Bill Gates: Yes, robots really are about to take your jobs.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

The pre-regulation industrial revolution in our own history and in the modern transitional economies such as China and India. Black market labor, such as migrant workers in US fields. Experience as a construction worker both before and after the waves of illegals reached Indiana and drove wages down below minimum wage. Hearing the phrase "if you fall, you're fired before you hit the ground. If you're ok, you're rehired when you stand back up."

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    BehindBlueI's said:
    The pre-regulation industrial revolution in our own history and in the modern transitional economies such as China and India. Black market labor, such as migrant workers in US fields. Experience as a construction worker both before and after the waves of illegals reached Indiana and drove wages down below minimum wage. Hearing the phrase "if you fall, you're fired before you hit the ground. If you're ok, you're rehired when you stand back up."

Some might consider quitting a job with such standards. You know, the thing where you tell your employer that you're not going to work any more unless they raise your pay or stop being douches or whatever you complaint is.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Some say corrupted, some say "sensibly augmented" (the same things people say about boob jobs).

So powerful corporations, trade associations, and unions get to schmooze and bribe politicians to sway votes their way, and that's "sensibly augmented". I know, how about we pass a law that forces people to buy a product? That's a pretty augmented business model if you ask me. Or, how about we pass a law that bans the old thing that's cheap and works well so we can make people buy the new thing that they'd otherwise not buy because it's way more expensive and it sucks? Heh, we can even blame it on global warming to make it sound like we're all ecologically minded.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    More precise, in my opinion.

It's funny that, as these threads progress, the further it seems that I get pushed from my original point, which is that I agree with you on the corruption of the market. I'm just not as certain that it would be as perfect a world without any regulation. What I am certain of is that there is no reason to believe that our markets will ever exist without regulation, at least not in my lifetime. And, finally, I've said this before; we've all grown up and lived our lives under the cuddly-safe blanket of protection that was provided by those abhorrent government regulations, and I think that safe-ness might cloud the judgement of some as to whether or not they were really needed after all.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    It's hilarious how some people here think that a totally "free" market can exist and do everything right, but that's simply a pipe dream. As long as we have a finite amount of resources, no market can ever be truly free.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    BigBoxaJunk said:
    It's funny that, as these threads progress, the further it seems that I get pushed from my original point, which is that I agree with you on the corruption of the market. I'm just not as certain that it would be as perfect a world without any regulation. What I am certain of is that there is no reason to believe that our markets will ever exist without regulation, at least not in my lifetime. And, finally, I've said this before; we've all grown up and lived our lives under the cuddly-safe blanket of protection that was provided by those abhorrent government regulations, and I think that safe-ness might cloud the judgement of some as to whether or not they were really needed after all.

They offered us no safety. Instead of making manufacturing jobs safer, they erased them.

Proper checks and balances like competition and civil liability are what brought us better jobs, better pay and better working conditions.

MisterChester said:
    It's hilarious how some people here think that a totally "free" market can exist and do everything right, but that's simply a pipe dream. As long as we have a finite amount of resources, no market can ever be truly free.

This is fascinating. Have you published a book about economics, by chance? I'd like to buy it and read it so that I can learn.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I don't think anyone one is saying "without any regulation". Though we may disagree on what that regulation looks like. Some people think we need a big bureaucracy of detailed regulations. I think we need some simple laws. Don't defraud anyone. Don't coerce anyone. Don't conspire to fabricate market conditions. Don't take what's not yours. And honor your agreements. Maybe there are a few others, but there doesn't need to be many.

I don't think what you think is a free market is the same thing I think is a free market.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    This is fascinating. Have you published a book about economics, by chance? I'd like to buy it and read it so that I can learn.

No. What I'm saying can go back to the question of "what makes a free market free?" Is it simply regulations? What constitutes free? If we compare ourselves to the world then we certainly are more free than most places, but that doesn't mean we are as free as can be. There are always forces driving markets, like supply and demand. Or the invisible hand of the market. Do these forces make it any more or less free? I suppose I'm looking more at the philosophical aspect of it.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

Reminds me of a commercial on TV awhile back where some guy named Dave lived in a "Perfect" world. He drove to work in a lane that was marked "Dave Only", and when he got there, a sign said "No Parking, except for Dave".

That's why I really doubt that anybody really does even want a free market. They may say they do, and they may even think that they do, but until I see a large angry group of people marching and carrying signs to protest regulations that benefit them, but that they object to on grounds that it infringes on someone else's freedom, I won't believe it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Reminds me of a commercial on TV awhile back where some guy named Dave lived in a "Perfect" world. He drove to work in a lane that was marked "Dave Only", and when he got there, a sign said "No Parking, except for Dave".

That's why I really doubt that anybody really does even want a free market. They may say they do, and they may even think that they do, but until I see a large angry group of people marching and carrying signs to protest regulations that benefit them, but that they object to on grounds that it infringes on someone else's freedom, I won't believe it.

That's a good point. But I wouldn't say carrying signs to protest is the only way to verify consistency.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    MisterChester said:
    No. What I'm saying can go back to the question of "what makes a free market free?" Is it simply regulations? What constitutes free? If we compare ourselves to the world then we certainly are more free than most places, but that doesn't mean we are as free as can be. There are always forces driving markets, like supply and demand. Or the invisible hand of the market. Do these forces make it any more or less free? I suppose I'm looking more at the philosophical aspect of it.

Supply and demand should really be the only forces at work in a free market.

[h=2]free market[/h] noun : an economic market or system in which prices are based on competition among private businesses and not controlled by a government

BigBoxaJunk said:

Some of us do.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    And I believe that there are "a lot of other labor requirements" that are necessary to compel industry to provide a safe workplace and a fair wage.
    BS, WTF is a fair wage? An amount some self-entitled, no to low skilled, needs to raise his/her 4 children on in the lifestyle they WANT but do not have the means to get?

Top Bottom