guns-protection-national-rifle-association
    Academics such as John Lott and Gary Kleck have long claimed that more firearms reduce crime. But is this really the case? Stripped of machismo bluster, this is at heart a testable claim that merely requires sturdy epidemiological analysis. And this was precisely what Prof Charles Branas and his colleagues at the University of Pennsylvania examined in their 2009 paper investigating the link between gun possession and gun assault. They compared 677 cases in which people were injured in a shooting incident with 684 people living in the same area that had not suffered a gun injury. The researchers matched these "controls" for age, race and gender. They found that those with firearms were about 4.5 times more likely to be shot than those who did not carry, utterly belying this oft repeated mantra.

Last edited:

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    I think the term for O'Reilly is "populist". He tries to be where he thinks the mood of the people are that he claims to be looking out for.

GFGT got it. Thats what all good talking heads do. Thats what business do. Does not mean they are right, or moral. But it is what he is, or at least become. I was surprised to hear him say this. I don't watch the "The Factor" that much. But when I do/di hear him, he was usually pro 2A, not anymore I guess.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by edporch
    quote_icon.png
    O'reilly is left of center on most major issues.
    It's always baffled me why so many say he's conservative.

He's anti death penalty, pro gun control, pro abortion on demand, to name a few.
    These are not centrist views.
    We'll have to agree to disagree.

He is not pro abortion on demand. Pro gun control is the center. Look at every darn poll. Over 80% of americans including gun owners support universal background checks. It's a fact. I don't agree with it, but it's a fact.

I've seen him through the years express respect for the fact that abortion on demand is the law, so we must accept it.
    If he doesn't express that a law is bad and should be repealed, he's supporting the law by his silence.

It doesn't matter the percentage of how many people support or are against an idea.
    What matters is the idea.
    Ideas that are statist and not respecting of innocent human life, individual liberty, and property rights are left of center by their very nature, no matter the percentage who support them.

For example, 80% supporting universal background checks simply means that 80% are leftist on the issue.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Doctors love him, he only has two moving parts, his a$$ and his mouth and they are interchangeable!

That being said I actually watch him and while I disagree with him on many points you need to remember tha in order to defeat the enemy you need to know him and his tactics.
    Looking at it pragmatically he is another source of information and a mouthpiece for opinions so even he has value.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Most recently he was very much in favor of the NYC arbitrarily stopping and frisking people without probably cause at the behest of their Beloved Dictator, the Mayor. O'Reilly's only justification of his support was that it would "reduce crime."

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    quote_icon.png
    quote_icon.png
    O'reilly is left of center on most major issues.
    It's always baffled me why so many say he's conservative.

He's anti death penalty, pro gun control, pro abortion on demand, to name a few.
    These are not centrist views.
    We'll have to agree to disagree.

I've seen him through the years express respect for the fact that abortion on demand is the law, so we must accept it.
    If he doesn't express that a law is bad and should be repealed, he's supporting the law by his silence.

It doesn't matter the percentage of how many people support or are against an idea.
    What matters is the idea.
    Ideas that are statist and not respecting of innocent human life, individual liberty, and property rights are left of center by their very nature, no matter the percentage who support them.

For example, 80% supporting universal background checks simply means that 80% are leftist on the issue.

You and I don't get to decide what the center is. The American public as a whole do. At one point in this country believing that blacks were equal to a white man was left of center. The majority of the country believed otherwise. Doesn't make it right. But thats where the the nation was. Some people love to paint others as being extreme on one issue or another, to make them look out of touch. Some actually like to believe this is a "center right nation" It feels good to be in the majority, it's better to paint those that disagree with you as extremists. The center is what the majority of the country feels on one issue or another. The majority of the country disagrees with our (you and I) position on this issue. We are right of center. Thats just a fact. But that doesn't mean we are wrong or they are right. It just means we are on the extreme side of what the center believes. I don't need to feel as If I'm with the majority if I believe I'm right. The majority is often wrong. Freedom and equality win out in this country far more often then not. Thats what makes us more then just red states and blue states. Merica....

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    Most recently he was very much in favor of the NYC arbitrarily stopping and frisking people without probably cause at the behest of their Beloved Dictator, the Mayor. O'Reilly's only justification of his support was that it would "reduce crime."

I consider myself to be a Libertarian. Yet "stop and frisk" laws in New York lowered crime. There is zero doubt about that. There is also no doubt that they trampled on the constitutional rights of many. Much as Arizona immigration laws did. It's a very tough subject, and both sides have points. It's not an easy one thats for sure.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I consider myself to be a Libertarian. Yet "stop and frisk" laws in New York lowered crime. There is zero doubt about that. There is also no doubt that they trampled on the constitutional rights of many. Much as Arizona immigration laws did. It's a very tough subject, and both sides have points. It's not an easy one thats for sure.

I don't care if it made gold pour from people's behinds, it's a crime against natural rights.

It's not a tough subject at all, it's a very easy one, to think otherwise is to sympathize with terrorists.

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    I don't care if it made gold pour from people's behinds, it's a crime against natural rights.

It's not a tough subject at all, it's a very easy one, to think otherwise is to sympathize with terrorists.

What does stop and frisk laws in NY which target young thugs in Harlem (mainly) have to do with sympathizing with the terrorists?

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I agree it's not a right/left issue. O'Reilly is a statist through and through, which is worse than being on the right or left. At least I can agree with a Conservative or a Liberal on about half the issues, I don't find a single redeeming quality in statist talking heads like Oreilly and most other media talking heads.
    He's pro drug war, pro adventurism overseas, pro social programs(the established ones, in 15 years from now he'll be pro Obamacare), pro gun registration, pro patriot act,the list goes on.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Rupert Murdoch is vehemently pro-control. Why then should his number one mouthpiece spout a different stance? Also, I vehemently disagree with anyone who says that driving a car is a privilege and not a right, and would suggest anyone of that lot re-read Amendment X to our Constitution of these United States of America.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Bill just does not know the difference between a right and a privilage. Registering your vehicle goes hand in hand with one's driver's license; which is a privilage granted by the state. Firearms ownership is a RIGHT granted each citizen under the US Constitution. Come one Bill do some research.

Driving a car is a privlage...Owning a gun is a right...

Do your homework, you have been brainwashed. Driving is as much of a right as owning a firearm, they have both simply been infringed upon by the masses and those representing the masses

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    Do your homework, you have been brainwashed. Driving is as much of a right as owning a firearm, they have both simply been infringed upon by the masses and those representing the masses

Your right. But some think that because it does not say in the constitution "you have a right given by god to drive a car". Thats it's not a right. It is a right.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Your right. But some think that because it does not say in the constitution "you have a right given by god to drive a car". Thats it's not a right. It is a right.

You have as much right to drive a car as I have to ride a pogo stick. That is to say, none whatsoever.

Top Bottom