• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjack

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    ...The sensors will automatically detect spikes in demand for power that the grid is struggling to meet, and temporarily shut off the appliances...

i realize this is about Britain but since they're the "testbed" for all this surveillance tech., i thought you'd like to see what's coming our way. here's the link.

Big brother to switch off your fridge: Power giants to make millions - but you must pay for 'sinister' technology | Mail Online

don't worry too much... i'm sure they'll leave your T.V. on...

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    ...The sensors will automatically detect spikes in demand for power that the grid is struggling to meet, and temporarily shut off the appliances...

i realize this is about Britain but since they're the "testbed" for all this surveillance tech., i thought you'd like to see what's coming our way. here's the link.

Big brother to switch off your fridge: Power giants to make millions - but you must pay for 'sinister' technology | Mail Online

When I lived in Indy, I kept getting pestered by IPL to do the same with my A/C. At that point, it was on a volunteer basis, but I doubt it would stay that way for long.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon

That is why I am totally self reliant should we have any power outages....I wont be able to watch TV all night or sit at my computer..but I can still use them for info.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    That is why I am totally self reliant should we have any power outages....I wont be able to watch TV all night or sit at my computer..but I can still use them for info.

The last time we had severe weather, every TV station and radio station was pre-empted by the EBS alerts. That meant I couldn't watch the weather reports being broadcast by the local news, which was MUCH more detailed and up-to-the-second, with live weather radar tracking and analysis. No, instead I got one sentence and a black screen. On every channel. That I couldn't bypass. I had to resort to looking at a radar map (with no analysis) on my phone. :xmad:

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    The last time we had severe weather, every TV station and radio station was pre-empted by the EBS alerts. That meant I couldn't watch the weather reports being broadcast by the local news, which was MUCH more detailed and up-to-the-second, with live weather radar tracking and analysis. No, instead I got one sentence and a black screen. On every channel. That I couldn't bypass. I had to resort to looking at a radar map (with no analysis) on my phone. :xmad:
    My solution to that was to buy a cheap portable scanner. When the weather gets bad I can listen directly to the weather spotters and bypass the TV, radar, and weather radio completely. I usually know what's going on about ten minutes before it's on TV or radio.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

Even these reports have gotten to the point of absurdity. The last storm we had it was all over the news with reporters standing outside announcing it was raining. Rainstorms happen, since when did they become a major news story?

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Even these reports have gotten to the point of absurdity. The last storm we had it was all over the news with reporters standing outside announcing it was raining. Rainstorms happen, since when did they become a major news story?

Since they decided the "news" was anything that could be slanted as "keeping us safe".

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    My solution to that was to buy a cheap portable scanner. When the weather gets bad I can listen directly to the weather spotters and bypass the TV, radar, and weather radio completely. I usually know what's going on about ten minutes before it's on TV or radio.

Oh, I had workarounds, but the point was that they disabled my best source of weather information right when I needed it the most. It irritated the hell out of me. I like the idea of the EBS, but to make it so that you can't acknowledge the message and return to the broadcast is just stupid and potentially dangerous.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Wisconsin Electric had a plan like that for water heaters, that they would drop every ones water heaters off during peak demand. I lived near Door county for a while in the early 80's. Most people liked it because it gave you a break on your electric bill.

Top Bottom