• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Ok, that thing is really cool! They had some X-Frames at the shop when I bought my 329, and I'll be honest, I considered it for a minute. A 4" like yours but in .460 would suit me best, since I'm already loading .45 Colt. Ultimately I went with the 329 because while I'm not afraid to shoot a .460 or .500, I am scared to carry one for miles up and down mountains. I guess it's still only about half the weight of an 870 or a Guide Gun, though, so it's really all a matter of perspective. I am also kinda curious how much those oversized magnum cartridges give up ballistically out of the shorter barrel, as most of the X-frames I see are the long-barreled varieties.

Have you ever actually carried that thing, and if so how was it? What kind of environment were you in, and what kind of holster/carry rig works best?

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    My 2 big bores I currently have.
    S&W 329PD
    S&W Model 329PD .44 Magnum LS.jpg
    Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter .44 Mag
    Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter .44 Magnum RS with Burris 1x4 scope.jpg
    I wish I still had these.....
    S&W 329NG .44 Mag
    IMG_20130214_134733_248.jpg
    Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag
    DSC01138.JPG
    Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Mag
    DSC01172.JPG
    I have also had a S&W 629 Trail Boss, a Interarms Virginian Dragoon .44 Mag and 2 Ruger Redhawks, but I don't have pictures of those for whatever reason.
    I need to get more .44's.........

Last edited:

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    S&W 329NG .44 Mag
    IMG_20130214_134733_248.jpg
    That is awesome! Those had a steel cylinder, correct? How did shooting it compare to your 329PD?

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    O I am also kinda curious how much those oversized magnum cartridges give up ballistically out of the shorter barrel, as most of the X-frames I see are the long-barreled varieties.

Have you ever actually carried that thing, and if so how was it? What kind of environment were you in, and what kind of holster/carry rig works best?

Thanks for your curiosity. Honestly, I've never chronographed the velocity from this 4" barrel, as I'm sure that the manufacturers use longer barrels for their tests.
    I still feel that it's enough fps to put down anything that walks in North America.

I've carried this extensively out west .... Colorado, Wyoming. With the Galco Sport holster (either strong-side, or crossdraw) and a pair of sturdy suspenders, I've hiked everywhere with it, as pictured. No problems encountered.
    I also have a cross-chest, and a shoulder holster for it.
    IMG_7901-XL.jpg

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    That is awesome! Those had a steel cylinder, correct? How did shooting it compare to your 329PD?
    It actually recoiled less than the 329PD. It was more of a straight back push than snappy. I believe the cylinder was steel, but I can't remember for sure. The Trail Boss I had was an all stainless, 3 inch Magna-Ported .44 and it had ridiculous recoil, so I sold it.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    It actually recoiled less than the 329PD. It was more of a straight back push than snappy. I believe the cylinder was steel, but I can't remember for sure. The Trail Boss I had was an all stainless, 3 inch Magna-Ported .44 and it had ridiculous recoil, so I sold it.
    Was it the recoil, or the muzzle blast from the Magnaporting that was the problem? I don't find the recoil from my 2 3/4" Model 69 to be all that horrible (for a .44), but I did have a 5" ported Taurus .44 at one time that was decidedly unpleasant due to the pressure wave and other junk spitting back at me out of those ports. I've had a distaste for porting ever since.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    I
    Was it the recoil, or the muzzle blast from the Magnaporting that was the problem? I don't find the recoil from my 2 3/4" Model 69 to be all that horrible (for a .44), but I did have a 5" ported Taurus .44 at one time that was decidedly unpleasant due to the pressure wave and other junk spitting back at me out of those ports. I've had a distaste for porting ever since.
    I guess it could have been that, but it sure seemed to be alot more felt recoil. But it was at an outdoor range under an awning, so the blast from the porting probably did have alot to do with it. It was not fun, irregardless.
    I am not a big fan of porting or muzzle brakes either. I do have a Griffin Micro-Comp for my 9mm Glocks that does a good job for what it is, but I go back and forth with it on or off.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I

I guess it could have been that, but it sure seemed to be alot more felt recoil. But it was at an outdoor range under an awning, so the blast from the porting probably did have alot to do with it. It was not fun, irregardless.
    I am not a big fan of porting or muzzle brakes either. I do have a Griffin Micro-Comp for my 9mm Glocks that does a good job for what it is, but I go back and forth with it on or off.
    I shot a comped P365 recently, and there wasn't really any noticeable blast, but there's a lot less propellent to burn in a 9mm than a .44Mag! That .44 just spewed fire everywhere. I'm also not sure how much difference the comp on that 365 was making for shootability....I don't think it was enough that I'd go out of my way to put it on if it wasn't already there.

Top Bottom